Light 'em up boys (and girls)

Uba Tracker

Re: Light 'em up boys (and girls)

Postby Uba Tracker » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:55 pm

Crankitup wrote: I was tempted by the MiNewt X2 for $174 US at Amazon a few days ago, but thought I'd a wait a little longer for them to come down even more. Checked back yesterday and they'd gone down to $49 US!!!! Needless to say I have ordered one and it's on it's way.
WHAT!!!! 49 bucks......man I got royally ripped off. Congrats on getting a great deal though and even more thanks for letting me know, at that price I'll just order m'self another set and have heaps of light.

cheers

Harry
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:26 pm

Uba Tracker wrote:
Crankitup wrote: I was tempted by the MiNewt X2 for $174 US at Amazon a few days ago, but thought I'd a wait a little longer for them to come down even more. Checked back yesterday and they'd gone down to $49 US!!!! Needless to say I have ordered one and it's on it's way.
WHAT!!!! 49 bucks......man I got royally ripped off. Congrats on getting a great deal though and even more thanks for letting me know, at that price I'll just order m'self another set and have heaps of light.

cheers

Harry
No, I should thank you for letting me know how good they are. I also saw them reviewed in a head to head with 6 other lighting systems (I'd post the link but this forum won't let me post links yet).
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:48 pm

Crankitup wrote:
No, I should thank you for letting me know how good they are. I also saw them reviewed in a head to head with 6 other lighting systems (I'd post the link but this forum won't let me post links yet).
No worries at all, just PM the link to me and I'll post it up, no doubt there'd be plenty of us who'd like to know how that little shoot out finished up. :wink:

cheers

H

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:20 pm

Uba Tracker wrote: No worries at all, just PM the link to me and I'll post it up, no doubt there'd be plenty of us who'd like to know how that little shoot out finished up. :wink:

cheers

H
PM sent.

Cheers,

Neil C.
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:06 pm

Crankitup wrote:
Here's the link compliments of Neil http://www.bikemag.com/gear/accessories ... index.html

cheers

Harry

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:05 pm

Uba Tracker wrote:
Crankitup wrote:
Here's the link compliments of Neil

cheers

Harry
Thanks Harry.

Just to add - if you wait for the site to fully load, when you run the cursor over the different model names, the picture changes to show how well each model lit up the trail.
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:48 am

Crankitup wrote: Thanks Harry.

Just to add - if you wait for the site to fully load, when you run the cursor over the different model names, the picture changes to show how well each model lit up the trail.
Now THAT is a comparison, there has been a lot discussion about lights in other areas of the forum, I'll post the link in there as well. How bright is the TriNewt though, wish I'd saved my pennies a bit longer and bought one of those. I wonder if the TriNewt can be powered of the MiNewt Li-Ion batt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,anyone?

Cheers

Harry

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:49 am

Uba Tracker wrote: How bright is the TriNewt though, wish I'd saved my pennies a bit longer and bought one of those.
Yeah, it's almost too bright. Also a LOT more expensive. I thought the MiNewt X2 was far and away the best bang for buck light in that group (even before tracking down that great deal on Amazon).
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:02 pm

Well my light turned up today, only problem was there was no battery or handlebar mount included with it.

I've sent an e-mail to Amazon customer service. Grrrr!
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:22 pm

Crankitup wrote:Well my light turned up today, only problem was there was no battery or handlebar mount included with it.

Oh. Well that's frustrating :( , I had a look myself the other day and saw the light only for the price you mentioned and figured that the great deal you scored had run it's course and I had missed out. Anyway lets see if there isn't some silver lining to be extracted from the dark cloud, what if you were to purchase a batt and mount from Amazon as well, would that represent be a saving by comparison the Oz RRP?

cheers

Harry

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:20 pm

Uba Tracker wrote:
Crankitup wrote:Well my light turned up today, only problem was there was no battery or handlebar mount included with it.

Oh. Well that's frustrating :( , I had a look myself the other day and saw the light only for the price you mentioned and figured that the great deal you scored had run it's course and I had missed out. Anyway lets see if there isn't some silver lining to be extracted from the dark cloud, what if you were to purchase a batt and mount from Amazon as well, would that represent be a saving by comparison the Oz RRP?

cheers

Harry
Yeah it shows that way now, but not when I ordered it. You might recall that when I first saw them at Amazon they were $174 US (including the battery etc). When they were reduced to $49 US they still had written in the product description "SYSTEM INCLUDES: LED Headlamp. Li-Ion Battery. Handlebar Mount ..." Further to that the crossed out price next to the $49 US was $174 US. I notice that today the item number I purchased has gone back up to $174 US and there is a new one (from a different 3rd party supplier) which is $49 just for the light.

When I log in to my Amazon acct and click on my order number it takes me to the item that is currently $174 US and includes the battery & mount in the product description.
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:02 am

If you get no joy, let me know. For about $25 we'll knock a battery pack up for you with a suitable charger (through DealExtreme).

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:35 am

Thanks Graeme.

There is a sticker on the pack that says;

"DO NOT use MiNewt X2 headlamp with other NiteRider batteries or damage to LED WILL occur."

So I guess I'd have to be careful.
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:47 am

I reckon their LED is made for a 3.7v Li-ion battery. If you hook up anything over 5v, it may blow the circuits which control the LED. It shouldn't be too hard to find out the specs of the light.

