1 Meter Rule

Mustang

1 Meter Rule

Postby Mustang » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:16 am

From today the 1 meter rule applies in Qld (other states?) talk back radio is 99% lopsided, despite the announcers efforts to keep it on track.
Its sad motorists & truckies only see us doing the wrong thing, while they do their makeup, phonecalls, smoke, eat takeaway, congest the roads, etc!!!!
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Scarfy96

Re: 1 Meter Rule

Postby Scarfy96 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:10 am

Dan it seems doesn't understand the road rules, nor have any sense of humanity.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:09 pm

Old mate Dan better hope from here on in that he is NEVER iinvolved in an incident with a bicycle because that will come back to haunt him. It's called evidence, Dan and a half-decent prosecutor would rip you a fresh one in about three seconds flat.

I do have to wonder how people with Dan deal with the likes of farm machinery and slow trucks. I bet he doesn't give them one with his bullbar.

Brave lad, is our Dan.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:11 pm

He needs a report or two to Facebook about incitement to violence and dangerous road behaviour.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:58 pm

Perhaps the driver's licence test should also include a requirement to walk and chew gum at the same time? That would be enough to keep morons like Dan off the road.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:07 pm

Interestingly, Dan wears his sunglasses across his eyes and not on top of his head like every other bogan in the country. He is indeed a rare one.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:13 pm

You just know that Dan drives a big hard 4x4 to compensate for his small soft 1x1...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:17 pm

Mulger bill wrote:You just know that Dan drives a big hard 4x4 to compensate for his small soft 1x1...
Don't forget the bullbar extension to make it look longer. :lol:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:24 pm

And, to avoid posting a questionable image...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

nescius

Postby nescius » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:42 pm

It's like their brains aren't capable of solving the "problem" of a cyclist in front of them, for them there are only two options:
1. Swerve right and kill themselves and their family
2. Continue straight and mow down the cyclist

They don't seem to grasp that there is a third option:
3. Slow down and wait for a safe opportunity to pass, nobody gets killed and everyone lives happily ever after.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:24 pm

Maybe whoever has access to that FB page should share it with Queensland Police Service. Get it on his record (yes, they do keep records) in case it is needed as evidence some time in future.

skull

Postby skull » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:36 pm

well I researched the registration for mobility scooters that these people love bringing up.

1. it is only in QLD
2. yes they are required to be registered
3. It is free
4. It also includes free third party insurance.

So by all means keep bringing it up and look like a fool when they don't even realise it is free.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:38 pm

Well its early days yet but on 3 occasions tonight, where I would normally half expect a close-ish but not too-close-ish pass, the car in each case held back and overtook when it was clear or I found space with no parked cars to move over into the BAZ. All cars this morning on my short bit of 2 lane road changed lanes entirely.

The good bit is that 2 of them didn't even got held up due to other traffic, and the other lost 3 seconds of their life.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:49 pm

biker jk wrote:Perhaps the driver's licence test should also include a requirement to walk and chew gum at the same time? That would be enough to keep morons like Dan off the road.
And understand the correct use of Their and There.

Farside

Postby Farside » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:57 am

Well from my ride home tonight I don't think many people are aware of the 1.0m rule here on the Sunshine Coast, especially not Sunbus and especially not the P-plated heros who find it amusing to swerve towards you or throw stuff out the window at you.
The David Low Way has a nice shoulder most of the way from the Maroochy River to Noosa but even when you couldn't get further left with a left hand getting machine these half wits still play funny buggers, I think the lack of traffic lights plays a major part around here as they know they have a clean get away every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:27 am

dmwill wrote:
biker jk wrote:Perhaps the driver's licence test should also include a requirement to walk and chew gum at the same time? That would be enough to keep morons like Dan off the road.
And understand the correct use of Their and There.
And bought and brought.
Dan might have a problem if he runs up the back of a slow truck.
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:45 am

Farside wrote:Well from my ride home tonight I don't think many people are aware of the 1.0m rule here on the Sunshine Coast, especially not Sunbus and especially not the P-plated heros who find it amusing to swerve towards you or throw stuff out the window at you.
The David Low Way has a nice shoulder most of the way from the Maroochy River to Noosa but even when you couldn't get further left with a left hand getting machine these half wits still play funny buggers, I think the lack of traffic lights plays a major part around here as they know they have a clean get away every time.
You have a road in Qld called the David Low Way :twisted: :twisted:

Maybe you'll get a better class of drivers by riding the David High Way :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:30 pm

Farside wrote:Well from my ride home tonight I don't think many people are aware of the 1.0m rule here on the Sunshine Coast, especially not Sunbus and especially not the P-plated wonderful people who find it amusing to swerve towards you or throw stuff out the window at you.

If you are having frequent trouble there and feel it is getting out of hand or dangerous, get a camera, and report them. The police are not going to automagically enforce this rule, you have to play your part. Hopefully nobody will mess the police around with "this car passed me with 90cm clearance" type stuff, and I doubt that will happen. The rule will allow clearly bad and very close passes (<50cm) to be punished.

I've had nothing but great driving down here but its too short a sample period, and its school holidays. But have had a few times where I would have expected a close-ish pass where the driver held off for 5 seconds and went past at a wider point. Which was great.

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:33 pm

One of Noosa's stealth buses actually crossed the white line to give me 3 metres of space this morning in Noosaville. That's big difference from the stealth near brushes I have experienced.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Honestly i'm surprised whenever i hear people complaining about David Low Way, i could probably still count on both hands the number of incidents i've had there in 3 or 4 years.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:56 pm

Farside wrote:Well from my ride home tonight I don't think many people are aware of the 1.0m rule here on the Sunshine Coast, especially not Sunbus and especially not the P-plated heros who find it amusing to swerve towards you or throw stuff out the window at you.

I was riding on the Sunny Coast not that long ago and I couldn't believe the amount of numpties driving around up there. Almost got cleaned up by a car on a bridge and then into the roundabout after it near Pelican Waters, a couple cars driving along the empty parking bays on a straight bit of road, a car stopped at a roundabout with no cars in sight approaching, cars doing 10-15kph with the brake lights constantly being applied on that bit of road around kings beach and to top it off a car that started to slow down and indicating she wanted to turn across my path into a side street before accelerating quickly and then slamming on the brakes to come to a complete stop facing me in the middle of the lane. She was an 'older' driver and I don't think she was able to determine just how fast I was traveling. I thought Brisbane drivers were pretty bad but jesus christ. You now top the cake Sunny Coast.

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:27 pm

Well everyone was civil on the roads today, hopefully this is the start of a two way thing, we may not need to ride as wide and they may not need to pass as close. I imagine the bogans will still be bogans though. Happy days.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:13 pm

I just had to laugh today. I passed some cops that had pulled a car over on the side of the road while going around them I noticed that cars were giving me a wide birth of roughly 3 metres as soon as I get out of sight back to getting an arms length of me.

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:34 pm

Well that didn't last long, almost brushed by a bus heading up Camp Hill this evening. I think there was almost 300mm between us as he whizzed past.