Russell Mockridge book out soon

timbo

Russell Mockridge book out soon

Postby timbo » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:40 am

I was just looking at the Bicycle Victoria website and saw an article about a book on Russell Mockridge coming out soon. It will be a must read.

www.bv.com.au/join-in/41812/

rob e

Postby rob e » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:26 am

interesting, i am halfway through "my world on wheels" which is my Dad's copy from the 1960's. Mockridge is my Dad's all time hero, having once carried his wheels for him as a kid in the 50's when Russell was racing at one of the Sydney velodromes (i cant remember which one).

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:44 am

If you want to make a quick dash down the Hume today, you could join in with some of us on this ride tomorrow morning

scratchman

Re: Russell Mockridge book out soon

Postby scratchman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:51 am

timbo wrote:I was just looking at the Bicycle Victoria website and saw an article about a book on Russell Mockridge coming out soon. It will be a must read.

www.bv.com.au/join-in/41812/
it's already out and I've read mine, lots of new pix, and some gory details of the accident, but interesting to get an insite into Irene, who has since passed on.
Cheers, Phil

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:49 am

The Guardian has story out this week, "The Forgotten Story of Russel Mockridge"

With his glasses taped to his head and a heavy, bone-shaking push bike for a ride, the lanky 18-year-old seemed an unlikely prospect when he turned up for his first club cycling race. Yet, when he died 12 years later – after two Olympic and two Empire gold medals and countless world records – there was a feeling that Russell Mockridge had not yet reached his full potential.

‘Mocka’ was a freakish and courageous talent whose feats in his day were as acclaimed as other Australian sporting icons, such as Phar Lap or Don Bradman. He was also one of those rare athletes whose talents are so prodigious as to force the rules of their sport to change.

Andrew

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:55 am

Heard the name before, but never knew the back story. Thanks for the Guardian link, Andrew.

[edit : realized this was a bit of a thread revival... but thanks anyway, Andrew. Reckon I'll track a copy of this book down.]
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:02 pm

Aushiker wrote:Image

The Guardian has story out this week, "The Forgotten Story of Russel Mockridge"

With his glasses taped to his head and a heavy, bone-shaking push bike for a ride, the lanky 18-year-old seemed an unlikely prospect when he turned up for his first club cycling race. Yet, when he died 12 years later – after two Olympic and two Empire gold medals and countless world records – there was a feeling that Russell Mockridge had not yet reached his full potential.

‘Mocka’ was a freakish and courageous talent whose feats in his day were as acclaimed as other Australian sporting icons, such as Phar Lap or Don Bradman. He was also one of those rare athletes whose talents are so prodigious as to force the rules of their sport to change.

Andrew
Thanks for the link, I only just saw this thread. My uncle Roger Arnold (mentioned in the article) rode lots of madisons and omniums in Europe with Mocka. My uncle told me lots of stories about Russ in addition to the commonly told ones on here and in in his autobiography. The 1957 Sun Tour victory was just an amazing feat, as was his fastest time in the Warrnambool which stood for something like 14 years, when he was still asleep in bed when the limit riders set off.
Yes a freak of a cyclist but also a man of uncommon honesty and ethics, who never won the Austral because he refused to team with Patto or the other scratch men.
Thanks again

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:33 pm

Just to clarify, what is the name of the more recent book? Is it a revised, expanded edition of the original posthumous biography? A quick Google refers a lot to the original 1960s edition. "My world on wheels"... and the BV link above announcing the new book is long dead itself.
--

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:39 pm

"The Man in Front" by Martin Curtis
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:31 pm

cheers Pete.
--

malnar

Postby malnar » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:04 am

My father in law gave us some photos yesterday & among them were these of Russell Mockridge at a social club sports night (I think at an Altona oil refinery) on 21 June 1957. Russell lived in a bungalow at my father in law's house in Ascot Vale for a year or two. He admired him greatly & says he was like a brother.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:43 am

That's a 8) photo. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km