Potential for injury?

zill

Potential for injury?

Postby zill » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:47 pm

I've just done two rides (over 100km each) on consecutive days. Everything feels fine except at times, my knee feels a little pain when pedaling although the pain is not persistent but occurs when I'm feeling a little tired.

I've heard pro cyclists needing surgery on their knees (Dennis Menchov and Jan Urillich). Is this a common injury for pro cyclists? What other parts of the leg might injury occur (excluding injury from crashes)?

foo on patrol

Re: Potential for injury?

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:38 pm

If you are getting pain in the knees and especially stabbing pain while riding, you need to back off some. Look at you setup and go from there with the bike but if it persists then you need to see a Dr. :wink:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Porridgewog

Postby Porridgewog » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:12 pm

It can also be fatigue related,as certain muscles get tired then you can pull to one side etc,this can cause pain which will disappear until the next big effort

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:39 pm

Muscles build up endurance pretty fast... Knees don't. Start of each season it is usually my knees that tell me to take my time coming back to fitness.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Where exactly is the pain? Are you doing appropriate stretching?

I've had a bit of knee pain - in those cases stretching kept helped greatly. I don't have the problem anymore. This is just my personal experience. Check with a doctor to see what's wrong in your case.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:36 pm

I get a little pain in the outside of my knees. Probably work related, lots of twisting in summer as I get off a ladder onto rooves to service air conditioners. I wear grippy shoes so no twisting from the foot and the knee cops it all. Riding doesn't seem to make it any worse, sitting still does :?

zill

Postby zill » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:33 pm

foo on patrol wrote:If are getting pain in the knees and especially stabbing pain while riding, you need to back off some. Look at you setup and go from there with the bike but if if persists then you need to see a Dr. :wink:

Foo
It was my first ever 100km ride and then I did it again the next day. So that probably had something to do with it.

I'll definitely get some rest before doing them again. It's probably nothing serious.