Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

schroeds

Re: Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

Postby schroeds » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:03 pm

You can see it though in the superheated US Masters. .. Bet there's some serious ego at stake there

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:11 pm

schroeds wrote:You can see it though in the superheated US Masters. .. Bet there's some serious ego at stake there

I wonder how his is looking now :roll:

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:17 pm

The BMC Racing Team announced Friday that it is terminating the contract of Alessandro Ballan. Ballan received a two-year suspension from CONI Friday for charges in connection with his former team. In accordance with the BMC Racing Team's strict anti-doping policy, Ballan is no longer a member of the BMC Racing Team, said president/general manager Jim Ochowicz.

Best regards,
BMC Racing Team
Cycling is in my BNA

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:45 am

1 in 7 recreational triathletes doping (i.e. using illicit/prohibited substances for purpose of physical enhancement). It was higher for those that took part in the European championships.

From a survey of ~ 3,000 participants in three triathlons in Germany:
2,987 questionnaires were returned (99.7%). 12-month prevalences for physical and cognitive doping were 13.0% and 15.1%, respectively. The prevalence estimate for physical doping was significantly higher in athletes who also used physical enhancers, as well as in athletes who took part in the European Championship in Frankfurt compared to those who did not. The prevalence estimate for cognitive doping was significantly higher in athletes who also used physical and cognitive enhancers. Moreover, the use of physical and cognitive enhancers were significantly associated and also the use of physical and cognitive doping.
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0078702" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:25 pm

Pah... triathletes!

Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:42 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:1 in 7 recreational triathletes doping (i.e. using illicit/prohibited substances for purpose of physical enhancement). It was higher for those that took part in the European championships.
i don't get it. cheating at amateur sports is like taking a short cut on your evening run. who are you really kidding?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:04 am

Apologies if it's already n here but I didn't see it. I had the thought the other day that I hadn't heard what happened to Remi di Gregorio after he got arrested at the 2012 Tour so had a look. Apparently the charges were dropped by the police as the substances found were 'vitamins' and he has successfully sued Cofidis for giving him the boot.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/di-greg ... er-cofidis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:14 am

This is a really good read about the Stuart O'grady Doping Admission and specifically the age-old claim "I only doped once".
John Thompson-Mills on The Roar wrote:But the “only did it once” comment never sat easily with me.

I wanted to believe him, but in my opinion, even when we know we’re about to do something wrong, if we get away with it, the temptation to try it again is often too great to resist. After all, we’re only human.

So I found it hard to believe O’Grady only doped once. Well that was until I read his book, Battle Scars, which has just been released.

That said, what O’Grady says qualifies as “doping once” and what I consider, as “doping once” are different.

In my world, it means, you dope on one occasion. Once. Just a single pinprick and then that’s it. Nothing more, nothing less.
Source: The Roar: Stuart O’Grady: Once is enough

So commenting on the article, O'Grady, the hero, lost all standing however his new book Battle Scars provides answers for the author of the article above. A very well written book can captivate, I havn't read the book so at this stage am sceptical whether this means that all can be forgiven and forgotten. In no way do I wish pain or suffering, Marco Pantani paid the ultimate price. Doping practices do however affect others, sporting and career chances are taken away from others. Sponsors and fans invest into the sport which has been manipulated.

In the end the atheletes who cheated may end up successful and financially secure after the repercussions.... but what are they doing to give back to the sport. I believe there should be an obligation to spend time to charitably give back to cycling - supporting amature clubs and riders. Taking time to use the positive knowledge to build up others and set them on the right path.
Cycling is in my BNA

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:27 am

A 63% haemotocrit. Wow! They used to call Bjarne Riis Mr 60% but it seems he's been bettered.

"Venezuelan reported to have recorded haematocrit of 63%

Vuelta al Táchira winner Jimmy Briceño recorded a haemotocrit level of 63% according to newspaper Diario de los Andes. The 27-year-old Venezuelan rider underwent tests for his biological passport after he signed with Pro Continental team Androni Giocattoli-Venezuela. The team decided not to pursue the signing of Briceño."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/androni ... was-denied

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:34 pm

biker jk wrote:A 63% haemotocrit. Wow! They used to call Bjarne Riis Mr 60% but it seems he's been bettered.
A fantastic effort! His blood must have had the consistency of tomato sauce.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:02 pm

clackers wrote:
biker jk wrote:A 63% haemotocrit. Wow! They used to call Bjarne Riis Mr 60% but it seems he's been bettered.
A fantastic effort! His blood must have had the consistency of tomato sauce.
Modelling clay actually.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:11 pm

