Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

PatrickB

Re: Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby PatrickB » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:07 pm

The Fixer wrote:Picture, if you will, a recent very wet weekend. Riding was out of the question, and it was one of those all-too-common
weekends when TV may as well never have been invented. So, I was looking for something to do to pass the time.

Enter a very tired and hard-ridden 1996 Apollo 'Aspen' MTB. It was complete, and (just) rideable, but just about worn-out
and worth maybe $10 for parts. If that.

Refurbishment was the object, not restoration or modification (the bike was not mine, it belonged to my local Men's Shed).

It was stripped to the last nut and bolt, everything was cleaned, inspected, then either re-used or replaced (bearings, cables
brake pads etc). As far as possible, the original Apollo parts were used. Work commenced around 10am on the Saturday, and
was completed by the Sunday evening.

Here are some 'before-and-after' pics. On completion, it looked and rode like a completely different bike, in fact a couple of
my neighbours thought it WAS a different bike, as did the fellas at the Men's Shed. Total monetary cost - $0.00. Total time -
around 10 hours, including cleaning, polishing, and ratting through my shed for spares/parts.

I was quite pleased with the end result, as were the guys at the Men's Shed. What do others think???

BEFORE: This pic doesn't do justice to just how dirty, worn and rusty it was.

AFTER: The Shed priced it at $60.00, and it was snapped-up almost immediately. New owner is very happy with it.

Nice one man.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:08 pm

morini wrote:Who jagged the Apollo 6 with an almost complete Superbe gruppo and a spare set of Mavic/Superbe Pro wheels for $265. No money, damn.
Not me...I was tempted upto 180-200, but that crack , early series superbe, and mismatched shimano 600 derailleur put me off a little..+ the wife gave me the evil eye :shock:
When in doubt......mumble.

morini

Postby morini » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:37 am

Kermit TF wrote:
morini wrote:Who jagged the Apollo 6 with an almost complete Superbe gruppo and a spare set of Mavic/Superbe Pro wheels for $265. No money, damn.
Not me...I was tempted upto 180-200, but that crack , early series superbe, and mismatched shimano 600 derailleur put me off a little..+ the wife gave me the evil eye :shock:
I've been getting that evil eye a bit lately myself. I bid up to $200 and thought I'd won it but it ran away in the last few seconds. My finger was hovering but I could feel two burn marks in my back.

A real bargain even with a rooted frame and a Shimano 600 rear mech. Apart from the two pairs of Superbe hubs it had heaps of desirable gruppo. Suntour headset are almost unobtainium and they can pull up near $100 for a good one. So it was a good buy for someone.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:10 pm

Well, I missed out on riding in the Ballarat Cycle Classic a few weeks ago as a result of being sent away for work, so I did the next best thing and followed a similar route when I had some rest days (felt I needed to complete the ride in some fashion for those who sponsored me for the cancer institute). Thought I'd upload an update on the old Apollo since I got a nice photo out of it.

From picking up the old girl looking like this:

She now looks like;

Now has new bartape
SPD pedals - old set stolen from my commuter when it got new ones.
New R500 Shimano 700c wheel conversion - up from the old 27" steel rims - so much easier to ride 8)
New Tektro brake levers
New San Marco saddle
Shimano 600 downtube shifters

Cheers guys,

Rob

PatrickB

Postby PatrickB » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:46 am

Love it.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:22 pm

PatrickB wrote:Love it.
Seconded. Very nice!
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:18 pm

How about a pic of the bike next to the zed :lol:

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Pilot's-eye view of the Delta... yes, it does sleep in the lounge-room (shed is full, and hard to secure).

I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Forty dollars , oh yeah, forty dollars oh yeah, its too small for me...oh yeah :mrgreen:
Picked this up last week at the local Jamison trash and treasure markets, during the rain. The condition of this thing is top notch, paint , decals are perfect, 5 times nicer than the lilac IV I scored last month, even came with the shimano 600 pedal cleats with christophe straps, but I temporarily put some basic pedals on while I polish them up. I swear, these things have a way Ive finding their owners.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:00 pm

Very nice in deed.

PatrickB

Postby PatrickB » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Awesome find. 40 bucks...lol

ammie7

Postby ammie7 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:53 pm

93 'team' with bundy forks, 600 tri colour.
Parts bin bike.
Orange is 'Bunnings Bright'Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:41 pm

Good score, Kermit.

