Riding to Victor Harbour

kennyrocks

Riding to Victor Harbour

Postby kennyrocks » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm sure most people are aware of the cycleway that runs along the southern expressway. Its great and by joining up with the beach to vines trail you can get to Willunga quite safely, however the next 30-40 kms are not so good. The Victor Harbour Road is around 100km/h most of the way and is notoriously unsafe for cars, let alone cyclists. I'm very hesitant to ride on it.
I know quite a few people ride to Victor, what is the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:30 am

from Willunga, up the old Willunga Hill, turn right and follow the Range Road, flip a right/left on the main road (travel on it for less than 500m IIRC) then down errr, can't recall what the road is called (Funky Swamp Rd or something similar) then in through the back way.

Or up the old freeway path... Mylor, Echunga... Meadows... Ashbourne Valley Rd, Goolwa Rd, Middleton Rd, swing right back into VH.

Peebee

Postby Peebee » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:01 pm

I've done it a couple of times and am planning a round trip down there in a couple of weeks. We go down along the coast via Cement Hill, Aldinga, Sellicks Hill, Myponga and in through Hindmarsh Tiers - so far found very little traffic this way and plenty of room on the road. As usual travel with a group and ensure you wear bright clothes so traffic can see you well in advance

brettjames

Postby brettjames » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:50 pm

I'd be keen to tag along for any group looking to do a run to VH and back.

kennyrocks

Postby kennyrocks » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:44 pm

Thanks for the tips guys,
I rode to Port Elliot yesterday to stay with friends overnight, before returning this afternoon (by car). I took the veloway and beach to vines track to Mclaren Vale, through the town there and to Willunga through the vines on a main (but quietish) road, then up Old Willunga Hill Road (Whats all the fuss about? its not that bad), before taking the Victor Harbour road to Crows Nest road for a nice scenic (and downhill) cruise into Victor. All in all it was a lovely ride, despite the persistent rain, and my furthest at 85km. I felt really good afterwards, like I could've kept going for a while (should have gone for the century! but left it for another day-I had people waiting for me for dinner), which is nice given that the challenge tour is approaching. Also due to thorough stretching upon arrival I felt fine this morning and am about to go put another 30-50 ks on the clock.
Just wanted to make anyone aware of the route that I took who may be wondering, I poured over the maps and I don't think theres a safer way, even to Victor.
Cheers

Oh, I almost forgot-Total Distance: 85km, Total Time: 3 hrs 40 mins, Ave Speed: 23km/h. Not lightning but not bad considering I was very conscious of pacing myself not knowing what to expect on an unfamiliar route on my longest ride so far.

Cycotic

Postby Cycotic » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:18 am

Me too.
I'd be keen to tag along for any group looking to do a run to VH and back.

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:25 pm

Me three.

Tim

dr.gonzo

Postby dr.gonzo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:06 pm

count me in....
If only i could find a Miniature Mongolian Swamp Donkey!

09 Giant TCR Avanced
05 Giant CRX1 - With Carbon Goodies
oh & a sweet Dragster...

PatNZ

Re: Riding to Victor Harbour

Postby PatNZ » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:13 am

I'm keen to try this trip.

rustychisel

Re: Riding to Victor Harbour

Postby rustychisel » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:26 am

sorry Pat, it looks to me as if you're 5 1/2 years too late. We waited for you, honest.