Bafang BBS01 - Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT Recumbent

Aushiker

Bafang BBS01 - Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT Recumbent

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:11 pm

I decided after lots of research and soul searching to convert my Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT over to e-assist by installing a Bafang BBS01 mid-drive (crank drive). I placed the order for same from Paul at EM3EV last Friday. With this process now under way I thought I would document my experiences with the conversion here for those interested or who may be interested in going down this path.

So the first of the bits and pieces have arrived today. Really impressed with the service from [URL="https://www.jensonusa.com/"]JensonUSA
with four days delivery from the good ol' USA to my door here in Western Australia.

The conversion is not just about adding e-assist to the bike but also about getting it back into "commute" mode (a lot of bits and pieces where taken off for my LoGo P-38).

In the box was ...

K-Edge Gopro Pro Handlebar Mount for mounting my GoPro up front. A requirement for riding around here. :( Also makes it easy for me to swap my camera between my two main bikes.

A pair of SKS Slidecage Bottle Cages. These allow for the side mounting of the cage which makes accessing the water bottle much easier on the recumbent.

Ergon GP1 Performance Comfort Grips. These are so comfortable, both my recumbents have got them now and I will add them to my mountain bike in the future. Cannot recommend them enough.

Regards
Andrew

lobstermash

Re: Bafang BBS01 - Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT Recumbent

Postby lobstermash » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:50 pm

Cool project. A 2-wheel e-recumbent will surely be THE most efficient vehicle. Period.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:58 pm

lobstermash wrote:Cool project. A 2-wheel e-recumbent will surely be THE most efficient vehicle. Period.
Thanks. I guess time will tell :)

Andrew

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:20 pm

Be interested to see how it goes.

I don't think I want to convert my Giro 24 to electric, but something that doesn't use a hub drive is very interesting... as I have a dynamo up front and will move to hub gears soon.

geebee

Postby geebee » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:10 am

Andrew in case you missed it, motor hanging vertically, I think it looks better than against the deraileur post and harder to see the wattage :) the 750w sounds like it hauls a tandem nicely. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 91#p882391" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:14 am

A little more progress on this build, but still no sign of my Bafang BBS01 from EM3EV ... it was promised to be shipped before Easter but alas no update.

In the meantime I have received a Grin DC-DC Convert 6V 10w. Nice bit of kit and so it should be given the price ....

Also received a set of mudguards from Bacchetta. I went with the Bacchetta mudguards over the Planet Bike ones as they come in a 20/26 set for the Giro. Yet to finalise the fit but they look like they fit nicely.

@Geebee I think I have seen that image before or one similar. I do agree that is a nice mounting. I actually don't think I will have much choice anyway.

Andrew

nessbike

Postby nessbike » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi Aushiker - done quite a few installs of these kits lately - available in Oz from Switched on Cycles here in Canberra and at least one other mob in Melbourne I think? Only the 250W versions (from the link it looks like you are opting for the 350W version). A couple of tips for use - they do respond to torque - so if your a spinner learn to gear up not down to get maximum assistance (a bit backward for cyclists I know). I rode a 350W version at the show in China - don't think you'll be disappointed. The manual for the display (assuming it comes with the King meter) should be down loadable or send me the model number and I may have one I can send on. I've done several installs on cargo bikes for hauling a parent and one or 2 kids so should kick just you along nicely. Cheers Alex

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:18 am

nessbike wrote:Hi Aushiker - done quite a few installs of these kits lately - available in Oz from Switched on Cycles here in Canberra and at least one other mob in Melbourne I think? Only the 250W versions (from the link it looks like you are opting for the 350W version). A couple of tips for use - they do respond to torque - so if your a spinner learn to gear up not down to get maximum assistance (a bit backward for cyclists I know). I rode a 350W version at the show in China - don't think you'll be disappointed. The manual for the display (assuming it comes with the King meter) should be down loadable or send me the model number and I may have one I can send on. I've done several installs on cargo bikes for hauling a parent and one or 2 kids so should kick just you along nicely. Cheers Alex
Thanks for your comments. I was not aware of any Aussie dealers which is a pity.

I got an email saying it shipped on Thursday ... no tracking and they didn't know the courier ... that is odd for sure.

Andrew

nessbike

Postby nessbike » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:18 pm

I've got some small parts from them before - delivery is slow - so if you see it inside 3 weeks from shipping you've done well.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:11 am

nessbike wrote:I've got some small parts from them before - delivery is slow - so if you see it inside 3 weeks from shipping you've done well.
A guy on Endless-Sphere got his in a week from China to US, so hopefully I will be the same.

Andrew

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:42 am

Aushiker wrote:

Ergon GP1 Performance Comfort Grips. These are so comfortable, both my recumbents have got them now and I will add them to my mountain bike in the future. Cannot recommend them enough.

Regards
Andrew
If you like these grips & the colour green then today is your lucky day as I have an un-wanted pair here which have had very limited use in VGC. I'll send them to you for zero $. Just PM me your address if you'd like them ?

Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:55 am

ZepinAtor wrote:If you like these grips & the colour green then today is your lucky day as I have an un-wanted pair here which have had very limited use in VGC. I'll send them to you for zero $. Just PM me your address if you'd like them ?
Thank you for your kind offer. PM sent.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 01, 2014 3:04 pm

The motor and chargers have arrived along with the parts I ordered from Germany. So all coming together.

The only thing I am awaiting for is the battery. Tracking shows it came into Perth today and wait for it, it has then gone on to Alexandria in NSW for customs clearance and now delivery is expected on Monday! Thanks FedEx for that one ... another week before it is all go.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 02, 2014 2:20 pm

Progress is slowly occurring. I now have the Bafang BBS01 36v 350W motor and all the other bits and pieces I wanted for the conversion (e.g., rack) bar the battery. The battery was coming via FedEx in a separate parcel and FedEx flew it into Perth where I am and then promptly sent it over to the other-side of the country where it is now held up by Customs as it seems it was valued at $41.00 which funnily enough Customs didn't believe. Hopefully it can be easily assorted and will turn up next week.

More photos at Google+ Photos if interested.

Regards
Andrew

nessbike

Postby nessbike » Fri May 02, 2014 8:35 pm

Andrew, I have electronic copies of installation manuals and display manuals if you need them. Cheers Alex

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 02, 2014 9:32 pm

nessbike wrote:Andrew, I have electronic copies of installation manuals and display manuals if you need them. Cheers Alex
Thanks Alex but I believe I have copies unless there are different or later versions around. I downloaded the ones hosted at EM3EV.com.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:24 pm

Its done, well my Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT with Bafang BBS01 e-Assist (pedelec) had its maiden ride today. Nothing to long, just 30 odd minutes as I am currently restricted to 30 minute rides plus there a still a few niggles to sort out in terms of fine tuning the rider setup and front brakes as well as a couple of bigger issues to resolve.

The main issue to resolve in terms of the conversion is the rear rack. The Topeak MTX Explorer Tubular Rack w/disc rack is simply to tall for this bike so will have to look at other options. Ideally whatever rack I use will take a European rear light but at least it must have a plate on the top to allow mounting of the battery. The search begins.

I am also not happy with the wiring so will look at getting some wire mesh guard to tidy up the wiring once I have the Busch & Muller e-bike light to go on the front in place of the dynamo powered light there now.

Regards
Andrew

geebee

Postby geebee » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:35 pm

Hi Andrew, any chance you could bolt the battery directly to the seat?
Then a small bracket to mount the tail light on the head rest arm?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:57 pm

geebee wrote:Hi Andrew, any chance you could bolt the battery directly to the seat?
Then a small bracket to mount the tail light on the head rest arm?
That is a possibility I hadn't considered. My only concern would be the lost of a water bottle cage but then could use a bladder. Also I do wonder about the weight load. WIll investigate further. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also found a rack which may work ... it is around the same height as the one that came with the bike. The rack which may work is a Axiom Journey Uni-Fit MK3 Alu Rear Rack.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:56 pm

geebee wrote:Hi Andrew, any chance you could bolt the battery directly to the seat?
I had a little play mounting the battery to the seat tonight ... thoughts?

Andrew

geebee

Postby geebee » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:33 am

The bottle mounts may not cope with the weight pulling downward on them?
Also if you drop the bike will the battery be damaged?
Is it a hard shell seat, I was thinking a couple of holes and large washers and maybe across the seat in the V between the frame and seat.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:56 am

geebee wrote:The bottle mounts may not cope with the weight pulling downward on them?
That is my concern.
Also if you drop the bike will the battery be damaged?
Good point. I hadn't considered that.
Is it a hard shell seat, I was thinking a couple of holes and large washers and maybe across the seat in the V between the frame and seat.
It is the Euromesh seat which has a mesh back.

Euromesh Seat

Flying Furniture show a carbon seat but at $480 I will have to pass.

I have done more investigating in terms of a rack and I now think the small rack that came with the bike might have been an earlier model Delta rack, not an Axiom as first thought. Looking at Delta racks they have racks which have a height adjustment and seem to be aimed at 24" to 700c wheels so might be more suitable.

The Delta Megarack Ultra or Delta Megarack Universal might do the trick.

Delta Megarack Ultra

Deltra Megarack Universal

What I will do is mock up the mounting with my original rack just to see how it goes height wise and it terms of level. The rack itself is really too short I think and lacks a light mounting (less of an issue).

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:13 am

Found a photo of a battery mounted behind a Recurve seat (?) ... much better idea

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:40 am

on the subject of the Bafang BBS01 350w motor (and the 750w motor) there are a couple of reviews from Court at Electricbikereview.com

Interesting to see how the battery is mounted on the Surly.

Andrew

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:45 am

Aushiker wrote:Found a photo of a battery mounted behind a Recurve seat (?) ... much better idea

Andrew
Very upright seat.... How viable it is, is going to be very 'bent dependent. My seat is reclined enough to be quite close to my rack. How much room for the battery would depend a lot on how wide the battery was. And to some extent how heavy as the heavier it is the closer to the midline you want it.