Moron Motorists #3

ldrcycles

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:50 pm

First day of the new passing rules in Qld, so the local rag has been inviting every moron in the world to say whatever the hell they want on their facebook page, the hatred and ignorance really is frightening. Spent the better part of an hour refuting all the nonsense about rego and head on collisions, just maybe one or 2 people will actually see sense. It's at least worth a shot, I can't complain if i'm not willing to try and do something.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:01 pm

Bloody cyclists. Because we never break the law they need to pay rego so we can report them when they run red lights or break any law that we see!!!

Wait a minute.........

Marto

Postby Marto » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:50 pm

ldrcycles wrote:First day of the new passing rules in Qld, so the local rag has been inviting every moron in the world to say whatever the hell they want on their facebook page, the hatred and ignorance really is frightening. Spent the better part of an hour refuting all the nonsense about rego and head on collisions, just maybe one or 2 people will actually see sense. It's at least worth a shot, I can't complain if i'm not willing to try and do something.
For those without time to read recent rag/facetube comments re cycling, here is a video of an MM describing their feelings on the passing rules:

(You may want to turn on the captions)

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:10 pm

Police SMS red light running woman

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... public_rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:58 pm

Man acquitted of culpable driving in crash that killed his friend

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2yGB4kccm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:02 pm

ldrcycles wrote:First day of the new passing rules in Qld, so the local rag has been inviting every moron in the world to say whatever the hell they want on their facebook page, the hatred and ignorance really is frightening. Spent the better part of an hour refuting all the nonsense about rego and head on collisions, just maybe one or 2 people will actually see sense. It's at least worth a shot, I can't complain if i'm not willing to try and do something.
Well it had to happen eventually, some moron with nothing better to do has decided to refute every comment i make with "you arguments are stupid and you look stupid and you risk your life riding on MY road etc". Well i've got a cold and an RDO and i'm not afraid to use it!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Ross wrote:Man acquitted of culpable driving in crash that killed his friend

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2yGB4kccm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robins drove the Mitsubishi Triton utility, with Mr Green in the passenger seat, and two men in the tray.

But defence barrister James Lawton argued Robins' actions did not match the definition for culpable driving, which required jurors to find he, to a gross degree, failed to take the standard of care that a reasonable person would have observed in the same circumstances.
well i guess it's not just cyclists who get shafted by juries. what are these people smoking?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Ross wrote:Police SMS red light running woman

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... public_rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
She probably read the text while driving. :lol:

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:27 pm

55 seatbelt offenders caught in March

http://www.police.act.gov.au/media-cent ... March.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:50 pm

Ross wrote:55 seatbelt offenders caught in March

http://www.police.act.gov.au/media-cent ... March.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Probably at least a few people who failed to wipe adequately too.

.... My point being, so what? What relevance does this have, to anything?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:03 pm

This is seriously hard to believe ... had to check the date ...
Yesterday, just before lunch time a cyclist was riding along Ipswich Road inbound outside the PA Hospital. As he neared the car park entrance he was overtaken by a utility and before he could react, the utility turned across his path into the hospital.

The 26-year-old rider hit the side of the tray, flew over the handlebars and landed in the tray of the still moving vehicle. This all happened without causing injury. In attempt to get the driver to stop, he began banging on the roof of the vehicle. Apparently this stunned the 61-year-old driver because he continued driving with the cyclist standing in the tray.

The cyclist managed to phone the police in attempt to get the driver to stop. By this time the utility had made it out of the hospital grounds, down O’Keefe Street and onto Old Cleveland Road. This is where officers finally found them.

The cyclist was reunited with his pushbike and the driver will receive an offence notice for failing to give way.
Source:myPolice South Brisbane

Andrew

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:11 pm

Blue AU Falcon who blasted on the horn on Sunday as he passed me going on the M7 motorway (I was on the shoulder).

I was in the middle of the breakdown shoulder, no need for this dill to do that. I never flinch in those occasions anyhow. Annoying. :roll:

The cool motorist was the C-Class driver who could see I had to swerve around a huge field of glass and gave me the room to take the motorway left lane.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Aushiker wrote:This is seriously hard to believe ... had to check the date ...
Yesterday, just before lunch time a cyclist was riding along Ipswich Road inbound outside the PA Hospital. As he neared the car park entrance he was overtaken by a utility and before he could react, the utility turned across his path into the hospital.

