critical mass in brisbane!

eliza

Postby eliza » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:16 pm

aet4016 wrote:
Hi Andrew,
Re what CM looks likes:
While there has been discussion about CMers "running red lights" "going through stop signs" and "corking". This really has to be put in perspective.
During CM it's not a case of 'let's run every red light we come across' but a case of 'the light's turned orange while 2/3rds of us are through, lets get the last 1/3rd to come through too'
The POINT of CM is not to run red lights and go through stop signs, but... that CAN be a by-product of keeping the mass together, which IS the point of CM.
-- snip --
Eliza,
If the point of a 'critical mass' ride is for a substantial number of cyclists to demonstrate a viable alternative to cars then the event could just as readily take place on a weekend (as has already been suggested) - why does it need to take place during peak hour on a Friday afternoon?

Andrew
'cos that's when many cyclists finish work too?
how can we demonstrate a viable alternative when there's no one around to see it?
Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~James E. Starrs

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:19 pm

eliza wrote:oh, and guess what i found out today!?

Critical Mass already happens in Brisbane :D

where: meet at Queen's Park, corner of George and Elizabeth streets behind the !!! possible spammer !!!
Ummmm, behind the what??? :?

Funny that no one on the site knew that it was still happenning...so perhaps the site hasn't got so much of a cross section of cyslists as I thought it probably had.

That isn't a criticism, as a new participant I'm liking the site, but it'd be interesting to see what might encourage involvement from a wider range of cyclists. Maybe an advocasy/lobbying section in the forums?

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:25 pm

If the point of a 'critical mass' ride is for a substantial number of cyclists to demonstrate a viable alternative to cars then the event could just as readily take place on a weekend (as has already been suggested) - why does it need to take place during peak hour on a Friday afternoon?

Andrew
I've got to say that peak hour does clearly demonstrate how many cyclists fit into the space of a car, and it is also a time when cyclists can get places much faster than cars, so it really can demonstrate some of the benefits...and get people thinking :D

eliza

Postby eliza » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:28 pm

Pax wrote:
eliza wrote:oh, and guess what i found out today!?

Critical Mass already happens in Brisbane :D

where: meet at Queen's Park, corner of George and Elizabeth streets behind the !!! possible spammer !!!
Ummmm, behind the what??? :?

Funny that no one on the site knew that it was still happenning...so perhaps the site hasn't got so much of a cross section of cyslists as I thought it probably had.

That isn't a criticism, as a new participant I'm liking the site, but it'd be interesting to see what might encourage involvement from a wider range of cyclists. Maybe an advocasy/lobbying section in the forums?
that's very funny.
behind the possible spammer of course! :lol:

behind the... ummm... place where you go with some money, and you usually lose that money, usually while playing electronic machines with annoying music, or while playing cards, or watching a little ball go around hoping it will land on red, or black, or no. 14...

got it?

yeah, i guess CM Brisbane is concentrated among a few people.
I couldn't find anything on line!
but i did find a poster on a noticeboard in the West End today and a flier at Bicycle Revolution... so there you go.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:36 pm

eliza wrote:....
Cars take up "entire lanes" all the time! often with only one person!
while bikes have to ride off to the side?!
No wonder you're having problems on the road - bikes do not have to stay on the side of the road. A cyclist can take the entire lane if they deem it necessary for their safety to do so. Be assertive and predictable and you'll have fewer issues with drivers.

Bikes also do not have to ride single file. They can ride two abreast, but no more than two abreast unless overtaking.

How's critical mass in Melbourne going? It looks like they have been running them for about 12 years.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

eliza

Postby eliza » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:43 pm

Kalgrm wrote: How's critical mass in Melbourne going? It looks like they have been running them for about 12 years.
mmm... interesting...
even alongside advocacy!
it appears there CAN be more than one tactic. Hoorah!

I would love to watch you ride Graeme.
riding in the centre of the lane i'd imagine you would have a lot of problems with cars!

again, let's look at reality rather than the rule books.
it's not difficult:
bikes ride to the side of other traffic.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:30 pm

Actually, I never have problems with car drivers. I take the lane when I need to and when it's safe for me to do so. Drivers have no choice but to let me get past the obstacle which forced me into the middle of the lane, after which I move left again. If the hazard exists for a long distance, they overtake when the on-coming lane is clear.

I can't remember the last time this tactic caused problems for me - I do it habitually these days.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:39 pm

So let me get this right. You are doing a protest ride with no set goal then what is the point to doing it, and during peak hour like has been said. If you are just doing this ride for the fun of riding you could always ride as a group at 5am on a saturday or sunday.

I'm sorry where is the Queensland Road rules does it say that a group is considered a single vehicle, therefore every rider that continues throught a red light just to keep with the group is breaking the law. That is like a motorist running a red light because his mate is showing him the way home.

Donald

May I say at the moment I see this perpose of CM as useful as complaining about the overcrowding or our trains and buses but not having any background info
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Ricco

CM purpose

Postby Ricco » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:55 pm

:? Hi all

Is not the purpose of CM to gain support by why of exposure of an issue?

Then 200 riders riding a street circut/route once a month will get some attention, though to the casual observer may not seem to have a goal even if they see that days news. Given the event makes it that far.

Though won't five riders(or more) riding the same path 40 times in a month gain far more attention. And to even the casual observer that spots them a couple of times the goal is obvious.

5 riders together can ride safely, and ride in areas a single cyclist would be silly to! Kitted up correctly the message can be made clear. Given a well planned route these trips would grow and so to the benefits,etc.,etc..

I am sure a committed group of as few as 10 riders could make this happen, rain, hail or shine.

:P Just an idea :!: