fixed-gear bike?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:17 am

Not all fixies are suitable for the track. As track bikes have higher bottom brackets due to the banking.

Why don't you visit your local trackie club and go down on a training night and chat to the guys/gals.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

fred

Postby fred » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:05 pm

hi all !!!

new here, first post and dont mean to hijack the thread.

stop biking a loooong time ago and wishing to get back at it ( weekend ride and i can surely need the exercise) . at first, the thought of getting a hybrid excites me. but suddenly, had a glimpse of this bike in the city. fix gear, no brakes, and such a simple bike just strollin along with his girl and having fun on a sunday morning. and i was like wowww, thats nice and simple. one thing i hate about bikes is maintenance, never been good at it, especaiily the gears. saw this place where they sell fixeis at 65O bare, and would install raod gear and a brake all for an additional 15O.. . i thouhgt all along the a fixie would be selling cheap bec of no brakes and no gears ??? but at 65O?? if i can only build them fromm ground up. grrrrrrr

like the poster, i would definitley go for a fixxie, but would be installing a front brake... am not that advaced biker yet... like you guys.

see you guys on the road..

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:36 pm

Hi Fred, welcome to the forum,

Fixies have a different width for the rear wheel to geared bikes. If you want a geared bike, then you are better off to get one already set up for gears.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:54 pm

The new Mongoose Sabrosa(sp?) range is pretty neat if you want simple.

Single speed or Nexus hub 8 speed.
Disc brakes (less maintenance than rim brakes)
Includes mounted thermos instead of water bottle!

IMO Fixed gear isn't really simpler than single speed/coaster, since the technical skill to ride it is more complex.

tinstaafl

Postby tinstaafl » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:19 pm

Except for track racing (and even that has boring scenery) I just can't see the point of a brakeless gearless bike.

What is the advantage?

Robert

531db

Postby 531db » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:03 am

Whoa - people talking and asking questions about fixies - my cue!

Well I have 3 fixies (2 track and 1 road) built up at the moment, plus a couple of extra classic track frames, amongst my collection of bikes. Oh - I'm picking up another track frame tomorrow that I bought off Ebay :D

Most of my training is done on fixed gear, sometimes I ride only fixed for weeks except for road races where I use a geared bike.

Why fixies - well it's the simplicity of a bike that has no gears, you get on and pedal (and don't stop pedalling). If you get to a hill you push harder, if going downhill or with a tailwind you spin like crazy. From a training and fitness point of view - more for less.

Fixies are fun too, nothing better than blasting past those out there on their 20/30 spd plastic and beercan framed throwaways. Real fixies are steel framed of course.

On the topic of brakes I have a front and rear brake on my road fixie, and one of the track bikes has a drilled fork for a front brake as I occasionally ride it on the road for time trial racing or track training as unfortunately I have no reasonable access to a Velodrome for track training. I don't believe in 'no brakes' for fixies used on the road, having said that I know of a few guys who ride 'no brakes' on road and who manage to keep the rubber side down.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:31 am

Just noticed Surly are offering the Steamroller as a complete bike in a fixed gear flip-flop hub configuration, sub $1,000 on the Phantom Cycles site.

cludence

Postby cludence » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:33 am

Peter,

Where are the pics for these bikes?

Karen.

531db

Postby 531db » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:52 am

cludence asked:

"Where are the pics for these bikes?"

I don't have a digital camera or camera phone so no piccies. :oops:

When I get together a bit of discretionary moolah I tend to spend it on bikes instead................... :D

cludence

Postby cludence » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:59 am

I have a basic digital camera here that has sat unused for ages that was given to me and I have no need for. When I find the 120mm retro stem you are after I will give it to you then.

Karen.