West Melbourne transport troubles

bagelonabike

West Melbourne transport troubles

Postby bagelonabike » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:01 pm

I live out west here in Melbourne and like everyone else, am seeing the population grow far faster than the supporting infrastructure. The cycling options for commuting here are a bit grim, especially getting to the train stations up roads with really dangerous riding conditions.

Riding the whole way in to the city is great if you can stomach the distance - but too far for the casual commuter.

I've written a blog post comparing the commuter times and costs, and sent that on to the organisers of the current campaign http://www.getwyndhammoving.com.au. I like the idea of the campaign but it seems a bit opportunistic to come across looking "green" in the logo without backing that up with policy. Is that unreasonable of me?

What I will be watching with interest, is their "race" - which is a cool idea:

"At 7.30am on Wednesday, April 2, 15 people from three different suburbs across Wyndham will drive, bike or take public transport and battle it out to see who will beat the traffic and arrive at Federation Square first.

As part of the race, residents are being invited to join the online competition and have a guess which mode of transport and start location will arrive first, and their arrival time."

marty_one

Re: West Melbourne transport troubles

Postby marty_one » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:49 am

One of the guys I work with lives right near point cook, which he does cycle in almost every day. However from his description of the roads he uses it sounds a little unsafe to me. But he doesn't seem to think its that bad. What would be good to see is the routes that everyone took.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:20 am

Pretty disappointing for mine that number 2 on the 'What we need' page is for the East West link. To put it simply the cost of that road would cover several times over a massive upgrade to public transport and bike infrastructure throughout Wyndham (and surrounding municipalities). Not to mention it being a complete rort of taxpayers money that dwarves even the desal plant.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:54 am

Great analysis of the issues, bagelonabike. Unbelievable that they've not even considered bike access and facilities for the stations...
rangersac wrote:Pretty disappointing for mine that number 2 on the 'What we need' page is for the East West link.
+1
Sounds like election-year propaganda rather than a genuine analysis of future transport needs IMO :|
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

bagelonabike

Postby bagelonabike » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:30 am

marty_one wrote:One of the guys I work with lives right near point cook, which he does cycle in almost every day. However from his description of the roads he uses it sounds a little unsafe to me. But he doesn't seem to think its that bad. What would be good to see is the routes that everyone took.
It seems there are basically 2 options of either going through Altona past all the refineries, which is shorter and in places a bit hairy - but also just not all that pleasant or, a longer route round the pedestrian/shared bike path through the coaster estuary. The later is a great ride, mostly traffic free but exposed to the wind and maybe 5km longer. I'll post that route properly later on.

bagelonabike

Postby bagelonabike » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:35 am

rangersac wrote:Pretty disappointing for mine that number 2 on the 'What we need' page is for the East West link. To put it simply the cost of that road would cover several times over a massive upgrade to public transport and bike infrastructure throughout Wyndham (and surrounding municipalities). Not to mention it being a complete rort of taxpayers money that dwarves even the desal plant.
I think what got me is the lack of long term thought in these plans. I don't think any of the proposals ill solve the issue of keeping up with population growth? For the public transport options, people still need to get to the train stations first, and at the moment that's the area that seems to need the most attention!!

I'll do a ride to Williams landing sometime outside rush hour to check that out properly too...I've only tackled it by (mostly stationary) bus so far.

alexander

Postby alexander » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:07 pm

The sceptic in me says the bicyclists who've been chosen aren't going to be true challengers, so it's rigged towards them having a result that says more roads for cars and buses, then more rail, bikes last.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

bagelonabike

Postby bagelonabike » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:44 pm

alexander wrote:The sceptic in me says the bicyclists who've been chosen aren't going to be true challengers, so it's rigged towards them having a result that says more roads for cars and buses, then more rail, bikes last.
Details for their driver have just been released :wink:

alexander

Postby alexander » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:11 pm

bagelonabike wrote:
alexander wrote:The sceptic in me says the bicyclists who've been chosen aren't going to be true challengers, so it's rigged towards them having a result that says more roads for cars and buses, then more rail, bikes last.
Details for their driver have just been released :wink:

ha, be interesting to unofficially ride it at the same time and see what happens. my money would be on the bike.

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:16 pm

I commute from Altona Meadows. I commute about 70% road/30% bike path into the cbd. I aim to ride 5 times a fortnight, but extend some of my commutes via Willi which takes the ride from 24km to 30km each way.

I can appreciate the lack of cycling infrastructure out near Point Cook, which would make things challenging commuting from there. Not a great deal of bike lanes. Would riding over the bike path connecting Point Cook to Altona Meadows be an option, then via AM through to Altona?

The bike path from Point Cook through to Williamstown is a nice cruise, but for commuting I prefer going direct to cbd via Altona Meadows - Altona - Altona North - South Kingsville - Spotswood - Yarraville - Footscray - cbd. My normal route.

I used the punt a couple of times years ago. It took time to wait for it, to ride on it, and to then get through Port Melb into the cbd. I prefer Footscray road bike path.

As mentioned Laverton station is impossible to park nowadays at after 7am. I now catch the train from Altona station. Easier to park at, plus great coffee at the station!

Don't care much for the view most rides (being dark at times impacts that). Although the sunset over Altona beach last night wasn't too bad!

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:41 pm

I don't know why people are surprised, 20 years ago there were a handful of suburbs over that way, now a bunch of people drive on the weekend to see the house and land package at whatever is the newest suburb on Geelong Rd, say wow, just 20 minutes from CBD.

Finally settle on the new house and start driving to work, 1 1/2hr 20km commute reality sets in. I have a work colleague that doesn't come in at least one day a week when someone sneezed on the westgate.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:11 am

Good result. Hopefully a rethink of priorities is now in order.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

alexander

Postby alexander » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:20 am

ha, bike is king. I picked it earlier.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:33 am

piledhigher wrote:Finally settle on the new house and start driving to work, 1 1/2hr 20km commute reality sets in.
"If you lived here, you'd be home now." :lol:

bagelonabike

Postby bagelonabike » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:10 pm

rangersac wrote:Good result. Hopefully a rethink of priorities is now in order.
I just hope its taken in, rather than seen as as so bad that 'even a bike is faster' !

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:07 am

Same experiment done from Heidelberg Heights (north-east of the Melbourne CBD and presumably with better transport infrastructure than that in the West) in the same week as the Wyndham Vale one. Also has similar results:

http://simplelives.com.au/banyule-monda ... port-race/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both show bicycles are faster than cars in getting to the CBD in peak hour. And from two different directions.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:20 am

Well considering I see the traffic line up from around 6-6:30 am along the western hwy.. I'm glad I don't drive much at all into work