The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

trailgumby

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:07 pm

Me, this morning. Mona Vale Road westbound, coming to the end of that short pinch before the road returns to suburbia.

Went to point to a group of sticks out to the guys behind me who wereparticipating in the Bobbin Head Classic, and almost wobbled into them myself :x

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:02 pm

trailgumby wrote:Went to point to a group of sticks out to the guys behind me who wereparticipating in the Bobbin Head Classic, and almost wobbled into them myself :x
If you move your gripping hand onto the tops, as close to the stem as possible it should redce the chance of this recurring.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:06 pm

trailgumby wrote:Me, this morning. Mona Vale Road westbound, coming to the end of that short pinch before the road returns to suburbia.

Went to point to a group of sticks out to the guys behind me who wereparticipating in the Bobbin Head Classic, and almost wobbled into them myself :x
The shoulder on that pinch is very narrow and there is fast moving traffic so I would suggest you leave both hands on the bars and just call "stick left/right".

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:04 am

Cyclist on Oxford St, Sydney this morning rides through red light, oblivious to the motorcycle policeman in the right hand lane who promptly pulls her over.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:25 am

biker jk wrote:Cyclist on Oxford St, Sydney this morning rides through red light, oblivious to the motorcycle policeman in the right hand lane who promptly pulls her over.
owned

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:12 pm

biker jk wrote:Cyclist on Oxford St, Sydney this morning rides through red light, oblivious to the motorcycle policeman in the right hand lane who promptly pulls her over.
More please Mr Plod. Help shut up the "Nurrr, rego" dills.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

zero wrote: I don't know how anyone thinks its reasonable to perform a right turn by left passing everyone and then planting yourself in front of the right lane queue. Even if the lights do stay red whilst you do that, it is not a reasonable thing to do, and if bike boxes are encouraging that then they are no good.
Again .. it depends on the situation.

One of my regular commute routes has a two-lane rat run, right turn from right lane only, into a 3-lane highway/major road. The opposing traffic is more often than not 0-1 cars. The light sequence is long, since its a minor road into a major one.

I left-pass the (usually long) queue and park myself in front of the right lane. When the light goes green, I pull all the way into the intersection, and turn into the leftmost lane after the turn. The car behind is held up for no more than 1-2s at most, as they can overtake me basically in the turn if there's no oncoming traffic, and have to wait for any oncoming cars otherwise.

There's often motorbikes who do exactly the same thing, and I don't see the difference in this situation, nor the problem.

edited: unless I've misquoted/understood you, and you're only commenting on the right turn in front of traffic which was going to go straight. In which case, ignore the above.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:30 pm

I nominate the stuffwit today who pushed in front of me on a Roadie at a set of lights, ran the lights and the next four sets after that, did not indicate once his intentions to drivers when changing lanes or turning, treated it all as a race (ie constantly looking over his shoulder at me, sprinting out of the saddle and trying so hard he couldn't keep a straight line annoying drivers, funny thing was by the time he turned off he had made a grand total of 50m on me and I had barely raised a sweat.
After he ran one of the set of lights a passenger in a car next to me was pointing the guy out and caught my attention- we both shook our head at this guys idiocy. I hope this one person realises that other cyclists also dislike the behaviour.

alexander

Postby alexander » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:17 am

^ cavendish commuter. :roll:
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:30 am

The two dumb cyclists who ran the red light at the corner of Oxford St and Glenmore Rd Paddington this morning. I was turning right from Glenmore Rd into Oxford St and given the regularity of red light runners here I always check left to see what's coming down the hill. Funnily enough when I yelled "red light" at the cyclists running the red they pretended not to hear anything. Mind you, since they're often wired for sound, that could be the reason. Morons.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:32 am

Was she on a trendy bike, and not wearing a helmet? ;)

I'll nominate the dumb cyclist as the one near Wallgrove Road last night who nearly collected me head on (he was in the wrong lane). Fortunately I was going slowly - but the incident scared the heck out of me. :(

And second lot, the Police on a cycleway the other week riding two-abreast. The one coming head-on towards me in my lane turned to talk to his colleague and wobbled all over the place. With flat-bars, they ought to be keeping single-file - especially when a bike is coming towards them. Fortunately he realised when I shouted out "bike ahead".

