Moron Motorists #3

find_bruce

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby find_bruce » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:12 pm

find_bruce wrote:Had a lovely quiet week or so. This afternoon's moron, overtakes across an unbroken line, into the face of oncoming traffic before immediately having to jump on the brakes as the lane he wants to be in is stopped just 50 m later
It appears the driver identified himself to Police & is now being given the option of contributing $300 to consolidated revenue & losing 4 points off his licence or contesting the matter in curt

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:25 pm

!! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! hit the fan. Anyone know the number for a plumber...... :lol: :lol:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:34 pm

@find_bruce: love your work :D

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:31 pm

If only I had my Fly6 already...

A woman today pulled beside me so close I almost scraped her door with my pedal. I gave her the "WHF" hand to which she flipped me the bird. Unlucky for her, the light ahead turned red and I had a chance to ask her exactly how she thought she would explain to my two children that she had killed me if she had actually run me over. Her reply? "Use the footpath!". I kindly reminded her that footpaths are for feet, and that legally, you have to be 12 or under. I also kindly reminded her to leave enough space between herself and a cyclist, legally using the left lane, so no-one gets killed.

Bring on the Fly6. Next time, straight to the police.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:44 pm

RideLikeTheWind wrote:. Her reply? "Use the footpath!"..
My reply would be "Please lady do me a favour GFY and have a nice day" :wink:

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:06 pm

The other day while on foot I saw a cyclist going along in the left lane of a multi-lane one-way road (he wasn't in the centre, but wasn't hugging the gutter either). A small/medium removal truck came up behind him, moved over and passed him (not wholly within the next lane, but from my perspective the truck driver gave decent room).
Then the truck moved into the left lane in front of the cyclist (didn't seem close though), but then proceeded to come to a stop to let the passenger in the cab get out, forcing the cyclist to stop.
Trucker then drives away, moving into the next lane.

So trucker wasn't going to get stuck behind the cyclist as s/he wanted the next-to-left lane, and it would have delayed them coming to a stop (forbidden, btw, due to a Clearway being in effect at the time) by a few seconds. Does the MGIF mentality hamper the ability to plan ahead for the next few seconds, or does the inability to plan ahead for the next few seconds produce the MGIF mentality?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:07 pm

Dragster1 wrote:
Quick - someone sent this to Clive Palmer. It beats all Clive's megabucks pitch to the lowest-denominator voting public.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:16 am

Tomca74 wrote:The last one, love the experts! Look closely, I hit the picks hard as he hooked hard left. This Llane is wide enough for B-doubles to get around there (and some) If I slowed every time a car come up on me I might as well walk. I kept wide enough for an escape, but unfortunately, you can't anticipate how bad someone can drive in every instance. He was about 3 metres wide of me then went full retard. My sppeed went from 15ish to nothing in that instant.
Hey it's your life but seriously, there was no traffic on approach to that round about, you stayed left and the guy came up and cut you off. If you had pulled out into the MIDDLE of the lane 50m short of the round about he would have had to stay behind you into the roundabout and incident wouldn't have happened. There is a CHANCE he may have got on the horn but I have never had that happen and I always take the lane coming into a round about to ensure stuff like that doesn't happen.

Your call but I would say with that approach to roundabouts I would rename them in your vocabulary as "games of Russian roulette" because despite there being room you are still allowing idiots room to cut you off. I prefer to remove that as an option for them.

herzog

Moron Motorists #3

Postby herzog » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:33 am

Well said.

Tomca: none of us is trying to be an armchair expert.

The advice to take the lane approaching a roundabout is potentially life saving.

Ultimately it's your life and your choice. But please at least consider it. It's solid road craft advice.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:43 am

Scarfy96 wrote:
Tomca74 wrote:The last one, love the experts! Look closely, I hit the picks hard as he hooked hard left. This Llane is wide enough for B-doubles to get around there (and some) If I slowed every time a car come up on me I might as well walk. I kept wide enough for an escape, but unfortunately, you can't anticipate how bad someone can drive in every instance. He was about 3 metres wide of me then went full retard. My sppeed went from 15ish to nothing in that instant.
Hey it's your life but seriously, there was no traffic on approach to that round about, you stayed left and the guy came up and cut you off. If you had pulled out into the MIDDLE of the lane 50m short of the round about he would have had to stay behind you into the roundabout and incident wouldn't have happened. There is a CHANCE he may have got on the horn but I have never had that happen and I always take the lane coming into a round about to ensure stuff like that doesn't happen.

Your call but I would say with that approach to roundabouts I would rename them in your vocabulary as "games of Russian roulette" because despite there being room you are still allowing idiots room to cut you off. I prefer to remove that as an option for them.
That would be one of the worst roundabouts in Brisbane during peek hours, Unless you have been through it you will not quite understand what its like, besides being in the centre of bogan central. The cars can be lined up on the entry to the roundabout for 400 meters and more up the road and can be stationary for up to 30mins or at a crawling pace. I occasionally drive through it with an old diesel hilux, because I cant accelerate fast enough to enter it you get morons behind you beeping and sitting an inch on your tailgate and once your on it, you get them flooring it as hard as they can to get around you or doing right turns without indicating from the opposite direction.

