Heart rate Traning

DANger-is

Heart rate Traning

Postby DANger-is » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:21 pm

I've been riding for about 3 years now I'm starting to improve quite a bit. I've got a heart rate monitor but don't really know what to do with it.

I know about the different training zones and my max heart rate but unsure how to put this info into a training program.

It's been suggested to me that for my longer 70-100km rides that I maintain my HR at 85% but is this the average over the ride or should my HR be at 85% constantly?

I ride with my mate usually and we constantly swap positions, when I'm leading my HR is usually around 95-105% and then when sitting second wheel it will drop back to 80-90%. Is this effective training?

Any knowledge or info would be appreciated

Stefan_A

Re: Heart rate Traning

Postby Stefan_A » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:26 pm

Your HRmax should be the maximum HR you can possibly drive yourself to, so 105% is not on.

Seriously, what are you training for?

DANger-is

Postby DANger-is » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:03 pm

My max HR is currently based off the basic calculation of 220-my age. It probably isn't overly accurate

I'm training for the 3 dams challenge we have in perth in a few weeks

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:15 pm

if you can get to 105% of your max HR then 100% is clearly not your max HR, it is at least what you are getting when you hit "105%", so you need to re set the setingings on your device.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:33 pm

DANger-is wrote:My max HR is currently based off the basic calculation of 220-my age.
If you are going to use heart rates for training (and I wouldn't) then you should find your correct maximum so you can set your zones correctly.

DANger-is

Postby DANger-is » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:43 pm

Ok so first thing is to workout what my actual MHR is, but then what. How do I use my heart rate to maximise my training

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:40 am

You are better off doing a 20 minute time trial after a warmup and basing your HR training off that. It will require an adjustment to how you think about the zones you train in as it will be on a different basis, but it will be more useful - and safer.

For example, my max HR is about 180, 181.

When I'm race fit I can average 171 for an hour in a 50km mtb race. Others may develop their functional threshhold power further away from their HRMax. Setting my training efforrs close to the race based on static number that doesn't account for changes in my HR would not be as effective.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:02 am

DANger-is wrote:Ok so first thing is to workout what my actual MHR is, but then what. How do I use my heart rate to maximise my training
By using the HRM to help guide intensity of effort as suggested by a good training plan that's suitable for your needs, experience, fitness and goals.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:42 pm

DANger-is wrote:My max HR is currently based off the basic calculation of 220-my age. It probably isn't overly accurate

I'm training for the 3 dams challenge we have in perth in a few weeks
You'd be surprised how far you can push yourself. Last year when I was at my peak fitness I hit a max heart rate of 201 according to my garmin at age 41. This year I've hit 196 max heart rate while working my way back to some decent fitness. Both times I was not racing my mate up the GateWay Bridge.

Find a hill you can push yourself up with out killing yourself and find your max heart rate

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:18 pm

Finding your max hr will feel like you are about to die :)

Blame tapatalk
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:41 pm

DANger-is wrote:Ok so first thing is to workout what my actual MHR is, but then what. How do I use my heart rate to maximise my training
you are not going to improve significantly over a few weeks. have you got a longer term training goal? i.e. do you want to go up hills faster, or do longer rides (>80km)?

if your focus is on this 3 dams ride which I have no idea about, and couldn't be bothered googling, I'd suggest you use your HRM not to exhaust yourself prematurely on the 3 dams ride. However, if the ride is longer than you are used to, it will probably be poor food and fluid intake, or discomfort in the saddle that is the higher risk of not completing. If you want guidance on how to use the HRM for the 3 dams, give more info about that ride and your riding experience to date.

Grev

Postby Grev » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:27 pm

I am a “follower” of Joe Friel! The Zones he recommends are somewhat similar to those I have seen for running. He recommends Zones 1 through 4, then 5a, b and c. And yes, the 5 Zones are more than MHR.

Of particular importance is avoiding Zone 3 which is called No Man’s Land. It is too easy for a training workout and too hard for a recovery ride - just wasting time going through the motions.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:52 pm

Grev wrote: He recommends Zones 1 through 4, then 5a, b and c. And yes, the 5 Zones are more than MHR.
I think you'll find Zone 5 is higher than lactate or aerobic threshold heart rate. MHR is just that, maximum, you can't push any higher.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:44 am

Grev wrote:Of particular importance is avoiding Zone 3 which is called No Man’s Land. It is too easy for a training workout and too hard for a recovery ride - just wasting time going through the motions.
The concept of no man's land intensity is physiological nonsense. Adaptations are induced from training at all levels above recovery. Indeed the strategic use of such an intensity can lead to excellent performance gains for many.

Generally what is intended to be conveyed with such a phrase is not to do *all* of your training at such a level of effort, and that mixing up your intensity and volume is a good thing.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:16 pm

Grev wrote:Of particular importance is avoiding Zone 3 which is called No Man’s Land. It is too easy for a training workout and too hard for a recovery ride - just wasting time going through the motions.
I'm not sure that is true.
There is nothing inherently wrong about training in zone 3 so long as it is beneficial for your race goals. If you are racing in events that are longer than about 2 or 3 hours and shorter than about 6 or 7 hours you will spend a lot of time in zone 3.
That said, I have athletes do a considerable amount of zone 3 training in Base 2. It’s great for building muscular endurance early in the season. But as we progress into Base 3 and the Build period the training intensity becomes more like the race – whatever that may be for the athlete in question.
So don’t rule out zone 3 as being wasteful. It may not be.
http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/05/sh ... one-3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<removed by request>

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Use it to check your resting HR each morning. Anything about 10bpm or so above normal and you're still fatigued from the day/s before. Or, you're about to get sick (im my experience a pending infection with be very obvious in resting HR).
Ever gone on a ride and felt flat as a tack, then become sick a day or two later? Your HR knows before you do.

As for max (or more correctly "peak") HR, my preferred method is to use an indoor trainer. You keep a steady cadence, start in an easier gear and change up a gear every minute. Ideally the test should last between 10 and 15min. If you run out of gears, start upping the cadence every minute.
You have to test your max properly, being able to hit more than 100% is nonsense.