The 26-year-old rider hit the side of the tray, flew over the handlebars and landed in the tray of the still moving vehicle. This all happened without causing injury. In attempt to get the driver to stop, he began banging on the roof of the vehicle. Apparently this stunned the 61-year-old driver because he continued driving with the cyclist standing in the tray.

The cyclist managed to phone the police in attempt to get the driver to stop. By this time the utility had made it out of the hospital grounds, down O’Keefe Street and onto Old Cleveland Road. This is where officers finally found them.

The cyclist was reunited with his pushbike and the driver will receive an offence notice for failing to give way.

Andrew
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:43 pm

Andrew
Unbelievable. Definitely a candidate for licence retesting this guy. Glad the rider was ok.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:52 pm

::atomic facepalm::
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

alexander

Postby alexander » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:16 pm

Ross wrote:

Andrew
Unbelievable. Definitely a candidate for licence retesting this guy. Glad the rider was ok.

sounds like he wanted to do a hit and run, only problem being, that the person was in the offenders vehicle.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:14 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-or ... 6878692855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Truckie Drives on wrong side of Hume Freeway for 16km' :shock:

2ndeffort

Postby 2ndeffort » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:12 pm

wellington_street wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-or ... 6878692855

'Truckie Drives on wrong side of Hume Freeway for 16km' :shock:
That's madness, truckies should have to pay rego.......oh, hang on a minute!

chriscole

Postby chriscole » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:36 pm

Riding home from work this afternoon, heading south along Ainsworth St approaching the intersection with Hindmarsh Dr (3 lanes each way), intending to continue straight across the intersection and then wait to make a hook turn; you can see the purpose-specific bicycle hook turn markings in the intersection. (This is generally the Approach-Of-Least-Badness for turning right at this intersection). Approaching the intersection (from the top of the photo), riding close to the curb in the left lane, with a red light, and 2 or 3 cars queued at it already (much like the photo below). Depending on circumstance I'm generally happy to either filter up the left side to these lights (there is enough room beside a queue of cars, if there is one) or wait behind the cars if someone is a little far over to the left.

Approaching the small queue of cars I hear a probably-a-big-vehicle noise somewhere behind me and do a head check to see if there's a truck or a bus coming. Sure enough, there's a bus, braking to come to a stop at the lights. Groovy. The bus moves past me as it slows down... and veers distinctly to the left... and keeps doing it... it seems Mr Bus Driver is going to turn right at the lights, and wants to take it nice and wide to the left in order to do so. Which is great... except for the fact that he has now pinched me firmly into a good old-fashioned tall 90 degree gutter. I contemplated trying to nip through the tiny gap that was left, but the light had just turned green, and the bus was just starting off again.... which was clearly going to take it even further to the left, and then if he hadn't directly driven into me at that point, probably would have cleaned me up with the arse end of the bus as he turned right.

I decided the more life-prolonging option was to hop up the gutter (first day I'd ridden my new mtb to work rather than a road bike... all hail squishy tyres!) onto the grass. The traffic was still pulling away slowly by this point, so I was able to ride up level with the bus doors and attract Mr Bus Driver's attention. I rather politely utilised some fairly universal sign language to indicate that I was not at all enthused about his interesting driving choices. Sadly, it was painfully evident from his expression and response that he was blissfully clueless that he may have done anything at all that might be construed as not-quite-right. :-/

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:47 pm

So your clueless bus-driver found it necessary to pull right over into the left lane, cramming you into the kerb, in order to make a right-turn at this very obtuse-angled intersection ???

The police station is right over here, to hand back your licence Mr Clueless Bus Wrangler :roll:

BTW, interesting road markings they have on the road there to indicate where cyclists doing a hook-turn should wait. I have not seen any of these in Melbourne or anywhere else.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:43 pm

Nice wet day in Melbourne today and, true to form, the drivers were in fine form.

Riding along StKilda Rd a car stops in the bike lane to let out a passenger. Really, when are these deads***s going to understand the bike lane is a traffic lane. Anyway, the spot where they stopped had those orange plastic poles preventing cars from parking there, so I swing left to get around the idiot. Passenger promptly opens door without looking. A few hundred metres later the cyclist in front of me has to swerve to avoid a door opening in front of him. All this on very wet roads.

