2014 Paris Roubaix

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

2014 Paris Roubaix

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:45 pm

Suprised a thread didn't exist - here is the live stream of the Paris Roubaix
Here is a live stream from SBS: http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/vi ... ive-stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First question, no I am not "The" Chris Jones of United Health Care, call me Christopher, it makes it easier.

And I was amused to hear Mr Phil Liggett saying that most riders finish with bloodied hands. Really? If they fall perhaps, sore and bruised, sure... but bloodied... most of them?
Cycling is in my BNA

toolonglegs

Re: 2014 Paris Roubaix

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:53 pm

Watching it now on télé but have to leave before the end :cry: .

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Oh the Dilemma....the live streaming for the Red Bull Air Race starts at midnight!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

cp123

Postby cp123 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:39 pm

cobblestone carnage! bring it on :lol:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:08 am

Plenty of carnage but glad to see everyone getting up again. Did you see Sagan roll ontop the side and jump back on the cobbles out of the way of a spectator. A Kiwi early jumped off a curb and crashed.

Boonen is spending more time complaining than riding... riding hard but has to stop thinking of the help he wont get.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:49 am

Good result - well done to Nikki Terpstra and shaking it up. I was surprised that the lead group didn't counter. It was a risky breakaway and the group could have moved or he could have blown up, but it worked.
Cycling is in my BNA

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:55 am

Just back from watching the Paris Roubaix. Rode the 170k sportive yesterday and then followed the race today. Saw the teams line up in Compiegne, the first cobbles at Inchey, ducked over to Arenberg and then onto the Velodrome for the finish. New appreciation for anyone riding Roubaix cobbles hard!

We did Flanders last week and I thought that brutal but Roubaix is another league! Had one pinch flat over the two sportives and that was with 30k to go on Roubaix looking to get off the cobble onto the edge. Riding around the velodrome and having a shower in the famous Roubaix showers is surreal to say the least.

Goes without saying but if you get the chance, look at doing these couple of weeks as they are simply cycling heaven...

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:53 am

AUbicycles wrote:Good result - well done to Nikki Terpstra and shaking it up. I was surprised that the lead group didn't counter. It was a risky breakaway and the group could have moved or he could have blown up, but it worked.
very impressive breakaway. Agree, was half expecting him to blow up, but all credit he powered away. Thought Cancellara response was timid, but after 250 odd km and those cobbles...

Change of Topic: EuroSport coverage was average at best :(
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:44 am

Showing once again the advantage of teammates at the end - quickstep had 3, giant shimano had 2, Cancellara was on his own. No doubt trying to decide if Terpestra was a feint to suck more energy from him or a genuine attack. Of course Sky showed having the numbers doesn't help if you don't have the legs to attack

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:24 pm

I didn't trust my TV recorder after it failing last week for Flanders so got up to watch the last hour or so. Good race. Full points to Terpstra, he put the hammer down and no one had to power to chase (or the team mates to help). It's unfortunate for Cancellara to not have more team mates up to the job. Belkin, OPQS, Sky, Giant Shimano all had numbers. Cancellara had one left that dropped off at about the 25km to go mark. To win against strong teams like that when you're alone is always going to be hard. Sagan also didn't really have anyone, and I thought He spent too much time in no mans land trying to catch the Boonen group, pretty much solo (Belkin rider wasn't helping at all) when they only had 25 sec lead. That must have taken a lot out of him.

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:08 pm

leighthebee wrote:Just back from watching the Paris Roubaix. Rode the 170k sportive yesterday and then followed the race today. Saw the teams line up in Compiegne, the first cobbles at Inchey, ducked over to Arenberg and then onto the Velodrome for the finish. New appreciation for anyone riding Roubaix cobbles hard!

We did Flanders last week and I thought that brutal but Roubaix is another league! Had one pinch flat over the two sportives and that was with 30k to go on Roubaix looking to get off the cobble onto the edge. Riding around the velodrome and having a shower in the famous Roubaix showers is surreal to say the least.

Goes without saying but if you get the chance, look at doing these couple of weeks as they are simply cycling heaven...
How great that would be !!!

