One for the Strava Addicts

MartinT

One for the Strava Addicts

Postby MartinT » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:54 pm

If you are a regular Strava user, I'm sure you have seen segment KOM's taken by riders that obviously have the bike in the car on the way home from a ride.

To fix this, I’ve created an app that monitors the top positions on segment leaderboards.

It finds any that have look like they have been driven in a car by examining the data and looking for tell-tale signs such as ridiculous speeds, zero cadence and low heart rates.

Sign up at http://www.komdefender.com and receive a free weekly email of analysis results for the segments you have ridden.

You can view a sample report with detailed explanations at http://www.komdefender.com/SampleReport.htm

Cheers,

MartinT

brett.hooker

Re: One for the Strava Addicts

Postby brett.hooker » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:49 pm

I have signed up and it works great!!! Found both kom's that I had set accidentally by leaving the phone on strava after I finished the ride AND found others had done the same on my regular segments!!!
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:36 am

I thought Strava already did this? I accidently left my Garmin running after a race and drove home with bike in the car but when I uploaded my ride Strava had flagged it with a message saying something like "it looks like this was done in a vehicle" . I fixed it by deleting the section that I knew was related to the bike being in the car.

MartinT

Postby MartinT » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:38 pm

Ross - I don't think Strava do this automatically, or if they do, only for the most obvious of cases. KOM Defender has found literally hundreds of suspect segments in the 3 weeks it's been running. Hopefully, little by little we can clean things up.

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:44 pm

I know Strava does it sometimes. When my mate had a big stack, he didnt turn off Strava on his iphone. I checked later that day and he had a stack of KOM's achieved while riding in the back of the ambulance heading to Wyong hospital. The ride was flagged as suspect or something similar on Strava (I cant remember the exact wording) .

So doing 80 km up "Wyong Hospital Hill" will certainly get automatically flagged, not sure how it determines what is suspect and what isnt. Bit of a shame really, they were the only KOM's he ever had :-)

MartinT

Postby MartinT » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:04 pm

Dave - Strava may automatically do some, but my experience would tell me that most of these 'automatic' flags are just quick responses to the 'Someone beat your KOM' emails.

takeitasread

Postby takeitasread » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:12 pm

Seriously? Does it really matter???

Jeez.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:32 am

Hi Martin,

I signed up for your App and it seems great. Is there an option to only notify you of segments this occurs on that you are in the top 10? Or some other way to filter out the segments where I don't really care about the result? I got heaps of notified segments, but most of them I could not be bothered to look into, as I just trundle through them slowly and do not have a horse in the race.

Cheers,

Adrian

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:05 am

takeitasread wrote:Seriously? Does it really matter???

Jeez.

+1

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:54 am

Jeez.
On the contrary, what's it matter to you?

Sure it may not appeal to you but no need to rain on anyone else's parade. It's a nifty site that will be pretty useful for a lot of people.

takeitasread

Postby takeitasread » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Ignoto wrote:

Jeez.
On the contrary, what's it matter to you?

Sure it may not appeal to you but no need to rain on anyone else's parade. It's a nifty site that will be pretty useful for a lot of people.
These forums are just made for raining on people's parades :D

I just checked the sample report - :shock: Seriously, people need to get a life if they are worrying about checking on the validity of KOM's.
Last edited by takeitasread on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MartinT

Postby MartinT » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:10 pm

vosadrian wrote: I signed up for your App and it seems great. Is there an option to only notify you of segments this occurs on that you are in the top 10? Or some other way to filter out the segments where I don't really care about the result? I got heaps of notified segments, but most of them I could not be bothered to look into, as I just trundle through them slowly and do not have a horse in the race.
At this stage Adrian, there is no such option. As people clean up the rubbish on Segments, or tell me the effort is OK, then there will be less entries displayed next time you ride those segments.
I do like the suggestion though. I might add it to a list of possible future enhancements.

I'm glad you liked the report. Please spread the word as the more users we have, the better result we will get.

Cheers,

MartinT

MartinT

Postby MartinT » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:59 pm

takeitasread wrote: I just checked the sample report - :shock: Seriously, people need to get a life if they are worrying about checking on the validity of KOM's.
Thanks for at least taking the time to check it out. Strava isn't for everyone and neither is my App.

Live and let live I say.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:02 pm

haha I think perhaps those that use Strava to claim bs speeds/times have the problem. I won't be getting the app as it doesn't interest me, but I did notice that on a segment that I got a PB on the other day (position 2,423 or something), the "claimed" top speed was 97 kmh... lol
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7