The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Tomca74

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Tomca74 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:18 pm

Ross wrote:Pity Tomca didn't get it on video!
I only run the camera on the road. And approaching my group, I wasn't in a rush either, coasted slowly up to the group so old mates attitude was a surprise. I do a lot of km on the bike so I guess odds are in my favor for finding tools.
I am always polite and accommodating but rude fools, spitters and aggressive a $$ holes need to be pulled up on their poor manners. I kayak a lot and boaties are far more respectful and I doubt any would not know paddle and sail has right of way over motor.

nescius

Postby nescius » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:37 pm

Ross wrote:Peak hour traffic in Canberra CBD this morning and it's raining, already been several collisions reported on the roads, when dreadlocked hippy riding a MTB (BSO) no helmet and no hands through a red light as traffic is trying to go through and then continues down the road sans hands and helmet and then decides at the last minute without a headcheck or signal to continue his journey on the footpath. I knew just looking at him that he was going to do something stupid and he didn't surprise me.
That reminds me of one of the local junkies I saw near Dickson a couple of months ago, he was riding diagonally through the intersection of Antill and Cowper street against the lights forcing all traffic to stop. He was also riding no hands because both hands were busy giving the finger to everyone on his way through. His ride was a really sweet looking downhill rig, looked pretty expensive and I'm sure whoever he stole it from was really missing it.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:16 pm

nescius wrote:That reminds me of one of the local junkies I saw near Dickson a couple of months ago, he was riding diagonally through the intersection of Antill and Cowper street against the lights forcing all traffic to stop. He was also riding no hands because both hands were busy giving the finger to everyone on his way through. His ride was a really sweet looking downhill rig, looked pretty expensive and I'm sure whoever he stole it from was really missing it.
No doubt on his way to badger people for $2 outside Dicko Woolies! :lol:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:59 am

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cycli ... 35mfk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess they both qualify.

59 year old male for this: "The man had been at a tram stop in Northcote and was looking at his phone when he stepped on to a bike path"

The cyclist for leaving the scene of the accident. "Police say the cyclist, described as being a middle-aged man in a black top and shorts, didn't stop to help after the 4.30pm crash." At least he subsequently got in contact with police, give him credit for that.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:25 pm

On a lighter note...

On the Main Yarra Trail just north of Dight's Falls this evening at about 18:30. The most awe-inspiring mullet I have ever seen - I'm lost for superlatives to describe it. This comes kind of close
if you piled the hair much higher on top and made it tight ringlets in greying salt-and-pepper. All this glory crowning a snug black singlet and shiny black showbag shorts.

I nearly stacked.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:29 pm

That's not a proper mullet.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:32 pm

duncan16v wrote: piled the hair much higher on top and made it tight ringlets in greying salt-and-pepper.
Sounds like an enduring long-term hair relationship to me. Should be given National Hairitage status :P

Unusual to see mullet upstream of Dights Falls :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:55 pm

This geezer defined a new category of awfulness. Marie Antoinette crossed with New Romantics crossed with Ziggy Stardust crossed with Michael Bolton.

I really wished I had a camera. Then I was glad I didn't.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:59 pm

il padrone wrote:
duncan16v wrote: piled the hair much higher on top and made it tight ringlets in greying salt-and-pepper.
Sounds like an enduring long-term hair relationship to me. Should be given National Hairitage status :P

Unusual to see mullet upstream of Dights Falls :lol:
Boom-tish!

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:37 am

duncan16v wrote:On a lighter note...

On the Main Yarra Trail just north of Dight's Falls this evening at about 18:30. The most awe-inspiring mullet I have ever seen - I'm lost for superlatives to describe it. This comes kind of close
if you piled the hair much higher on top and made it tight ringlets in greying salt-and-pepper. All this glory crowning a snug black singlet and shiny black showbag shorts.

I nearly stacked.
Brisbane has its own "Glorious Ranga Mullet" or at least we did until recently when he had it shaved for charity.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews ... 6858304919" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:03 pm

Dumb cyclist turns left through red light ending up almost side by side with my car (I turned right with green arrow). :shock: Road bike but no lycra so the usual stereotypes don't apply. :lol:

wob

Postby wob » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:25 pm

I got cleaned up by a pedestrian this afternoon on the way home from work.

I was going up a bit of a hill probably doing about 20km, concentrating on the road ahead when I say a brown blur hit my front wheel. Next thing I knew I was flat on my back beside my bike.

