North Sydney: Pacific Highway or Miller St

AndrewCowley

North Sydney: Pacific Highway or Miller St

Postby AndrewCowley » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:32 pm

What's the recommended way to get from the SHB through North Sydney to the cycle way at Naremburn?

Is it to go along Miller St, up the hill, left at Ridge St and then right into West St? That seems to be the most straightforward way. How safe is this during the late afternoon / evening peak?

There's also the Pacific Highway and then right into West St. But not sure how to make that right turn safely.

queequeg

Re: North Sydney: Pacific Highway or Miller St

Postby queequeg » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:21 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:What's the recommended way to get from the SHB through North Sydney to the cycle way at Naremburn?

Is it to go along Miller St, up the hill, left at Ridge St and then right into West St? That seems to be the most straightforward way. How safe is this during the late afternoon / evening peak?

There's also the Pacific Highway and then right into West St. But not sure how to make that right turn safely.
The official route is actually to go up Miller St, left onto the path at Berry St, then up the path on the highway to West St.
However, most people go straight up Miller St, left into Ridge St and right into West St. It is a clear way along Miller St from 3pm, so just use the left lane as it is mostly buses using it.
I use the Highway and if I want to join the Path at Naremburn I use Willoughby rd, or I join further along off Herbert St, or just keep using the highway all the way to Lane Cove and join the path there. I rarely have issues on the highway as it is T3 lanes for about 90% of the way, with the only tricky bit being the approach to Greenwich Rd and up to the TAFE from there (unless you are lucky enough to have a bus in front of you to draft behind!)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:25 pm

I usually go Miller St left at Carlew & right at West St but no real difference with ridge st.

As safe as any on road cycling in my experience
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:35 pm

Thanks guys.

Is the Ridge St route ok in the mornings?

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:30 pm

I do miller/ridge/west every day - all 100% easy & safe.
Morning its a parking lot from Ridge, West has a car door lane & is slow enough due to cars turning, ped xing & cars parking.
Arvo - there's a lot of bikes & its pretty easy going flows.

I did Pac Highway for a few years to chatty - really safe surprising, its T3/Bus lanes - so empty as.
Can recommend Pac Highway to St Leonards, then reserve road to the bike path.

Pac Hwy to West - I do it both ways depending on the light phasing.
Its a quick sprint & there's always gaps in the traffic if you can put the power down up hill. Otherwise you do a "hook" style turn at the top which is very safe as you're joining the Nth/Sth West st traffic.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:06 pm

Having never ridden from the Epping Rd path to the city, anyone got some beginners instructions. Off road as much as possible. Is it:

Off cyclepath from Ryde onto Amherst st, then West st, Ridge st, Miller st

What comes afterwards to get onto the bridge?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:27 am

tez001 wrote:Having never ridden from the Epping Rd path to the city, anyone got some beginners instructions. Off road as much as possible. Is it:

Continue on miller st, and immediately after blue st is a shared path on your left (look for signs). go down there, follow the signs down to middlemiss st, then along Albert st in milsons Pt to meet up with the SHB steps
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

moya

Postby moya » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:09 pm

tez001 wrote:Having never ridden from the Epping Rd path to the city, anyone got some beginners instructions. Off road as much as possible. Is it:

This is the way I go: http://goo.gl/maps/AnLgJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;