Lucky he didn't die in his sleep

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:33 pm

The early EPO users were advised to get up in the middle of the night and to let the circulation pick up, like aircraft passengers fighting off DVT.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:05 pm

clackers wrote:The early EPO users were advised to get up in the middle of the night and to let the circulation pick up, like aircraft passengers fighting off DVT.
Unfortunately some didn't take this advice or it wasn't available at the time, and paid with their lives. :cry:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:50 pm

biker jk wrote:
clackers wrote:The early EPO users were advised to get up in the middle of the night and to let the circulation pick up, like aircraft passengers fighting off DVT.
Unfortunately some didn't take this advice or it wasn't available at the time, and paid with their lives. :cry:
Greg Lemond tells a heartbreaking story of he and his wife getting a phone call in the middle of the night from the distraught wife of a former team mate who woke up to find her husband in the bed, cold to touch, not moving and unable to be roused. He was riding for a team that was known to use the gear.

Rumour has it she was paid off.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:43 pm

Looks like another doping case similar to JTL is looming for Team Sky.

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 91,00.html

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:14 pm

In case anyone argues that the Athletes Biological Passport is effective in preventing doping have a read of the conclusion to a paper written by Dr Ashenden.

"The Athlete Blood Passport is the most recent tool adopted by anti-doping authorities to detect athletes using performance-enhancing drugs such as recombinant human erythropoietin (rhEPO). This strategy relies on detecting abnormal variations in haematological variables caused by doping, against a background of biological and analytical variability. Ten subjects were given twice weekly intravenous injections of rhEPO for up to 12 weeks. Full blood counts were measured using a Sysmex XE-2100 automated haematology analyser, and total haemoglobin mass via a carbon monoxide rebreathing test. The sensitivity of the passport to flag abnormal deviations in blood values was evaluated using dedicated Athlete Blood Passport software. Our treatment regimen elicited a 10% increase in total haemoglobin mass equivalent to approximately two bags of reinfused blood. The passport software did not flag any subjects as being suspicious of doping whilst they were receiving rhEPO. We conclude that it is possible for athletes to use rhEPO without eliciting abnormal changes in the blood variables currently monitored by the Athlete Blood Passport."

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:25 pm

biker jk wrote:In case anyone argues that the Athletes Biological Passport is effective in preventing doping have a read of the conclusion to a paper written by Dr Ashenden.

"The Athlete Blood Passport is the most recent tool adopted by anti-doping authorities to detect athletes using performance-enhancing drugs such as recombinant human erythropoietin (rhEPO). This strategy relies on detecting abnormal variations in haematological variables caused by doping, against a background of biological and analytical variability. Ten subjects were given twice weekly intravenous injections of rhEPO for up to 12 weeks. Full blood counts were measured using a Sysmex XE-2100 automated haematology analyser, and total haemoglobin mass via a carbon monoxide rebreathing test. The sensitivity of the passport to flag abnormal deviations in blood values was evaluated using dedicated Athlete Blood Passport software. Our treatment regimen elicited a 10% increase in total haemoglobin mass equivalent to approximately two bags of reinfused blood. The passport software did not flag any subjects as being suspicious of doping whilst they were receiving rhEPO. We conclude that it is possible for athletes to use rhEPO without eliciting abnormal changes in the blood variables currently monitored by the Athlete Blood Passport."
Not exactly news. That study was published nearly 3 years ago:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21336951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
biker jk wrote:In case anyone argues that the Athletes Biological Passport is effective in preventing doping have a read of the conclusion to a paper written by Dr Ashenden.

Not exactly news. That study was published nearly 3 years ago:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21336951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, not news but worth reminding the faithful. "the new clean peloton". :lol:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:26 pm

Just out, Bruyneel reacts to a 10 year ban from USADA. While the technicalities could be debated until we / they are blue in the face, apparantly USADA are actually the bad ones.

Johan Bruyneel wrote:Today, the American Arbitration Association (the “AAA”) has issued a “decision” which purports to ban me from any participation in sport for 10 years.

I do not dispute that there are certain elements of my career that I wish had been different. Nor do I dispute that doping was a fact of life in the peloton for a considerable period of time. However, a very small minority of us has been used as scapegoats for an entire generation. There is clearly something wrong with a system that allows only six individuals to be punished as retribution for the sins of an era.

Did the US Postal team really operate “the most sophisticated, professional and successful doping program that sport has ever seen”? This headline-grabber has helped create a staggering industry of books and movies, but reveals only USADA’s talent for self-aggrandizement. The reality is very different. In due course, I will take the time to give a full account of events within my knowledge. In the meantime I would ask you to treat USADA’s partial and self-serving narrative of events with considerable circumspection.

From the very outset of this matter, I have disputed -- and continue to dispute -- the authority or jurisdiction of the AAA and/or the United States Anti-Doping Agency (“USADA”) as it pertains to me.