Apparently someone had left their gate open while they were going inside to get stuff to put in their car and their 10 month old puppy saw it and rocketed out the front to freedom. The problem was that the puppy was a doberman and weighed around 30kg.

It hit me and didn't even stop. I think he got as much of a shock as I did cause he ran back inside and started barking at me from the verandah. The only damage was that I can see it that it twisted my front wheel so that it was 45 deg off from where the handle bars pointed and the read brake disk is rubbing on the pads. Fortunately I landed on my backpack and helmet so I'm just sore.

Sorry but I didn't take any photo's

Martin

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:35 pm

Spotted this morning, or more like didn't spot, cyclist with NO lights amongst the pre-dawn morning 'rush' on the Fernleigh.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:05 pm

bychosis wrote:Spotted this morning, or more like didn't spot, cyclist with NO lights amongst the pre-dawn morning 'rush' on the Fernleigh.
saw 3 of them in 30 minutes before dawn this morning.

my favourite saying "no lights, no brains"

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:00 pm

I had a helmet-less, light-less POBSO flying along the Beaufort Street path at at least 25km/h when I was about to turn into a driveway. Lucky I saw him mid-turn.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:22 am

Dragster1 wrote:
biker jk wrote:
elantra wrote:Pedestrian thinks it is a good idea to walk across the road with his four-legged friend.
Four-legs gets to the middle of the road and suddenly stops and does a big dump.
Meanwhile 2 cars come around the corner and have to pull up and wait for the job to finish.
Dog completes the road crossing as if nothing had happened.
Was it a shih tzu?
Or maybe a POO dle :lol:
Her name is elantra, not Sue. :roll:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:58 pm

The MTB'r who blew the red light on Duffy Ave Westleigh this morning.

Plenty of traffic queued up (including moi, 3 positions back)... it turned green 20s later and I'd have been on his tail had he gone my way at Pennant Hills Rd.

This is a very busy intersection in the mornings, and the light sequence is non-intuitive. Easy to get bowled over by a car heading in an unexpected direction.

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:35 pm

Driving home late on Sunday and was confused as I thought there was a cyclist riding down the wrong side of the road.

This guy had a red blinking light on his front. No white lighting at all, and another red blinker on the back.

Very confusing.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Yesterday I copped dumb cyclists, pedestrians and motorists at my worst intersection at the corner of Beaufort St and Roe St in Perth.

The timing of the lights has been messed up so peds and cyclists have to wait a really long time to cross this intersection with a shared path on each side. Consequently, both cyclists and peds feel it is ok to cross (at least to the middle) on the red. Problem is that motorists turning right onto Beaufort St heading south from Roe St have a very short green arrow... leading them to run the red arrow... at the same time the cyclist/ped crossing goes green.

Yesterday it went like this: cyclists and peds moved to the middle on the red, right arrow from Row St went red while motorists continued into the intersection, cyclist/ped light went green and cyclists/peds moved into the intersection... traffic conflict! To make matter worse, the motorists in Roe St trying to turn left south into Beaufort St started tooting those in front of them to go, even though the intersection was now blocked, because they couldn't see why those motorists in front were not moving. So now we have cyclists, peds and motorists all caught up in the intersection and other motorists tooting those who didn't want to move into that mess. Mayhem!
<removed by request>

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:11 pm

Outbound Rudd St exit from Ipswich Motorway this afternoon. Dumb motorcyclist, B-doubles frequent this stretch of road.

http://youtu.be/GklVWINyXOY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:04 pm

I was behind a dumb cyclist. There he was grinding away in big/small combo. Got infront of him on a hill and stopped for a stop sign as did the car infront of me. Proceeds to blow straight thru the stop sign. I had my revenge passed him again :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:08 pm

I saw a dumb cylclist at lunch time today... riding without a helmet the wrong way down a one way street. Bike had a seat post but no seat! :shock:
<removed by request>

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:33 pm

Bunch riding down a slight downgrade to a stop sign, with no intention of stopping. Lead rider yells out 'CAR!' as there's a car coming, the rest of the bunch stops but he just pulls right out in front of it :roll:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:16 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I saw a dumb cylclist at lunch time today... riding without a helmet the wrong way down a one way street. Bike had a seat post but no seat! :shock:
Was it an IT prototype?

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:08 am

I don't know if I should be shocked and amazed or shake my head and think what a silly thing to do