Colnago Appreciation Society

jaseyjase

Re: Colnago Appreciation Society

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:15 am

my kind of build tom! well done!

id find a retro campy post myself, nice and polished to compliment the stem and forks

but otherwise...hawwwt dang thats nice!

chargin_tom

Postby chargin_tom » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:20 pm

hey munga, nah they didnt leave a name or anything, I'm already riding Saturday morning, doing a Wynnum Loop leaving Gear, West End at 6:30....

also, shall chuck up some more pics when i get a chance..

chargin_tom

Postby chargin_tom » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:23 pm

jaseyjase wrote:my kind of build tom! well done!

id find a retro campy post myself, nice and polished to compliment the stem and forks

im struggling to find a campy post long enough that doesnt cost an arm and a leg... so just gonna try and find something nice at a good price locally....

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:38 pm

chargin_tom wrote:Hi, I am super fresh to this group but someone left me a little note on my bike today at the University of Queensland saying I should check out this page!!
I am the phantom note leaver.
Many thanks chargin_tom for responding. That is quite a bike. What's the story behind it? Is it a recent acquisition? The paint is very impressive.
The first time I saw it locked to the post the front wheel was missing and I thought the worst but then it was complete the next day.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:36 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:
chargin_tom wrote:Hi, I am super fresh to this group but someone left me a little note on my bike today at the University of Queensland saying I should check out this page!!
Many thanks chargin_tom for responding. That is quite a bike. What's the story behind it? Is it a recent acquisition? The paint is very impressive.
The first time I saw it locked to the post the front wheel was missing and I thought the worst but then it was complete the next day.
Nice work Mr S.

chargin_tom

Postby chargin_tom » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:30 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:
Hey Phantom!
Yeah recent acquisition via the bicycle market facebook page.. a present to myself for joining the Navy.. from what the previous owner said he built it up in january to ride in Adelaide for a Tour Down Under classic bike event but then had to sell due to moving or something along those lines.

Yeah, that was me being extra cautious hahaha I am trying to apply for a bike box spot at uni but apparently they are all full..

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:05 pm

chargin_tom wrote: Yeah, that was me being extra cautious hahaha I am trying to apply for a bike box spot at uni but apparently they are all full..
I hope you get a spot in the bike box soon, such a nice bike looks very vunerable out in the open. There is a spot at the back of my building that's out of sight, partially undercover and is watched by CCTV if you want a bit more protection. Steve.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:31 pm

#askalocal

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:17 pm

chargin_tom wrote:
jaseyjase wrote:my kind of build tom! well done!

im struggling to find a campy post long enough that doesnt cost an arm and a leg... so just gonna try and find something nice at a good price locally....
Not Italian but maybe you could find a nice Nitto in that length?

D_skull

Postby D_skull » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone can give me some information on this frame. It's a 56 with internal rear brake cable.
The forks are obviously not the original. Intentions are to give it a good clean/touch up and eventually build it up with period correct groupset (once I figure out what year it is).
Can supply more photos also.
Thanks in advance for any information.
I've just put up some photos ok the link bellow.

http://dskullworld.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:19 am

Just got my hands on a Colnago Nuovo Mexico. It's not in the best condition but for the price it was not a bad pickup. Can any one help with dating it and tell me what the period correct group for it is?ImageImageImageImage

morini

Postby morini » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:21 am

koen wrote:Unappreciation Society...I took a photo with the chooks on it but it was blurry
I will get to riding it again sometime

Been tiding up the workshop again Owen?

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi vaeske,

I'd like to see a couple more photos. Is the main triangle tubing crimped? A view of the seat stay caps would help and a view of the rear brake bridge would be nice as well.

I don't see a tubing decal - Is it a repaint and redecal? I'm guessing a build date of around 1985 at the moment. It's also interesting to see 3 rear brake cable guides - Colnago around this time mainly used 2 guides.

vaeske

Colnago Appreciation Society

Postby vaeske » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:54 pm

ImageImageImage

GaryF to answer your first Q. Yes it's crimped. Seller confirmed it is Columbus SL. 27.2 seat post size. Brake bridge pics below. Also confirmed it has club cutout on BB and ita threaded.

Another interesting point you've made is the fact that most nuovo mexicos do only have two cable guides but this one has 3. Not sure with that one.

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by vaeske on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:42 pm

koen wrote:Unappreciation Society...I took a photo with the chooks on it but it was blurry
I will get to riding it again sometime
if you sincerely have no more appreciation for that old red chook roost, please get in touch. pm sent :)

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi vaeske,

Thanks for the new photos.
Yes I think it's a Nuovo Mexico too.