There is a bottle neck in the hiway up further and a lot of people come off of it before going through it all fired up and tense or they are just about to enter it. I would personally avoid this area all together on a bike and I do, I feel endangered just going through it in my fourwheel drive with a large solid steel bulbar. This is where you need a front and rear cam if you decide to take the lane and give it to the police daily if you survive that is.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:01 am

The advice to take the lane that Tomca is being given is with regard to the ute incident at the end of his video, not the very busy roundabout at the start of his video (which is what I believe you're referring to Dragster1)

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:53 pm

WarbyD wrote:The advice to take the lane that Tomca is being given is with regard to the ute incident at the end of his video, not the very busy roundabout at the start of his video (which is what I believe you're referring to Dragster1)
This.

There was open road on approach. If at other times there is a 400m queue then it may be different, I am talking about that incident and the lane was there to be taken.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:54 pm

A friend of mine almost got cleaned up by this scooter near the QUT entrance. I thought having Rego stops people from breaking the rules?

BastardSheep

Postby BastardSheep » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:14 pm

I had a SMIDGAF in a roundabout on my way back to work today after lunch.

Turning right through the roundabout, the SMIDGAF tradie was coming from the opposite direction, I was turning right. I turned, he kept going into the intersection. I kept myself going, and so did he which scared me, only coming to a stop when he was half over the line and IN the roundabout himself. I slowed myself down to a crawl in front of him to minimise any damage should he move off too early, giving the "double-ewe tee eff, mate?" look. His response was to lurch his car forward then finally bring it to a complete halt. This scared me into coming to a complete halt too. Looked at him for a while, he was non-plussed. Didn't care at all about his actions and his almost driving in to me.

Oh, and I wasn't on a bike. I was in my car.
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:01 pm

Ignoto wrote:A friend of mine almost got cleaned up by this scooter near the QUT entrance. I thought having Rego stops people from breaking the rules?
Said friend should definitely make a report at the location police station. Rego plate is clear in the full size photo I'm sure and it's an open-shut case of riding on the footpath for MM (Moron Motorcyclist).

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:39 pm

Ignoto wrote:A friend of mine almost got cleaned up by this scooter near the QUT entrance. I thought having Rego stops people from breaking the rules?

Scooter on a footpath. Simply report him to the police as above post mentions as well.
Driving a licensed vehicle on a footpath is a no no
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Women. At least this one has her helmet on the right way.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:31 pm

Dragster1 wrote:
Well played :twisted:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:34 am

find_bruce wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Had a lovely quiet week or so. This afternoon's moron, overtakes across an unbroken line, into the face of oncoming traffic before immediately having to jump on the brakes as the lane he wants to be in is stopped just 50 m later
It appears the driver identified himself to Police & is now being given the option of contributing $300 to consolidated revenue & losing 4 points off his licence or contesting the matter in curt
Love it :)

Andrew

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:02 pm

Woman charged with doing 127km/h with unrestrained baby on mum’s lap in back seat

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 6874630167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

herzog

Postby herzog » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:03 pm

Probably just heading out to get some cigs and a fresh carton of VB

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:47 am

This guy has to win the award for the most bull$hit excuse for DUI

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 365e6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:22 am

Ross wrote:This guy has to win the award for the most bull$hit excuse for DUI

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 365e6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The line that got me was “Yeah I know I’m disqualified, I don’t give a **** – it’s just a piece of plastic and I’ll drive when I want”, perfect example of the culture of entitlement and lack of responsibility.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:58 am

ldrcycles wrote:
Ross wrote:This guy has to win the award for the most bull$hit excuse for DUI

The line that got me was “Yeah I know I’m disqualified, I don’t give a **** – it’s just a piece of plastic and I’ll drive when I want”, perfect example of the culture of entitlement and lack of responsibility.
I thought you must be paraphrasing... but no, that's what he said. He will have a few days or weeks in the clink to reconsider. I remain confident that a short stretch on the real inside of an actual prison might lead to some reformed behaviour... Assuming he's not a regular visitor...

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:23 pm

Had a good one on my ride to work this morning... Going north on Mill Point Rd (Freeway PSP diversion) ... motorist came up behind me, went around on my right, and then started to turn left in front of me - only to change her mind halfway through (after turning across in front of me) and come to a stop.. I got on the anchors as soon as I realised what she was doing so and gave some rather curt words and a strong wave of the arm to finish the stupidity she'd started and get out of the way.

Both driver and passenger appeared confused, like I'd suddenly appeared there.. Yet, you could hardly claim she didn't see me.. I am 6'2 and ~120kg, have a red kathmandu fibre flare knockoff on my helmet (on solid red), a blinking topeak alien red light on the pannier rack, an ortlieb pannier on the drive side with reflective ortlieb logo and was wearing a red shirt.. And she flipping well had to go around me to initiate the left turn!!

No contact so no harm, but damn... some people really shouldn't be driving!