CX Bike Gallery

Fletch

Re: Trek Crocket

Postby Fletch » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:00 pm

Just thought I'd post an up date on the Crocket now that Ive done quite a few km's on him.

I have upgraded the bars to some 3T carbon ergonova's the little extra width nice off road. Have also popped on a thompson layback post just to get me a tad further back. Also swapped the stem for a white rxl, free changeover at Hendry's, although its a better stem it had a slight scratch which is hidden by my garmin anyway.

Have ground out some dirt road km's and some on the road, bike is comfortable, smooth and quite quick.
Has also spent a bit of time in the You Yangs, it flys around the Kurrajong, litrally in the jumps, just need to pay attention in the corners when going quick.
Am going to ride/race it in the upcoming GMBC Crazy 6hr.
In the stockyards have been up and down rockwell, dam view and nanna's paving with no issues at all, bit slower than the MTb through the rock gardens but makes it fun. Handling is stable and inspires confidence, once you get used to being in the drops. Very spritly in the ups, sharp accelerations are instantanious

Next upgrade will be the wheels, have got some 2nd hand Chris King hubs on the way. will investigate some suitable new rims and then he will be finished.

In a nutshell, i love this bike

Pottsy

Re: CX Bike Gallery

Postby Pottsy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:47 pm

I built a new bike to commute on as the old one had useless brakes in the rain.
Was going to build it up with SRAM Hydro, but then the recall happened. Even with a new system on on the way, they lost my trust. Shimano R785 it had to be & boy I am glad.

So much stopping power right here

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:02 pm

that's a mighty fine looking crux you have there.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:08 am

+1 to that.

Ticks all my boxes.

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:19 pm

At the top of Falls Creek during my first Audax Alpine Classic this year. The trunk bag with side panels did not escape notice. "Got beers in there mate? I could do with one!". Fair cop, beginner's mistake. Will avoid the faux pas and be more minimalist next time. I did seem like a commuter who took a wrong turn. "What the .... this isn't the station ... it's a ski resort!"

Fletch

Postby Fletch » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:46 pm

Intersection of Grey River Rd and Benwerrin Mt Sabine rd in the Otways

k1lo5

Postby k1lo5 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:48 pm

Fletch wrote:Image

Nice one Fletch, how do you find the Crockett 5? I just got my hands on a new frameset. Intend on building it up with 1x10 Sram gear! Wheels, like of dislike?

Forget my comments, just read your post (AT) top of page! Look forward to your updates!

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:59 pm

k1lo5 wrote:Nice one Fletch, how do you find the Crockett 5? I just got my hands on a new frameset. Intend on building it up with 1x10 Sram gear! Wheels, like of dislike?

Forget my comments, just read your post (AT) top of page! Look forward to your updates!
do you already have shifters? i've bought a couple of broken shifters to salvage into a pair of good ones... i think i'll end up with a gutted LHS force shifter to use as brake only, then you just need a 10spd RHS one.

one of my bikes is 1x10, this is the other which i've just bought. just need some decent CX tyres now, and i'll give it a crack in a local CX series.

Fletch

Postby Fletch » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:48 pm

k1lo5 wrote:
Fletch wrote:Image

Nice one Fletch, how do you find the Crockett 5? I just got my hands on a new frameset. Intend on building it up with 1x10 Sram gear! Wheels, like of dislike?

Have not had the CK hubs built up. I had a set of bontrager 29 RL wheels from my superfly that have been converted to QR by my LBS, saved some weight over the std wheels and a far few $$$'s as well. I really enjoy this bike and would recommend one to anyone looking for a relatively cheap CX. If I had more cash would love a Boone frameset.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:01 pm

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:13 pm

Crawf wrote:Image
very nice! in hindsight i wish i kept mine... although i'd probably be too precious of it to utilise it properly.

what tyres? i'm looking for some CX tyres for mine, preferably with a fast rolling centre section.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Nice one Crawf

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:43 am

Tyres are Panaracer Crossblaster 31mm running tubeless, pretty narrow but gotta start somewhere, haven't had a chance to ride this setup yet, road training is taking up all my time.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:46 pm

I do like the look of the shimano disc brakes. They have to be a lot quieter then Avids?

Animal_Magnet

Postby Animal_Magnet » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:13 pm

Crawf wrote:Image
Nice Bike Crawf. Is it a Flyxii FR-602 ?. If so am about to pull the trigger on the same frame but through Velobuild where they call it the CX-02 and build it up as a commuter with 105 components and 38mm carbon chinese wheelset.

Cheers

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:31 pm

Yes it is.
Is the price difference much?
Flyxii is pretty cheap and ship almost instantly.

Animal_Magnet

Postby Animal_Magnet » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:03 pm

Crawf wrote:Yes it is.
Velobuild have it for $409. Not sure if Flyxii are the OEM for this design though? I think I saw Flyxii selling it for about $489 a few weeks back. Am about to drop them (Velobuild) an email to confirm availability.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:05 am

Animal_Magnet wrote:
Velobuild have it for $409. Not sure if Flyxii are the OEM for this design though? I think I saw Flyxii selling it for about $489 a few weeks back. Am about to drop them (Velobuild) an email to confirm availability.
flyxii's price is $480, that includes shipping.
was interested so i had a look at the CX-002, comes to $510 shipped... the pictures they use of the frame are the same as the FR-602, but the built up bikes aren't... :shock:

either way, i also had a FR-602 built up as a commuter and it was a fantastic bike... i regret selling it since buying another disc cx.

Animal_Magnet

Postby Animal_Magnet » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:01 pm

mitchy_ wrote:
Animal_Magnet wrote:
flyxii's price is $480, that includes shipping.
was interested so i had a look at the CX-002, comes to $510 shipped... the pictures they use of the frame are the same as the FR-602, but the built up bikes aren't... :shock:

either way, i also had a FR-602 built up as a commuter and it was a fantastic bike... i regret selling it since buying another disc cx.
Yeah Mitchy I love your old one an am modelling mine on it :) except am having red bling with 38mm clinchers. I noticed velobuild had differing buildups and they have more frame pics on their forum.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:23 am

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Maiden ride on my Giant TCX Advance 1

Taking a trip up Nebo via the fire trail

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:50 pm

albertgaleano wrote:Maiden ride on my Giant TCX Advance 1
bastard... i wanted a TCX Adv 1. :lol: love the colour.
what brakes are on it? looks like force shifters. i thought they came with S700 Hydro's, or are you waiting for post recall replacements?

edit - quick look on Giant's website says force with BB7's, their photo shows S700's though.

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:56 pm

The bike came with Force shifter's and the BB7s brakes :)

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:43 pm

Giant switched to selling them with cable discs whilst SRAM was sorting their poop out. They knocked the price down as a result also. Only recently they've begun selling with hydro, although they're doing a number of deals on cable bikes to get rid of them as it's a hell of lot cheaper than the labour to switch back to hydro.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:13 pm

It only took 20,000+km but my 2012 TCX finally saw off road action. Did the 40 odd km heritage rail trail loop in the hills of Perth. Had a ball, such that I am building a set of cross specific wheels (Novatec hubs and Kinlin XC279's). Apologies on bike condition it is my wet weather bike now and gets hand me downs (front wheel) and random color hoods due to cheap prices.
All original rival running gear.