Help finding new single speed frameset

goudgey

Help finding new single speed frameset

Postby goudgey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:54 pm

*Posted this in the new bike/gear forum without any response so thought I'd try again here

Hi All,

Seeking advice on single speed framesets to replace my current frameset.

I'm commuting on a racey Fuji Track with significant saddle to bar drop at the moment and have come to the conclusion that its slightly on the small side, being a 54/medium (road bike is a 56).

I'm after a replacement frameset that ideally meets the following criteria:
_ slightly more relaxed geometry
_ able to fit brakes front & back
_ fit water bottle cage
_ 120mm rear spacing (only so i dont have to upgrade my current wheelset)
_ clearance for 28mm tyres
_ steel preferred
_ $500 or under
_ able to be sourced locally (Adelaide) or via the internet

I was thinking along the lines of Surly Steamroller but this would far exceed my budget at close to $1k for the frameset. A Charge Plug might also fit the bill, but I'm unable to find a frameset for sale, only complete bikes.

I'm looking for recommendations from the good folk of BNA.

Thanks,
Mark

HLC

Re: Help finding new single speed frameset

Postby HLC » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:56 pm

Talk to the guys at http://www.gearbrisbane.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they should be able to help you out.

Fairly specific set of requirements.

You could just buy a complete fixie from Cell and get rid of all the components and use the frame... the chromoly ones aren't too bad!

goudgey

Postby goudgey » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:12 pm

I thought my list of requirements were fairly basic really. Nothing in there that I'd think was hard to come by, except for perhaps the price tag.
I'm sure the Cell chromoly frames are very good value for the price but I'm after something a little bit more up market.
Surely there's someone out there in fix I eland who can assist, or are you all off somewhere comparing ironic moustaches and drinking double hopped Venezuelan IPA? ;-)

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:01 am

SE Lager?

Not sure of availability as a frame set new but I picked up mine recently as NOS, shop soiled for 130.
I had a Specialized Langstee prior and wanted something a bit more relaxed and with bigger tyre clearance.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:45 am

I was about to advertise my Bianchi Pista Via Brera which ticks all your boxes, but two (sort of ?)

It's a 56cm, has front & rear brake mounts, made of Chromo Lite double butted steel, 120mm rear spacing, good tyre clearance & a more relaxed geometry than a track frame.

It doesn't however have water bottle mounts, but I have successfully mounted a cage with external straps (see photo below). Price wise I was going to sell complete for $700 which is half what I paid for it only 4 years ago. This bike is in as new condition & has been on the bike path only 4 times. It's traveled less than 200km.

Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

goudgey

Postby goudgey » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:09 pm

Hey ZepinAtor, where abouts are you?
What would you be looking for for just the frameset and headset?
Cheers,
Mark
ZepinAtor wrote:I was about to advertise my Bianchi Pista Via Brera which ticks all your boxes, but two (sort of ?)

It's a 56cm, has front & rear brake mounts, made of Chromo Lite double butted steel, 120mm rear spacing, good tyre clearance & a more relaxed geometry than a track frame.

It doesn't however have water bottle mounts, but I have successfully mounted a cage with external straps (see photo below). Price wise I was going to sell complete for $700 which is half what I paid for it only 4 years ago. This bike is in as new condition & has been on the bike path only 4 times. It's traveled less than 200km.

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:15 pm

goudgey wrote:Hey ZepinAtor, where abouts are you?
Cheers,
Mark
I'm located in Everton Hills (10km north of the Brisbane CBD)

I hadn't really considered splitting the bike as I don't want any of the components & selling everything off separately is something I'd like to avoid. You could however buy the complete bike & sell what you don't want ?

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:59 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
goudgey wrote:Hey ZepinAtor, where abouts are you?
Cheers,
Mark
I'm located in Everton Hills (10km north of the Brisbane CBD)

I hadn't really considered splitting the bike as I don't want any of the components & selling everything off separately is something I'd like to avoid. You could however buy the complete bike & sell what you don't want ?

Translation: $700 for frame, fork & headset, you get the rest of the parts for free.

goudgey

Postby goudgey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks for the translation HLC. Unfortunately I recon the cost of postage from Brisbane to Adelaide makes it untenable for me.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:49 pm

goudgey wrote:Thanks for the translation HLC. Unfortunately I recon the cost of postage from Brisbane to Adelaide makes it untenable for me.

Possibly not as I'd send it to you for $700 inclusive of freight which would be my expense. E-go which is a pain in the butt would only cost $50 in freight & $50 insurance. If you didn't want the insurance you could have it for $650 ?

SprintAce

Postby SprintAce » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:25 pm

http://www.velogear.com.au/bike-parts/f ... frame.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPV4/on- ... 4-frameset" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

felixe

Postby felixe » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:12 pm

Sorry to Hijack the thread...

Zepinator - if you are still interested in selling, send me a PM. I am looking for a SS and I am in Brisbane.

Back to the current discussion...

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am

felixe wrote:Sorry to Hijack the thread...

Zepinator - if you are still interested in selling, send me a PM. I am looking for a SS and I am in Brisbane.

Back to the current discussion...
PM replied to Felixe.

OP has contacted me in regards to the Bianchi & instructed me to sell it as I see fit. When he returns from OS it will most probably be sold & to be quite honest a local sale is my personal preference.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:15 pm

I've sold my Bianchi to a local member, but this (link below) is currently being advertised on the for sale forums,

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 25&t=74041" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;