Monash fwy path: 5 Km/h speed limit signs

MickMelb

Monash fwy path: 5 Km/h speed limit signs

Postby MickMelb » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:04 pm

This morning three new 5 kmh speed limit signs had been erected on the suspended path under monash freeway (between Glenferrie Rd & Yarra Blvd Richmond).

This has apparently occurred with no consultation with user groups and would appear to be (to me at least) an excessive speed restriction.

There no signs of enforcement. All riders I saw ignored the new limit - by a factor of X 5+.

Now I acknowledge this is a shared path but 5 km/h? (Oh well it was April 1. Perhaps tonight no signs)

Is it possible to determine the responsible authority and challenge the 5kmh limit?

BTW, wonder if the regular joggers (av. speed 10 - 12 kmh) will be required to walk?

98octane

Re: Monash fwy path: 5 Km/h speed limit signs

Postby 98octane » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:08 pm

Surely an April Fools joke.

As you say, even joggers exceed 5kph.

You can't go that slow on a bike.

Anyway, the signs are irrelevant; it won't be enforced.

skull

Postby skull » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:22 pm

I would walk faster than that.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:46 pm

me too....I'd be busted for speeding at my normal walking pace!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Hopefully a joke. Our local share path has a 10km/h suggestion, even 10km/h is too slow on a bike to ride smoothly and safely. I think that 20km/h is a much more reasonable limit, other than if you consider that a lot of people riding bikes have no idea how fast they are going and would consider that the 20km/h they are doing is probably like 10 anyway.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

98octane

Postby 98octane » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:00 pm

bychosis wrote:Hopefully a joke. Our local share path has a 10km/h suggestion, even 10km/h is too slow on a bike to ride smoothly and safely. I think that 20km/h is a much more reasonable limit, other than if you consider that a lot of people riding bikes have no idea how fast they are going and would consider that the 20km/h they are doing is probably like 10 anyway.
I don't support any limit, but if there is one, it shouldn't be less than 30kph on a commuter trail.

MickMelb

Postby MickMelb » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:11 pm

Attempt at a still from Contour this morning - signs are looking real...

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:52 pm

They are real - saw them yesterday. No de-restriction signs anywhere!!
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:20 pm

just posted over in the good/bad/ugly signs thread - saw these today - some work going on at start of elevated section but was well off to one side and no signs warning of obstructions (around noon)- if construction related then quick maths would say motorised vehicles in a construction zone would have to reduce to 10km/h - 5km/h is actually less than walking speed

antigee

Postby antigee » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:22 pm

"Surely an April Fools joke." ok :)

antigee

Postby antigee » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:03 pm

I see sadly wrong not an April fool - see below from https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/gener ... ooringfine

though I understand the issue it is like asking drivers to reduce to 15km adjacent to construction - also I'm sure if vehicles were around the sign would be covered up when no work is going on - which seems to be a lot of the time (not a criticism council employees - just that workpeople being there seems ad hoc rather than continual) I'll email the council asking for them to consider covering the signs and adding an explanation when in use.

"Wobbling through workplaces
10 April 2014. VicRoads has been forced to place absurdly low speed control signs on the Gardiners Creek trail because thoughtless riders are careering through a worksite putting the safety of workers and other riders at risk.
Workers are replacing wiring and lighting on the section of the trail suspended beneath the M1 motorway. The lights have been failing over time, but wiring needs replacing.
New LED lights will be installed to improve illumination, and extend replacement life.
To warn riders of the risks ahead flashing beacons were installed, but six were stolen. Temporary warning signs have been nicked.
As a last resort the 5 km/h were fitted to the gantry."
The real risk for the riding community is that because galoots on bikes are ignoring the safety of workers and other riders in and near work zones, such routes may in the future be completely closed off while work is going on.
This is the last thing riders want.
Workplace safety is a major issue for VicRoads and its employees and contractors. It has an obligation to provide a safe workplace, but at the same time wants to provide continuing access during works.
For these objectives to be met, riders should recognise that care and attention is required when riding near work sites. If warning signs are in place, there is a good reason, and you need to ride slowly and watchfully."

Edit will email Vicroads