Ammie, that orange looks pretty good with the black rims & bar-tape.

Nice.

ammie7

Postby ammie7 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:16 pm

I can't take credit. Sky Blue, Satin Black, Pearl White and any Orange with dark anodized rims and black seat n tape, Equals,, a neat bike.

ammie7

Postby ammie7 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:34 pm

Case in point. My Ricardo Duracell.Image

PatrickB

Postby PatrickB » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:03 pm

Any other nice old apollo bikes out there? Keep the pics coming! :)

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:24 pm

Not one of mine, but while visiting the National Art Gallery in Canberra recently, I spotted this clean
and quite original '82 Apollo II chained outside. Like my '81 Apollo II, it's a Lavington Cycles bike. They
must have sold a few, they seem to turn up fairly regularly.

Obviously still doing the job well after 32 years, and did look clean and well-cared-for.

Last edited by The Fixer on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PatrickB

Postby PatrickB » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:54 am

Nice. Looks to be in good nick.

eraser215

Postby eraser215 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:08 am

Hi all,

I own a '92-ish Apollo Kosciusko MTB which I have had since about 96, and I use as my daily ride to work (13km each way). For some reason this has caused me to be fascinated by the other Apollo models of the same era. Does anybody have an idea of what the order of models (from most basic to expensive) was from this era?

MTB low to high:
Summit???
Kosciusko
Something else?

Road bike low to high:
Vitesse?
Eclipse?
Jaguar?
Concorde?
Other?

Any information anybody could give me would be much appreciated! I'm hoping to eventually get my hands on one of the higher end road bikes from the same era, but would like to better inform myself while I keep an eye out online and in real life.

Thanks for your help!

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:51 pm

The Fixer wrote:Not one of mine, but while visiting the National Art Gallery in Canberra recently, I spotted this clean
and quite original '82 Apollo II chained outside. Like my '81 Apollo II, it's a Lavington Cycles bike. They
must have sold a few, they seem to turn up fairly regularly.

Obviously still doing the job well after 32 years, and did look clean and well-cared-for.

Next time your in my neck of the woods, let me know, I have some Apollo frames I was keen to give you.

ApolloCT

Postby ApolloCT » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:46 am

Classiciron wrote:I was riding leasurely the other week and I noticed the other fellow was riding very nice original condition "champagne pink metallic" Apollo IV with the full Shimano 600EX Arabesque group set. If I see it again I might see if he want to sell it as it was about my size and I could do with it for use on the rollers for my early morning sweat sessions. If I see it again I will get a couple of photos for you guys - even if he doesn't want to sell it.
That may have been me maybe. Been riding her since 2012 after buying her in perfect condition in 2012, even had the original Apollo seat! Found out last month how rare she is with the aberesque so have picked up a cheap and heavy Apollo cross trainer as the daily. I'll post pictures when I get a better camera.
The lbs in hawthorn told me to stop ring at as a university daily so I did, put the original pedals back on and will give her a detail when I get the chance

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:24 am

Kermit TF wrote:
Next time your in my neck of the woods, let me know, I have some Apollo frames I was keen to give you.
Would have been great, not sure when I'll be there again. Was hoping this w/end, but it didn't happen. :(

morini

Postby morini » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:40 pm

eraser215 wrote:
MTB low to high:
Summit???
Kosciusko
Something else?

Road bike low to high:
Vitesse?
Eclipse?
Jaguar?
Concorde?
Other?

Any information anybody could give me would be much appreciated! I'm hoping to eventually get my hands on one of the higher end road bikes from the same era, but would like to better inform myself while I keep an eye out online and in real life.

Thanks for your help!
Having recently bought a VI I'd guess there's the 6 and a 1,2,3,4,5 as well.

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:36 pm

eraser215 wrote:

MTB low to high:
Summit???
Kosciusko
Something else?

Road bike low to high:
Vitesse?
Eclipse?
Jaguar?
Concorde?
Other?

Number series predated the name series from about the time the bike source shifted from Japan to Taiwan in the early 80s.

From 93 mag
MTB low to high

Cheetah
Crystal
Montega
Summit
Alpine
Corniche
Aspen
Kosciusko
Himalaya
Matterhorn