Are GoPro's Perpetuating the Hatred?

Xplora

Re: Are GoPro's Perpetuating the Hatred?

Postby Xplora » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:00 pm

Yep mat, the road rules don't require you to be civil or pleasant, just comply. He could have just been rude, but instead he became the focus of national derision as well.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Don't shoot the messenger. People, bad ones, cause the hatred - not inanimate objects like cameras.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:38 pm

Have been using my camera on the rear this week, in the wake of the vitriolic and bigoted anti-cyclist editorial from the Australian.

I just felt that it was likely that there would be less patience and more anger from drivers, as has occurred during previous media beatups on the subject - and which resulted in a short stay in hospital for me a few years ago when Jones et al were ranting about "Clover's bike lanes".

I have to say that drivers appear to have been even more courteous than usual in heavy traffic.

Have they seen the GoPro? Hard to say. At least some would have.
Last edited by trailgumby on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:46 pm

We need a nice jersey with something like this on it:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:47 pm

trailgumby wrote:Have been using my camera on the rear this week, in the wake of the vitriolic and bigoted anti-cyclist editorial from the Australian.

I just felt that it was likely that there would be less patience and more anger from drivers, as has occurred during previous media beatups on the subject - and which resulted in a short stay in hospital for me.

I have to say that drivers appear to have been even more courteous than usual in heavy traffic.
Probably not Australian readers ... now if it was the Herald Sun :)

Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:We need a nice jersey with something like this on it:

Here's a start...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:36 pm

Awesome, now all we need is Mr T or someone to host a weekly Moron Motorists show and we're set.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:27 am

Well this driver is "upset" because CyclingMikey posted the video of his driving and post incident discussion on YouTube. Of course it was CyclingMikey's fault that Mr Robert Lewis didn't know how to pass safely ...

Andrew

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:33 am

It's amazing that in normal society, apologies are essentially the way we ask for forgiveness, and due to a Christian cultural heritage, the apology is normally accepted. Hurt has been done by the driver, and they don't seem to appreciate the enormity of their mistake. It sounds like a genuine mistake. That's fine... I can handle that. But mistakes, and apologies, do not fix problems. They suggest regret, but they don't resolve the issue that caused it.

A genuine apology focuses on the hurt person. I am sure I'll close shave the hell out of someone some day and it will be my fault. I hope I will be man enough to say "jeez, I really stuffed up, are you OK? Are you sure? I should know better but I made a mistake" because at the end of the day, part of an apology is letting the other person know that they are not to blame.

Having your failures paraded around the world might not feel good, but that's part of the process. Don't make the mistake, and you have nothing to be called to account over.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:43 am

Xplora wrote:It's amazing that in normal society, apologies are essentially the way we ask for forgiveness, and due to a Christian cultural heritage, the apology is normally accepted. Hurt has been done by the driver, and they don't seem to appreciate the enormity of their mistake. It sounds like a genuine mistake. That's fine... I can handle that. But mistakes, and apologies, do not fix problems. They suggest regret, but they don't resolve the issue that caused it.

A genuine apology focuses on the hurt person. I am sure I'll close shave the hell out of someone some day and it will be my fault. I hope I will be man enough to say "jeez, I really stuffed up, are you OK? Are you sure? I should know better but I made a mistake" because at the end of the day, part of an apology is letting the other person know that they are not to blame.

Having your failures paraded around the world might not feel good, but that's part of the process. Don't make the mistake, and you have nothing to be called to account over.
^^^ best post of the thread.

Too many people wanting to be the BIG man and not let their pride be hurt as well as not take accountability of their own actions. So they choose the 'victim' role instead of owning up and accepting they made the wrong decision and should apologize.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:36 pm

Blackrock wrote:With dash-cams and multiple cameras recording the countless cyclist and motorist interactions each day, are we feeding the anger between these two groups? Is the wider demographic reach fueling the hatred?
It is a false dichotomy that there are two groups and that there is widespread hatred between them. The war on our roads was created by the media to sell papers. It is very rare for me to come across a cyclist hating motorist on the road and I would say I could count the number of times on one hand. On the other hand, I have lost track of the number of motorists that have done more than they needed to in order to make sure I was safe.

The numbers commenting negatively on cycling videos or articles seem to be a vocal minority to me. I hazard a guess that a lot of those are keyboard warriers who, in real life, would never treat a cyclist like that face to face. For the real haters, it is not the go-pro that is causing the problem. Have fun, ride your bike, watch out for idiots.
<removed by request>

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:14 am

It looks like even the man upstairs has taken a dislike to helmet cams and is chucking rocks at people who wear them:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-05/n ... te/5369236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Norwegian skydiver narrowly escaped being hit by an object, thought to be a meteorite, that passed only metres away from him while jumping over Norway, according to a video aired by public broadcaster NRK.

The footage, broadcast by NRK on Thursday (local time), was recorded by cameras fixed on the sportsman's helmet and shows what looks like a large rock passing at very high speed near Anders Helstrup, who had just opened his parachute.

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:06 am

Scott_C wrote:It looks like even the man upstairs has taken a dislike to helmet cams and is chucking rocks at people who wear them:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-05/n ... te/5369236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Norwegian skydiver narrowly escaped being hit by an object, thought to be a meteorite, that passed only metres away from him while jumping over Norway, according to a video aired by public broadcaster NRK.

The footage, broadcast by NRK on Thursday (local time), was recorded by cameras fixed on the sportsman's helmet and shows what looks like a large rock passing at very high speed near Anders Helstrup, who had just opened his parachute.
Absolute absurdity that it is a meteorite. The most likely explanation was a rock somehow ended up in the parachute bag.

The fact that they got stills of it on camera shows that it wasn't very high speed at all. The relative speed differential seems entirely appropriate fr the rock in parachute bag explanation.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:06 pm

i've said it before and so has Tony Abbott in his treatise on motoring - it's about status and "being king in your car". you can pilot it where and as you please, and with 2 tonnes behind you, it matters. cyclists and cameras used by cyclists are perceived as a threat to motorists' superiority - simple. that's what they can't handle.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:49 pm

human909 wrote:Absolute absurdity that it is a meteorite. The most likely explanation was a rock somehow ended up in the parachute bag.

The fact that they got stills of it on camera shows that it wasn't very high speed at all. The relative speed differential seems entirely appropriate fr the rock in parachute bag explanation.
Agree with your opinion on the meteorite but I doubt the bagged rock hypothesis.
Was it just me or did anyone else notice what appeared to be an African Swallow not 20m above the jumper as he ripped?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:13 pm

Coconuts!

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:30 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Was it just me or did anyone else notice what appeared to be an African Swallow not 20m above the jumper as he ripped?
I think you will find it was a European Swallow.
<removed by request>

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:34 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Was it just me or did anyone else notice what appeared to be an African Swallow not 20m above the jumper as he ripped?
I think you will find it was a European Swallow.
I'm not sure about this, I only saw the one. :?
London Boy 29/12/2011