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:47 am

g-boaf wrote:And second lot, the Police on a cycleway the other week riding two-abreast. The one coming head-on towards me in my lane turned to talk to his colleague and wobbled all over the place. With flat-bars, they ought to be keeping single-file - especially when a bike is coming towards them. Fortunately he realised when I shouted out "bike ahead".
need to air zound those MOFOs :mrgreen:

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:26 am

Pedestrian thinks it is a good idea to walk across the road with his four-legged friend.
Four-legs gets to the middle of the road and suddenly stops and does a big dump.
Meanwhile 2 cars come around the corner and have to pull up and wait for the job to finish.
Dog completes the road crossing as if nothing had happened.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:31 am

LOL!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:51 am

biker jk wrote:The two dumb cyclists who ran the red light at the corner of Oxford St and Glenmore Rd Paddington this morning. I was turning right from Glenmore Rd into Oxford St and given the regularity of red light runners here I always check left to see what's coming down the hill. Funnily enough when I yelled "red light" at the cyclists running the red they pretended not to hear anything. Mind you, since they're often wired for sound, that could be the reason. Morons.
Must be blitz day - 1 motorbike cop & 3 bicycle cops at the corner of College St & Park St, with another 2 bicycle cops riding haphazardly to the north along College St.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:06 pm

elantra wrote:Pedestrian thinks it is a good idea to walk across the road with his four-legged friend.
Four-legs gets to the middle of the road and suddenly stops and does a big dump.
Meanwhile 2 cars come around the corner and have to pull up and wait for the job to finish.
Was it a shih tzu?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:34 pm

biker jk wrote:
elantra wrote:Pedestrian thinks it is a good idea to walk across the road with his four-legged friend.
Was it a shih tzu?
Did the owner pick it up? Gives the rest of us a bad name when irresponsible, inconsiderate dog owners leave their dog' s turds everywhere :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:37 pm

biker jk wrote:
Was it a shih tzu?
Or maybe a POO dle :lol:

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:44 pm

biker jk wrote:The two dumb cyclists who ran the red light at the corner of Oxford St and Glenmore Rd Paddington this morning. I was turning right from Glenmore Rd into Oxford St and given the regularity of red light runners here I always check left to see what's coming down the hill. Funnily enough when I yelled "red light" at the cyclists running the red they pretended not to hear anything. Mind you, since they're often wired for sound, that could be the reason. Morons.
I was slowing down as I head into a red light. The cyclist in front looked back, and glanced to the left. As I stopped he ran the red at a snails pace. When the light went green, I over took him in about 30 seconds. But alas, as I stopped for the next set of red lights, he over took me and turned off to the right........

Don't get the mind set of some of they cyclists, its certainly not about the speed or the need to get some where fast......

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:58 am

had an argument with a pedestrian on the kurilpa bridge this morning. he was heading towards me. I was on the left hand side. I saw him and rang my bell. I came to a stop (unclipped). He initially said "sorry". I asked him to "please keep left" (as the markings on the ground suggest). I took off. The exuses then started "But it's raining". my response "I'll use that excuse with the police next time I drive down the wrong side of the road". swear words from the pedestrian followed after he suggested I go back to him and have a chat.

best thing was, it wasn't raining.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:52 am

Peak hour traffic in Canberra CBD this morning and it's raining, already been several collisions reported on the roads, when dreadlocked hippy riding a MTB (BSO) no helmet and no hands through a red light as traffic is trying to go through and then continues down the road sans hands and helmet and then decides at the last minute without a headcheck or signal to continue his journey on the footpath. I knew just looking at him that he was going to do something stupid and he didn't surprise me.

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:48 am

Heading home after lunch crossing Kurilpa Bridge, I encountered peds 4 wide at the hairpin. Rolled up behind them as they started cutting the corner. I dinged my bell twice quietly as I approached the closing gap on their right. As I passed, the fat suit guy says he should shove the bell up my a $$. The women stopped giggling when I put my bike down and grabbed him by the tie and told him to go ahead. He tried to say I was assaulting him but pointed out he threatened me so it's all good. He then said he does boxing. Good, about time someone put up a decent fight. Sadly he was all talk, so choked him with his tie for a few seconds while explaining how manners were important.
Turning into a right a $$ hole but I swear I only do it when warranted.
Further along the path 2 mums were dealing with pram issues and apologised for blocking the path, even though they weren't blocking it at all. I stopped and helped fix the pram.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:18 am

I want to ride with you tomca. you have all the fun

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:47 am

Had the opposite to tomca this morning. Three peds across the path, me in no hurry. There were puddles on the path the three were avoiding, and we were approaching a pinch point chicane thing that leads to the road. I chose to cruise up behind them and was going to wait until past the pinch point. One of them looked behind and they couldn't get out of the way soon enough. Cheerful greetings all around, they said I should have just told them to get out of the way to which I responded I would have rung the bell if necessary. All three are regular morning exercise walkers.

Fortunately they aren't all dumb, arrogant etc.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:31 pm

Pity Tomca didn't get it on video!