Superior bike brands???

rjk

Re: Superior bike brands???

Postby rjk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:43 pm

2ndeffort wrote:I recently went through the same thing. Spend some time test riding a few. Don't be tempted by the 'this offer is only good for the next 30 mins' etc. I rode maybe 8 bikes and in the end bought the 1st one I tested. As HappyHunter mentioned above, fit is the most important thing. I bought a Trek Domane, partly because I thought the whole iso speed decoupler in the frame sounded like a clever idea but mostly because it felt the most comfortable (but still light and fast) of all the bikes I tested. I'd like to think the comfort was partially due to the iso speed, but at the end it was the feel/fit.

I got a trek domane project 1 with dura-ace di2, i put hed ardennes plus 25mm wide rims on it, the thing is a rocket, stiffer in the bottom end than a madone but way more comfortable to ride.

I was coming down lake mountain and it 70kph, i could have gone faster but the organic component failed (me).

It is light fast and comfortable, i couldnt wish for anything more ( dont ask how much it cost)
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:55 am

Actually there is one part on more bikes now that requires you to go to the manufacturer/distributor an aero seatpost.

I know, I cracked the seatpost in my Kuota Kalibur

Guess what no distributor in Australia currently so you can not get it locally. (Same in US and Canada). Kouta in Italy did not answer my emails, the mail order shops in Switzerland and Germany could not get their hands on seatposts (they were selling them as quickly as the could to AU, NZ, US, CA. End up having to get it repaired locally at twice the price of a new post and bike was off the road for months.

Replacing the derailleur hanger for a Canyon (a brand not sold in Australia) http://www.derailleurhanger.com and here in less than two weeks

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:13 pm

also make sure you get the right saddle for your bum, you dont want to be hating on a bike because your bum wasnt comfortable!

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:28 pm

rjk wrote: I got a trek domane project 1 with dura-ace di2, i put hed ardennes plus 25mm wide rims on it, the thing is a rocket, stiffer in the bottom end than a madone but way more comfortable to ride.

I was coming down lake mountain and it 70kph, i could have gone faster but the organic component failed (me).

It is light fast and comfortable, i couldnt wish for anything more ( dont ask how much it cost)
Hi mate, I stumbled across your bike again the other day. I didn't know it was a project one (a little more special than the stock 5.2!).
Anyway Check this out..
http://classiccycleus.com/home/new-bike ... trek/road/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C'mon give us a hint on how much $$$ :-) Above or below $5k.
Nice bike and love the colour.
cheers!

Edit: quick calcs: 3k groupset, 1k wheels, 2-3k frameset, yup over $5k worth... think I've answered that one myself.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Corms

Postby Corms » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:19 pm

nickobec wrote:Actually there is one part on more bikes now that requires you to go to the manufacturer/distributor an aero seatpost.

I know, I cracked the seatpost in my Kuota Kalibur

Guess what no distributor in Australia currently so you can not get it locally. (Same in US and Canada). Kouta in Italy did not answer my emails, the mail order shops in Switzerland and Germany could not get their hands on seatposts (they were selling them as quickly as the could to AU, NZ, US, CA. End up having to get it repaired locally at twice the price of a new post and bike was off the road for months.

Replacing the derailleur hanger for a Canyon (a brand not sold in Australia) http://www.derailleurhanger.com and here in less than two weeks
Solid point! I knew there was going to be something! I will have to look into the p&a of lapierre posts if I go down that route!

I've been researching a lot about the wheels and tyres this week, I've come to the decision that I will go with a clincher over a tubular. Both have solid pros and cons but I think as a commuter the clincher gets over the line for me..