These people are clueless, they should have to pass some sort of test to be allowed to drive, oh wait a minute, they do don't they. For all the difference it makes. They're even worse at aiming their cars in the wet too, and they're not real flash at the best of times. Why can't drivers work out where the left side of their vehicle is, I can when I drive.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:49 am

DavidS wrote:Nice wet day in Melbourne today and, true to form, the drivers were in fine form.
W... They're even worse at aiming their cars in the wet too, and they're not real flash at the best of times. Why can't drivers work out where the left side of their vehicle is, I can when I drive.

DS
Good work making it through alive!! On the ride home on Tuesday night I saw 3 different drivers approach intersections too fast, slam on the brakes, lock em all up and slide into the intersection... Different intersection each time.... and my commute is only 10km long!! It's damn important to pay attention to every driver in the rain, especially in Ballarat....... :roll: Luckily none resulted in collisions with other drivers. If it had've, I would've gladly stopped and offered video evidence to the innocent party.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:01 am

DavidS wrote:Riding along StKilda Rd a car stops in the bike lane to let out a passenger. Really, when are these deads***s going to understand the bike lane is a traffic lane. Anyway, the spot where they stopped had those orange plastic poles preventing cars from parking there, so I swing left to get around the idiot. Passenger promptly opens door without looking. A few hundred metres later the cyclist in front of me has to swerve to avoid a door opening in front of him. All this on very wet roads.
Well, according to the news a couple of weeks ago - those bike lanes might not actually be bike lanes (even with the pretty green colour and the white line and the bike symbol). No 'sign on a pole' = not a bike lane... :roll:

I think St Kilda Rd was mentioned as a 'bike lane that is not a bike lane' or was that just around the St Kilda Rd Police Station?

Not that that detracts from the MMs opening doors without looking and opening them into another line of traffic (ie. you) to boot.

CalvinAndHobbes

Postby CalvinAndHobbes » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:12 am

I had 2 extremely close passes today in Canberra on Yambra Drive, as it approaches Hindmarsh Drive. I have it on video, but before I post it, I was wondering if is it worth reporting it to police here. I don't normally ride in Canberra, being Sydney based, but will be working here for a while, so brought my bike.

Yambra is a 2 lane in each direction road. I was riding at about 7am, not a lot of traffic, and I was in the left lane, where a vehicle generally has their left hand side tires. Most cars passed me with plenty of space, but 2 Utes decided they had a point to prove - or so it seemed. One passed me with about 50 cm and hooted as he went passed. About 20 seconds later another ute, pulling a trailer left about 10 - 15cm - really scared me. However, neither of them actually hit me, so I am not sure if any offence was committed. Both vehicles got caught at the lights as I pulled up, but I didn't engage with them at all.

I have since seen that there is a parallel path that I could have used, but it does not appear to a mandatory Cycle Lane, so I think I was fully entitled to be using that road - that said, I don't think I will use it again.

cowled

Postby cowled » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:35 am

CalvinAndHobbes wrote:I had 2 extremely close passes today in Canberra on Yambra Drive, as it approaches Hindmarsh Drive. I have it on video, but before I post it, I was wondering if is it worth reporting it to police here. I don't normally ride in Canberra, being Sydney based, but will be working here for a while, so brought my bike.

Yambra is a 2 lane in each direction road. I was riding at about 7am, not a lot of traffic, and I was in the left lane, where a vehicle generally has their left hand side tires. Most cars passed me with plenty of space, but 2 Utes decided they had a point to prove - or so it seemed. One passed me with about 50 cm and hooted as he went passed. About 20 seconds later another ute, pulling a trailer left about 10 - 15cm - really scared me. However, neither of them actually hit me, so I am not sure if any offence was committed. Both vehicles got caught at the lights as I pulled up, but I didn't engage with them at all.

I have since seen that there is a parallel path that I could have used, but it does not appear to a mandatory Cycle Lane, so I think I was fully entitled to be using that road - that said, I don't think I will use it again.
I'm glad to hear you're okay. Unfortunately, I don't think the police will be of any help. They will probably see the incident as a case of your word against theirs. Also, the fact that you were not hit would make it difficult to prove that the driver's contravened the requirement to leave sufficient room to avoid causing a collision.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km