Bike Box Disposal

Raffky

Bike Box Disposal

Postby Raffky » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:34 am

Hi, I'm flying into Melbourne airport for a Victorian tour and plan to cycle from the airport. Does anyone have tips on a prefered method to dispose of the bike box? I have read about finding hiding places but, figured I'd try and find out a right way, if there is one. Is there a correct disposal place or do others cut up the box and leave it near a bin? Thanks.

Uncle Just

Re: Bike Box Disposal

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:08 am

I took the used box over to the oversized/unclaimed baggage area on the ground floor when I flew Virgin and they took it from me. Note this was a few years ago. If unsure ask the airline staff when you collect your bike where you can leave the box. If it's in good nic they may keep it for someone else to use.

Raffky

Postby Raffky » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:17 pm

Sounds pretty sensible. Thanks for tip. I'll let you know how it goes.

Raffky

Postby Raffky » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:37 pm

In a follow up to my original query, I can report that the arrival in Melbourne was no drama. I assembled my bike in a quiet corner of of the large covered car park and then left the box next to the recycling bin at the car hire section (the box was old and had done three trips). I even spied a few spots where I could (and should) have left it for later pick up as I have done in some other locations.

The departure from Melbourne definitely was a drama. I arrived at Melbourne airport on Easter Monday for my return flight. Qantas did not have any bike boxes and there were no second hand ones in oversized luggage (I learned that they do accept them in oversized luggage, as mentioned by Uncle). Qantas then directed me to go to Virgin to buy one. Virgin would not sell me one as I was not flying with them. End result? I had to fly and leave my bike in Melbourne with my son. There was swearing. Very average service from Qantas, even if it was Easter. I should have called ahead to check with Qantas that they had boxes, as I have done in the past. My lesson learned is that I should always have a back up plan.

At least the trip was great.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:36 pm

Qantas now share services internationally with Emirates. How on earth do they cope?? Emirates do not require a boxed bike - we took ours to Europe in GE Bodybags. No problems at all, and the Bodybags packed up small enough that we could carry them with us on our tour, to be used on the return flight.

Qantas will now have an inconsistent rule for domestic versus international flights. There is really no need for this 'box compulsion'. If they cannot even manage to supply boxes at the departure points it is outrageous.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."