I am a Belgian national and I reside in the United Kingdom. I have never been a member of USA Cycling, nor any other national governing body of sport based in the United States. I have never signed any document or agreement granting USADA or the AAA any authority over my livelihood or me. None of the anti-doping rule violations alleged by USADA are said to have occurred on US soil. It simply cannot be correct or acceptable that USADA - a US organization - is freely able to determine the livelihood of any individual that it chooses to prosecute, without boundary and without oversight.

USADA, through its actions of “self-proclaiming worldwide jurisdiction”, has prevented the due process of taking course, and more in particular has short-circuited the governing bodies with the real authority and of which I have been a member during all the years of my career

Moreover, I am extremely disappointed with the manner in which the proceedings were conducted. I was not afforded certain crucial procedural safeguards, which are fundamental to ensuring a fair hearing. In particular, on multiple occasions, USADA violated the confidentiality of the proceedings – presumably aimed at prejudicing or manipulating any defense I might present - with almost total impunity. The whole experience has left me with little faith in cycling’s system of dispute resolution.

I am currently debating what my next step should be. I could still challenge the decision of the AAA in the Court of Arbitration for Sport, although that would again require me to put my faith in arbitration. I will shortly decide whether to keep up the fight or carry on and try to expose the hypocrisy of what USADA has put me and others through.
Cycling is in my BNA

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:58 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Just out, Bruyneel reacts to a 10 year ban from USADA. While the technicalities could be debated until we / they are blue in the face, apparantly USADA are actually the bad ones.

Johan Bruyneel wrote:Today, the American Arbitration Association (the “AAA”) has issued a “decision” which purports to ban me from any participation in sport for 10 years.

I do not dispute that there are certain elements of my career that I wish had been different. Nor do I dispute that doping was a fact of life in the peloton for a considerable period of time. However, a very small minority of us has been used as scapegoats for an entire generation. There is clearly something wrong with a system that allows only six individuals to be punished as retribution for the sins of an era.

Did the US Postal team really operate “the most sophisticated, professional and successful doping program that sport has ever seen”? This headline-grabber has helped create a staggering industry of books and movies, but reveals only USADA’s talent for self-aggrandizement. The reality is very different. In due course, I will take the time to give a full account of events within my knowledge. In the meantime I would ask you to treat USADA’s partial and self-serving narrative of events with considerable circumspection.

From the very outset of this matter, I have disputed -- and continue to dispute -- the authority or jurisdiction of the AAA and/or the United States Anti-Doping Agency (“USADA”) as it pertains to me.

I am a Belgian national and I reside in the United Kingdom. I have never been a member of USA Cycling, nor any other national governing body of sport based in the United States. I have never signed any document or agreement granting USADA or the AAA any authority over my livelihood or me. None of the anti-doping rule violations alleged by USADA are said to have occurred on US soil. It simply cannot be correct or acceptable that USADA - a US organization - is freely able to determine the livelihood of any individual that it chooses to prosecute, without boundary and without oversight.

USADA, through its actions of “self-proclaiming worldwide jurisdiction”, has prevented the due process of taking course, and more in particular has short-circuited the governing bodies with the real authority and of which I have been a member during all the years of my career

Moreover, I am extremely disappointed with the manner in which the proceedings were conducted. I was not afforded certain crucial procedural safeguards, which are fundamental to ensuring a fair hearing. In particular, on multiple occasions, USADA violated the confidentiality of the proceedings – presumably aimed at prejudicing or manipulating any defense I might present - with almost total impunity. The whole experience has left me with little faith in cycling’s system of dispute resolution.

I am currently debating what my next step should be. I could still challenge the decision of the AAA in the Court of Arbitration for Sport, although that would again require me to put my faith in arbitration. I will shortly decide whether to keep up the fight or carry on and try to expose the hypocrisy of what USADA has put me and others through.
Sook

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:26 am

Not a lot of remorse there given the immense damage he's done to the sport.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:48 am

Given what he knows or can infer about the other teams I have little doubt he is right about their regime being relatively conservative.

Nonetheless it's he and his team USADA has evidence on, and what they allege about Tailwind Sports is true. Tailwind is a US based operation.

Whinging about technicalities ... this guy is lucky he ONLY got ten years.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:33 pm

Bruyneel's complaint about jurisdiction is nonsense and is well and truly dealt with under the UCI's anti-doping regulations (which every UCI licence holder agrees to when they take a licence).

The ADA that uncovers a (non-sample positive) doping infraction or evidence of such has the jurisdiction, irrespective of the country of the ADA or the nationality of the alleged doper.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:35 pm

herzog wrote:Not a lot of remorse there given the immense damage he's done to the sport.
He has a new book out soon titled "We might as well lie and cheat". :lol: