Touring wheel build qandry

bagelonabike

Touring wheel build qandry

Postby bagelonabike » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:22 pm

Hiya,

I've purchased a hub dynamo (The hub dynamo is Son 28 Disc) recently and in doing so its a good time to look at whether my front wheel will stand up to another tour...or whether to upgrade?

On the front at the moment I have an Alex S480, 32h. The rear had the same, but on my last tour the rim came apart with a big crack in it, and a broken spoke - thankfully at the end. Now, the rear wheel has an Alex Rims Ace 19 36h not that much better...but slightly...and at least tuned.

I use this bike only for touring and and it will have a moderately heavy load on the front.

Shopping around, I'm really struggling to find anything slightly better than the ace19s without spending up big time....and I guess there is not much logic in the front wheel being stronger than the back anyway! I might even get away with leaving the S480 on there but seem too chancy to go to the trouble of fixing a dynamo onto a wheel that may not last much longer. That front wheel has done many thousands of kms too.

Any suggestions? It seems another Ace19 is the easiest option...

Much appreciating the good advice :D

RonK

Re: Touring wheel build qandry

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:31 pm

Velocity Dyad perhaps?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mjg9001

Postby mjg9001 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:04 am

Alex Adventurer, ideally 36h

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:33 pm

bagelonabike wrote:Shopping around, I'm really struggling to find anything slightly better than the ace19s without spending up big time....
What is spending up big time? Have you looked at buying from one of the German retailers for example? Hard to help without having an idea of exactly how much you consider is your spending limit and whether you will only shop locally.

Andrew

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:13 pm

Aushiker wrote:
bagelonabike wrote:Shopping around, I'm really struggling to find anything slightly better than the ace19s without spending up big time....
What is spending up big time? Have you looked at buying from one of the German retailers for example? Hard to help without having an idea of exactly how much you consider is your spending limit and whether you will only shop locally.

Andrew
2 Ambrosio Keba rims with stainless ( they call it inox) eyelets, 72 DT Swiss Comp spokes and 2 Schwalbe rim strips are about $120 delivered to Aus from Bike24. I got a pair of those rims in 650b for a different project I'm just about to build up, and they are pretty solid touring rims. A bit heavy for my planned usage but just right for your requirements above.
Last edited by wqlava1 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Rigida Grizzly from Spa Cycles - bloody good price, don't know about their shipping.

If you want an even tougher rim get them in the CSS version (more $$$), but will need to get carbide brake pads (Swisstop Blue or Koolstop carbide pads).

Or the bombproof Rigida Andra CSS - if they're available in 700C (?). Mine after ~20,000kms

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:51 pm

il padrone wrote:Rigida Grizzly from Spa Cycles - bloody good price, don't know about their shipping.

If you want an even tougher rim get them in the CSS version (more $$$), but will need to get carbide brake pads (Swisstop Blue or Koolstop carbide pads).

Or the bombproof Rigida Andra CSS - if they're available in 700C (?). Mine after ~20,000kms

IP, the coating on that rim sure looks like its lasting well. Is it just a trick of the light, or the placement of the brake pad in a bit from the outer edge that makes the outer third of the brake track look like it's bending outwards, as far more well-worn rims are prone to do?

Spa Cycles have a good price on those rims, but DT Swiss Comp spokes are a GBP each there! I tend to look at packages of parts from a lesser number of sources to minimise postage expenses.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:07 pm

The rim sidewall is flat. Look at the brakepad shadow. There is a slight discolouration on the brake track, probably the beginnings of the carbide wearing off. Not bad after 20,000kms.

I'd buy the rims, get them shipped then get my LBS to build the wheels. I've done this with at least three sets of wheels. Only had one wheel built overseas - that was from xxcycles for an Alfine dynohub.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."