The difference between training and racing

tuco

The difference between training and racing

Postby tuco » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:14 pm

Here's a comparison of a training ride and a race 24 hours apart.

Yesterday I rode 45km with an average in the low 30's.
Ride time - 1h 25m
In fat burning zone - 1h 7m
average HR - 149
Max HR - 168
Calories burnt - 1115cal

Today was a 5 lap 4.4km circuit with a large hill and a small hill.
22km with an average of 29 (the hills lowered the average)
Ride time - low 40 minute mark (Too knacked to stop my computer)
In fat burning zone - 7 minutes (yes, only 7 minutes!)
Average HR - 168
Max HR - 189
Calories burnt - 795 cal

Makes for interesting reading. Note the difference in the calories. Half the distance in the race but way more than half the calories of the 45km ride at the same speed. It was no doubt the hill which used the extra calories.

As for the race I was third. I was leading on the last lap at the bottom of the large hill but I was rooted and was passed up the next small hill just before the finish line. I was half a lap ahead of fourth so I eased off up the hill then hit 46km/h on the flat before the line. As I get fitter I'll put in more effort in the finishes. No point hurting myself at this stage.

Megan did well. She got second. They did 4 laps. On the last lap she worked with another girl to catch a boy way out ahead (about 100m). They caught him then the other girl dropped off leaving the two of them to fight it our for first.
The boy drafted her then passed near the line. A little bit more experience and she'll be on to that trick. Not a bad effort considering she's only ridden around the circuit twice before.

I'm getting well known. Everyone comes up to me and says, "You're Megan's Dad, aren't you?"

No photos this week. Should have some next race next week.

Let me know if I boring you with the race posts.
Last edited by tuco on Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Race reports are interesting, please keep posting. Good to see the photos too.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

TriggerFish

Postby TriggerFish » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:33 pm

Loving the reports! It's nice to bask in the reflected glory of Megan's Dad. Looking forward to basking in some reflected glory someday soon myself.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:47 pm

Keep it up Tuco, you, Megan and the other racers here are doing it for fun, not dollars, there's a level of enthusiasm you don't read in pro reports. :D

[size=0]Well I think so.[/size]

JackHenry

Postby JackHenry » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:57 pm

On this issue, does anyone know of software (free, shareware or otherwise) that is good for keeping training ride information such as HR distance speed etc.

I'm currently using excel, but I'm sure there is something custom made for riding.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Nobody seemed to spot my race report on the Digging Trenchs thread ha ha.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:29 am

You could look at the Polar website - not sure if you need to have a polar hrm to use this or not. It is pretty basic though. Perhaps Cyclistats is the go? Very informative, but may be over the top.

Moo...

senator52

Postby senator52 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:00 am

Love the race recap's Tuco, keep it up mate, good for those of us that only dream... :P

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:32 am

JackHenry wrote:On this issue, does anyone know of software (free, shareware or otherwise) that is good for keeping training ride information such as HR distance speed etc.

I'm currently using excel, but I'm sure there is something custom made for riding.
To what extent are you using excel?
Are you making use of all the graphing facilities?

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:55 pm

JackHenry wrote:On this issue, does anyone know of software (free, shareware or otherwise) that is good for keeping training ride information such as HR distance speed etc.
Have you seen the Cycle2Max site? If you register there, you can keep a record of training (not just rides, but gym work as well) with distance, time, intensity, average HR, time in zones and some other stuff, like weight loss, personal goals etc. I'm keeping my training records there and it's OK. When I've saved up my pennies for a heart rate monitor, I'll use the Polar software / site.

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:54 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:
Have you seen the Cycle2Max site? If you register there, you can keep a record of training (not just rides, but gym work as well) with distance, time, intensity, average HR, time in zones and some other stuff, like weight loss, personal goals etc. I'm keeping my training records there and it's OK. When I've saved up my pennies for a heart rate monitor, I'll use the Polar software / site.
I tried logging on to cycle2max but they didn't believe I was Robbie McEwen.

Can anyone use the polar site or is it only for data from a polar HRM?