Aerodynamic fork crown - from 1983.
No chain stay bridge near the bottom bracket - must be post 1883/4.
Rear derailleur cable routing under the bottom bracket - from 1982.
Concave surface on chain stay cap - probably prior to 1985 (my guess).

I would guess that your frame is a 1984 Nuovo Mexico (or maybe 1983) and most probably made from Columbus SL.

It looks like it has a latter example of a Colnago decal set commonly found on a Colnago Conic SLX of approx. 1990 vintage.

It's not too uncommon to see a Colnago from the '70's with 3 rear brake cable guides but it is very uncommon to see an '80's frame with 3 brake cable guides. If the frame was repainted it's a relatively easy task to add a middle guide. It'd be interesting to find out how this came about. It may be factory original. Not all Colnago frames were built in the Colnago factory - work was 'farmed out' to other frame builders. Personally, I don't see it as a problem.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:59 pm

Well I guess we can safely say its a Colnago. Phew. There are scratches and I believe it adds to the history of the bike, so not gonna do any major body work to it.

I suspect cyclomondo will have 83-84 period decals? GaryF can you show me some examples?

From the scratches on the bottom bracket it seems the previous owner didn't use any outer gear cables between the guides so I'll ranex it heavily to prevent any corrosion.

GaryF, what was the period correct group for a nuovo Mexico in 83-84? If it's too much work/trouble to find, I will just use a modern 10 speed fishing line and ride the hell out of it. Unless anyone can point me to a nice 10 speed italian goodness for cheap.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:26 pm

1983 is the 50th anniversary of campagnolo, so best to call it a 1984 frame :D

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:48 pm

munga wrote:1983 is the 50th anniversary of campagnolo, so best to call it a 1984 frame :D
Haha - great point Munga.

An '84 group set that would definitely suit your 'top of the line' racing frame is a Campagnolo Super Record Gruppo. The group set you have on it is very nice too and a generation or two newer that Super Record. I would guess that it's based on Campagnolo C-Record with desirable 8 speed brake/shifters. There's nothing wrong with the components you have on it at the moment though. If it was me, I would want to fit a Super Record group set to be a little more period correct but I do have 'problems'.

I always used to try to find a donor bike to get the components off - much cheaper. But now, It may be dearer. I think good old ebay is as good a place to start a component search - if you know what you're looking for bargains can be had.

I reckon a decal set similar to the one in the image below would be nice and Cyclemondo has one.

chargin_tom

Postby chargin_tom » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:33 pm

So this is my bike:
To my knowledge it is a 1988 era Super frame with:
Campagnolo Record Groupset (11sp)
Reynolds Carbon tubs (rear with white industries hub) not my daily ride, normally chuck on some Campag Khamsin wheels
Look Pedals
Saddle is now Bontrager but replacing with SMP in near future

Also whats the go with these frames not having serial numbers??
Any chance someone could tell me what size seatpost would fit in this bad boy???

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:43 pm

I expect it's a 27.2mm.

However, if you don't have a pair of calipers to measure the seat post width then take a circumference measure 8.54cm around will be a 27.2mm seat post.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

chargin_tom

Postby chargin_tom » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:57 pm

open roader wrote:I expect it's a 27.2mm.

However, if you don't have a pair of calipers to measure the seat post width then take a circumference measure 8.54cm around will be a 27.2mm seat post.
Yeah, toolkit is lacking calipers, I thought it would be that, just wanted to double check before I went and bought something online. Cheers!!!

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:17 pm

chargin_tom wrote:Yeah, toolkit is lacking calipers, I thought it would be that, just wanted to double check before I went and bought something online. Cheers!!!
Yep, that's the way...... meausure twice, buy once.....
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

acb

Postby acb » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Hi there

I recently acquired a quite nice NOS Titanio frame (pic below) and now have the task of building it up. Obviously enough it will have to be Campag however I'm undecided on both wheels (Shamal's?) and whether to go new or old with the gruppo. Am leaning toward 90's Record Ti for the gruppo but would appreciate opinions. Am also unsure about what sort of stem to put on it. Anyway, much gratitude in advance for your learned opinions.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:40 pm

I'm with you acb - 90's Record Ti would look fantastic. I love your frame as it's one Colnago frame that I have dreamt about. To me it's just about the ultimate Colnago frame for every day use.

I think a Cinelli Grammo stem would look great along with a set of silver Ti Shamal's.