To make you feel better, a mate and I dropped into a bike shop up in the hills today, where they had a MiNewt on the counter. Selling price: $400. :shock:

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:25 am

Thanks Graeme. Amazon responded to my e-mail and they said I should contact the 3rd party supplier, which I've done.

I think it's more likely Amazon's cataloguing at the time that's at fault rather than the supplier, but I'll wait & see.
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:45 pm

The response;
Neil,

We have reported this issue to Amazon. Apparently, due to the fact that many different retailers may carry the same product but name the product a little differently, this has been causing issues with Amazon.

Despite the fact that MyCyclingGear provided an image and a product description that showed that only the light with the wire would sell for $49.95, Amazon crossed our information with other retailers information which has resulted in inaccurate information showing depending on what path you took to get to this item.

We have since corrected this issue with Amazon. If you would like to return the light, we can accept the return and process a refund. The light along with the battery, handlebar mount, and battery charger retails for $189.95 for the single light and $229.95 for the dual light.

If you decide to return this, you can return it to:

Trivillage.com / MyCyclingGear.com
Attn: Customer Care
12013 SW 129th Court - Unit #3
Miami, FL 33186

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Roy Lazarus
MyCyclingGear.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in two minds as to whether to return it & get the refund or not.

For now I've sent them this;
Thanks for your prompt reply Roy.

I'm in two minds as what to do here.

It seems to be Amazon's fault and they should rectify the situation. I only bought it because it seemed such a good deal i.e. when confronted with "Was $174 now $49 " and "You save 71%." as well as knowing this is a really good light, I had to order it. The worst thing is that because I'm in Australia, the shipping was $39 US which is almost as much as the product. The shipping price was calculated on the whole shebang i.e. with the battery included. Had it been based just on the light itself (which is amazingly lightweight), it would've been a lot less.

Is there any way of getting the mount & battery sent to me with no new postage charges, or Amazon footing that side of it?

Cheers,

Neil C.
Last edited by Crankitup on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:50 pm

Neil,

I'd definitely keep it if I were you. It's a great light and the stuff you need to make it work will cost peanuts in comparison to any other light you might choose to replace this unit with.

If you really get pissed off with it, I'll buy the head off you for the price you paid. Not that I need one, but I can use it and I'll donate my torches to a mate who looks like he's keen on night MTB riding.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:01 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Neil,

I'd definitely keep it if I were you. It's a great light and the stuff you need to make it work will cost peanuts in comparison to any other light you might choose to replace this unit with.

If you really get pissed off with it, I'll buy the head off you for the price you paid. Not that I need one, but I can use it and I'll donate my torches to a mate who looks like he's keen on night MTB riding.

Cheers,
Graeme
Thanks for the offer Graeme. I don't know what I'll be doing yet. I've edited my previous post and if you see what I've added, you'll notice the thing I'm concentrating on sorting out with Amazon & MyCycling Gear.com ATM is the postage. Grrrr!
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:05 pm

Hmmm. US$90 is pretty bloody steep. We'll talk more if they don't come to the party.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:42 pm

Well, I've had my AyUps for a week now, and I can say they are the duck's nuts on my Trice QNT. I have only used 2 Planet Bike 1/2 watt leds prior, and the difference is like sunlight to moonlight! I bought the medium beam for the deraileur tube and intermediate beam for helmet mounting. Weight is negligible, and the velcro strap mount sysem works fine... quick and easy to mount/unmount when you are leaving 'Precious' in a public space. I have suggested to Andrew at AyUp that they consider a tailight version a la DiNotte with a red filter, wouldn't be hard to do and would make an awesome tail for the trike. My biggest fear is being rear-ended (on the trike!!!).
Cheers
Jonathan

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:53 am

Well the 3rd party supplier have offered to ship the battery, the mount & the charger at a cheap price & with no shipping charges, so I've gone with that option rather than sending the unit back for a refund.

Sent the guy I dealt with a scan jpg of my mastercard to pay. Hope that's safe.
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:00 am

Sounds like it's all going to work out okay then Neil.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:38 am

Kalgrm wrote:Sounds like it's all going to work out okay then Neil.

Cheers,
Graeme
Yep. Thanks again for the offer of taking it off my hands Graeme.

BTW, I've been looking at that website you mentioned for some new chain (chainreaction) and now I'm looking at one of the MTB groupsets; http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=30135

as well as some nice 65OC wheels; http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=15774

All to get me into the free shipping zone of course!
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:29 pm

You realise the MTB crank set won't let you run a large chainring? You'll run out of gears pretty quickly.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:34 pm

Kalgrm wrote:You realise the MTB crank set won't let you run a large chainring? You'll run out of gears pretty quickly.

Cheers,
Graeme
Yeah I know it's 44-32-22T. It's touch & go. Might force me to up my cadence. :D

I spend most of my time in the 39 ATM. When I rode to Mundaring a while ago with my brainbox fully loaded with gear, a 22 would have been handy for the steepest part although a 26 would probably have done the job.

My medium Corsa also came with 172.5 mm cranks rather than the 170 mm that a medium frame should come with. I think it's because Ian (FF) got a large and a medium frame Corsa in at the same time and got mixed up during assembly.
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.