West Gipplsland Mini Tour

VeloGiro

West Gipplsland Mini Tour

Postby VeloGiro » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi folks - a few of us from work (Royal Botanic Gardens Cranbourne) headed of for a mini tour through some areas of west Gippsland on the weekend 21/22 March - There were 5 riders in the group all of different levels of riding experience/fitness etc...The route was Longwarry - Jindivick - Noojee - Tanjil South - Moe. We had a blast!

If your interested to read more about our experiences we did a ride blog:

http://wp.me/p4tntL-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers

TraceyG

Re: West Gipplsland Mini Tour

Postby TraceyG » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:10 pm

Looks like a great ride!

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:13 am

Yep it's beautiful out there. My father-in-law has a farm near Jindivick. I took my bike down over Easter for the first time and rode this : http://www.strava.com/activities/132126019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saw my first every Lyrebird on the climb up from Noojee to Neerim Nth.

BTW I think in your blog you mistook 'Sterling Rd' for 'Sheffield Rd'...yes it is like a roller-coaster :D
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:54 pm

Yep - Sheffield it is! Lyrebird spotting - what a treat! Great part of the world!

Thanks for the post!

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:08 pm

Yeah live in the area, love getting out for rides on the weekend around here.

My Garmin did show -3.5C yesterday morning for a bit tho. ;)

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

toppity

Postby toppity » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:21 pm

I live in longwarry and have yet to venture that far on the bike. Looks great.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:23 pm

toppity wrote:I live in longwarry and have yet to venture that far on the bike. Looks great.

The lads took me to Jindi a week or so ago to climb some minor hills - it wasn't pretty!

What else can be said about Gippy riding though - unequalled!
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:19 pm

You live in Longwarry and have not ridden to Noojee ?? HTFU and get out there, I say :P

Great report on a wondeful bush country tour. I read the story of Darryl Tonkin and Jacksons Track about 6 years ago and found it to be a wonderful, inspiring story, that this man had such a heart of gold in times when Aboriginal people were not even considered ciizens of their own land.

BTW re the trains and buses. Vline policy is that scheduled buses (aka on the timetable) do not carry bikes. However any train replacement bus service..... what you were on... is required to transport bikes. So if you are on a scheduled train service you will be transported to yur destination, regardless. Happened to us one dark, winter night at Watergardens. We were on the train from Woodend. Riding may have been an option but I know nothing about roads out that way. We waited and finally got on the last bus for passengers. No room in the luggage compartment for bikes !! No worries, the driver let us bring the bikes up in the aisle of the bus (highly illegal actually) and we got taken to Southern Cross :)
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Thu May 08, 2014 7:56 am

il padrone wrote:
BTW re the trains and buses. Vline policy is that scheduled buses (aka on the timetable) do not carry bikes. However any train replacement bus service..... what you were on... is required to transport bikes. So if you are on a scheduled train service you will be transported to yur destination, regardless. Happened to us one dark, winter night at Watergardens. We were on the train from Woodend.
Thanks IP for the info on train replacements...it seems to be quite a regular thing for Vline trains to be replaced by coaches, particularly on long weekends for track works and the like. On the back of your comments re Tonkin i have just ordered a copy of the book, reckon it should (might be?) compulsory reading for schools in Vic! Cheers