Rides in Inner West

Aramis7

Rides in Inner West

Postby Aramis7 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:45 pm

Hi all, I recently moved from WA to NSW / Sydney and I'm looking for a new cycling club with friendly organized Sat / Sun rides.

I'm in the Inner West, around the Concord area. I've got some acquaintances around the Hornsby area and they ride with the NSCC but its kinda too far away from where I am to ride from home.

Any info will be appreciated

thanks

Cheers

blokeinamoke

Re: Rides in Inner West

Postby blokeinamoke » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:11 am

Hey mate, i live in concord as well, its bloody conveniently placed in the centre of everything! olympic park is a stones throw away, a ride into the CBD will take 40mins or less, Mac uni is not that far either, i dont do huge rides, rather short fast ones, i made a nice 40km loop that goes from concord to ryde, silverwater, homebush bay, strathfield and back home... Just get pedaling, it dont matter where to, all roads will lead eventually back to Concord ;)

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:44 am

Don't forget the Cooks river cyclepath which is quite a relaxing ride.

I think there is Bike North which mostly has rides that start around the Meadowbank /Homebush area.

TTar

Postby TTar » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:31 am

blokeinamoke wrote:Hey mate, i live in concord as well, its bloody conveniently placed in the centre of everything! ... all roads will lead eventually back to Concord ;)

Pfft!

Guildford; that's this city's cycling central hub. 8)

You've got the rail trail leading to the nicer-than-Sydney's, Parramatta CBD in one direction and in the other direction Liverpool going through Fairfield and Cabramatta where you can dine on the entire world's menu for a pittance.

You can continue on for a couple of k's at Liverpool to Prestons and pick up on the southern end of the fabled M7 bike path, ride north on that splendid facility to Prospect where you might turn onto the delightful canal path which will, naturally, return you to Guildford, cycling's heartland.

The M4 path will take you to SOP and the Parra river north side path is also easily accessible from Guildford as is the Cooks River path.

All in all, Guildford is about a thousand times better than Concord for cycling

Also, Concord is notable for nothing other than an underused rugby field. Guildford on the other hand is renowned for its vibrant nightlife with regular shootings livening up the evenings.

But welcome to Sydney anyway, Aramis.
Sent from my fortified compound

blokeinamoke

Postby blokeinamoke » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:13 pm

TTar wrote:
Also, Concord is notable for nothing other than an underused rugby field. Guildford on the other hand is renowned for its vibrant nightlife with regular shootings livening up the evenings.
:lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:38 pm

What sort of cycling club are you looking for ? Plenty of clubs do regular rides out of Sydney Olympic Park. Off the top of my head, two are

Lidcombe Auburn Cycling Club - LACC. Quite a few members on here, including bigfriendlyvegan

Canada Bay BUG

What will work best for you will depend on what you are looking for

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:35 pm

TTar wrote:
blokeinamoke wrote:Hey mate, i live in concord as well, its bloody conveniently placed in the centre of everything! ... all roads will lead eventually back to Concord ;)

Pfft!

Guildford; that's this city's cycling central hub. 8)

You've got the rail trail leading to the nicer-than-Sydney's, Parramatta CBD in one direction and in the other direction Liverpool going through Fairfield and Cabramatta where you can dine on the entire world's menu for a pittance.

You can continue on for a couple of k's at Liverpool to Prestons and pick up on the southern end of the fabled M7 bike path, ride north on that splendid facility to Prospect where you might turn onto the delightful canal path which will, naturally, return you to Guildford, cycling's heartland.

The M4 path will take you to SOP and the Parra river north side path is also easily accessible from Guildford as is the Cooks River path.

All in all, Guildford is about a thousand times better than Concord for cycling

But welcome to Sydney anyway, Aramis.
Post of the year i have to say.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:49 pm

tez001 wrote:Don't forget the Cooks river cyclepath which is quite a relaxing ride.

I think there is Bike North which mostly has rides that start around the Meadowbank /Homebush area.
Yes Bike North has a regular ride from Meadowbank to Bobbin Head, among others.

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Bike Leichhardt has rides most weekends. Just got back from one down to Oatley via the M5 and back via Ramsgate, about 60 km. Different routes, mainly slow to moderate pace, some harder ones, wait up for stragglers, have a coffee, everyone welcome. Also multi day tours in the country. Calendar is on bikeleichhardt.org.

Aramis7

Postby Aramis7 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Hey, thanks for the replies. What I'm looking for:

- friendly environment catering to most levels (eg not ego-fuelled rides)
- rides on weekends with bunches between 10-40 riders , anything between 40-60 ks distance
- guess pace varies but my average speed for that kind of rides was around 32 kph
- 10k radius from Concord
- "formal" club if possible (eg club structure, registered with Cycling Australia, etc)
- COFFEE !

Ill check out the clubs you guys mentioned but if you know anything that looks like what i just described, id be keen to hear about it

Thanks

zebee

Postby zebee » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:50 am

Have you checked Dulwich Hill? http://www.dhbc.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

probably only worthwhile if you get up early....

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:34 pm

Aramis7 wrote:Hey, thanks for the replies. What I'm looking for:

- friendly environment catering to most levels (eg not ego-fuelled rides)
- rides on weekends with bunches between 10-40 riders , anything between 40-60 ks distance
- guess pace varies but my average speed for that kind of rides was around 32 kph
- 10k radius from Concord
- "formal" club if possible (eg club structure, registered with Cycling Australia, etc)
- COFFEE !

Ill check out the clubs you guys mentioned but if you know anything that looks like what i just described, id be keen to hear about it

Thanks
I have ridden with DHBC, they have a whole range of levels, from cruisy 'saturday slowies' up to the 'fasties'. It is a great, friendly club. Very social. They ride from marrackville. The middies group averages around 30-32kmh.

LACC rides start from Ashfield on the weekend and olympic park during the week. They will have a bunch going around your pace.

Balance and UTS (tri club) ride from concorde station during the week, once again, good bunch, very friendly, caters to all abilities.