First big ride nerves

sstoneride

First big ride nerves

Postby sstoneride » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:32 am

Am hoping for some words of wisdom here ...
Have committed to 900km of riding ... eek
My son and I are riding Melbourne to Sydney for a fundraising ride. (he's off to Africa with World Challenge)
We both have Hybrid Giant bikes - (2012 Cross City4 and 2014 Roam2) and we will have a support car.
Planning on 10 days riding with 2 rest days - after day 3 and after day 6
Our plan is up the Hume ... or possibly around the coast but I think the hills would kill us.
So questions:
1. any ideas for making the ride on a hybrid easier, more enjoyable, faster?
2. dangers riding on Hume?
3. would the coast be better? nicer? safer?
4. training tips?
5. Route advice?

Thank you in advance - I am happy to receive any comments from 'you're mad' to the helpful tips.

kunama

Re: First big ride nerves

Postby kunama » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Reduce rolling resistance !!! Choose your tyres wisely
Comfy saddle
Get your saddle height spot on
Avoid the coast road
Sunscreen & Aerogard
I don't do long rides anymore, my longest have been Sydney > Canberra & Canberra > Snowy Mtns.

oh & "You're Mad !!!!" but if you must do this things I wish you safe travels !!!

robbo

Postby robbo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:43 pm

1. Professional bike fit.
2. Get a training plan.
3. Drop any weight you can.

I rode 450ks in 3 days last year and a bike fit that allowed mento spend 8 hour days in the saddle was critical.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:57 pm

Eat properly and hydrate, or you will suffer big time.:idea:;)

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

RonK

First big ride nerves

Postby RonK » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:18 am

Riding the Hume? I couldn't think of anything worse. If you PM me I'll email you another route. Ah, but yes - there will be hills. You'll just have to HTFU.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:18 am

RonK wrote:Riding the Hume? I couldn't think of anything worse. If you PM me I'll email you another route. Ah, but yes - there will be hills. You'll just have to HTFU.
Indeed. The idea of riding down a freeway in the emergency lane for 800km doesn't sound like much fun to me.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:12 pm

It's not as bad as you will end up thinking having done ~1100 over 8 days. The most important thing is to have the right bike fit. You might have the wrong fit and it might not be as bad or noticeable but after a few rides with some distance that's when you start to notice the problems with your bike fit. As always train harder than the ride. During the ride keep hydrated. If you feel thirsty then its too late. Remember to eat. Even on the 'rest' days get out there for a ride just to keep everything lose - you can enjoy a good sleep in but get out there and do a easy 10-15km ride. Your legs will thank you in the long run.

3DKiwi

Postby 3DKiwi » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:48 pm

Anti chafing creme on your butt and groin area
Flashing red lights on rear of bike

sstoneride

Postby sstoneride » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Thanks everyone.
Kunama - yes I am mad. ; )
Robbo, Lukeyboy - I work right next door to a Giant shop who will fit and perfect the bikes for us.
We also are going the 'road bike' option as have decided the hybrids might be just too hard. Have been very lucky to be sponsored by a bike shop supplying one bike, my son will ride his dad's if the fit is correct.
Bikes will be lit well, we have also been sponsored riding gear - knicks etc.
Butt cream will be purchased.
And as for the Hume … we are still open to changes on our route … but at this stage are comfortable with the Hume, we are following a route risen by a dad and his son for the same fundraising last year.
RonK - pm on the way.
As for hydration etc, am a runner, and usually do a couple of halfs or a full marathon each year so we will have a stock of bars and gels, and hydration systems on board.
Every single piece of advice is fabulous - thank you.
Anyone wanting to 'see us off' from Melbourne … or 'ride us in' to Sydney will be welcome! Hoping to draw some support : )