With about 9km to go was the most formidable lineup of Euro cycling big guns you could imagine in one dozen riders.
S'pose it makes sense they were all so tired and so focused on watching each other that Terpstra got out in front and rode away with it. :shock:

Mr Squiggle

Postby Mr Squiggle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:26 pm

Really enjoyed the race this year up until when Terpstra took off. Deserving winner for sure but just felt a little anti-climactic in that you knew the race was over only 30sec after he went.

Did anyone else hear Boonen say after the race, "I'm obviously delighted for Niki but when you put in all that effort, it's to win for yourself." So if he were riding for someone else to win he wouldn't put in the same effort?? Does he expect teammates riding for him to put in all that effort, or since they are not trying to win for themselves is it OK to hold back and not give everything?? I'm a fan of his, but these comments kind of put me off a bit - and if I were a teammate of his who has given absolutely everything for him to win races in the past, I think I'd be a little ticked off too. I'd have thought he would be absolutely over the moon that his team had just won the race...

On another note, how many times did Paul S refer to the cobbled sectors as 'Napoleonic'?? I counted 6 and only watched from Arenberg onwards!!

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:02 pm

When a bunch that big (including the sprinter Degenkolb) makes to the final, you begin to wonder if the race is becoming too easy on a dry course...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:39 pm

Cancellara would have had more team mates if one didn't try to bunny hop off a gutter and take himself and one other Trek teammate down. That was nasty. Cancellara was very lucky/skilled not to go down.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 (Ultegra Di2)

Focus Mares AX 2.0

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:43 pm

RonK wrote:When a bunch that big (including the sprinter Degenkolb) makes to the final, you begin to wonder if the race is becoming too easy on a dry course...
Really? Look at the names in that group!

Focus Mares AX 2.0

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:45 pm

Mr Squiggle wrote: On another note, how many times did Paul S refer to the cobbled sectors as 'Napoleonic'?? I counted 6 and only watched from Arenberg onwards!!
I don't think the cobbles are actually Napoleonic, they just think they are Napoleon...

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:00 pm

joshnh wrote:
RonK wrote:When a bunch that big (including the sprinter Degenkolb) makes to the final, you begin to wonder if the race is becoming too easy on a dry course...
It's one of the monuments - perhaps the monument. It always attracts riders of that calibre. But it is a long time since a group of 11 contested the final. Or do you think that Boonen, Cancellara et al - the recent winners had it easy, no competition? :lol:

Personally I would prefer this plan to ensure that a hard, wet, muddy Paris-Roubaix is a certainty. :wink:

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:07 pm

RonK wrote:
joshnh wrote:
It's one of the monuments - perhaps the monument. It always attracts riders of that calibre. But it is a long time since a group of 11 contested the final. Or do you think that Boonen, Cancellara et al - the recent winners had it easy, no competition? :lol:

Personally I would prefer this plan to ensure that a hard, wet, muddy Paris-Roubaix is a certainty. :wink:
In my humble opinion, a professional bike race that has a group of only 11 contesting the final is incredibly hard.

Focus Mares AX 2.0

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:53 pm

RonK wrote:
joshnh wrote:

I doubt very much any bike race at that level is easy. Certainly, racing on the cobbles is extremely hard regardless of the level. I would imagine racing Roubaix is the definition of all balls out racing regardless of the weather. Rain and mud add its own problems but to suggest a cobbled bike race is easy is ludicrous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RonK

2014 Paris Roubaix

Postby RonK » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:46 am

Nikolai wrote:
RonK wrote:
joshnh wrote: Really? Look at the names in that group!

I doubt very much any bike race at that level is easy. Certainly, racing on the cobbles is extremely hard regardless of the level. I would imagine racing Roubaix is the definition of all balls out racing regardless of the weather. Rain and mud add its own problems but to suggest a cobbled bike race is easy is ludicrous.

I guess some people just don't have a humour meter sensitive enough to detect a tongue in cheek comment. Did you make the effort to read the linked article - or did perhaps that go over your head too? :roll:
Hint: it was published on April 1.
Last edited by RonK on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:48 am

It's pretty much impossible to detect that with this medium. My apologies.