Tour of Flanders: Stannard Out

PomBike

Postby PomBike » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Sky have had a reshuffle;

[REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Admin Says: This is a discussion thread and not a relentless promotional website for external websites.

AndrewCowley

Re: Tour of Flanders: Stannard Out

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:01 am

Fantastic race. First time I've watched it. Are there normally so many crashes? Cancellara had them spooked at the end.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:37 am

Well my TV recorder decided without my permission that I didn't need to watch it! Stupid bloody thing.
Watched the last KM on Youtube this morning. Cancellara's emotion was a wonderful sight. Can he do Roubaix as well!?

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:05 am

Mine too, just got the last 10k on CC.
Cancellara..BANG!!!!! Roubaix next!!!
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:59 pm

Watched the last hour or so... Great race!. Why so many crashes?... When you actually ride those roads you realize how narrow and winding they are. Then imagine trying to put 200 cyclists on them together fighting to be near the front!.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:13 pm

What a great spectacle...!
I was genuinely on edge when they were coming into the last 1000m.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:21 pm

Only just saw that crash with the old lady... Was a bit like a Tsunami video. Apparently the road furniture was part of the cause... Which wouldn't be surprising, the amount of traffic calming devices now on European roads is pretty crazy... The worst are those square chamfered lumps in the middle a lane... They caused chaos in my last race, you don't see them until it's too late.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Yeah, saw that video yesterday myself. Pretty sickening.

There was some speculation on one of the cycling news websites that although there was over 1900 course marshalls & volunteer's around the race, there might not have been one at that particular part of the track (normally placed in front of major islands / kerbs in the road, waving flags so riders are aware of a hazard). Obviously, many riders did see the hazard but as you've mentioned from your experience, someone obviously didnt. The incident is obviously under investigation.

I am not trying to apportion any blame on anyone here, but surely it'd be common sense not to stand in the middle of however many hundred riders in a tightly formed peloton, going at whatever speed they were travelling at (~ 40 - 50 k/ph on the flat?) when there is the possibility that the traffic island you are standing on may not be seen and could be a hazard? Why were the spectators not standing to one side, like everyone else?

Nevertheless, I hope she pulls through ok.