Dual Suspension, how cheap?

simonn

Dual Suspension, how cheap?

Postby simonn » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:28 pm

Two things happened this weekend...

1) Met some friends of ours - we have kids about the same age. They rode to meet us. One of the bikes was a Specialized Enduro 26. Very light. Had a quick ride on cycle path. Very nice. No idea of the cost until later :shock:

2) Took my CX around Manly Dam this weekend. Loads of fun, except on the more technical sections where I had to dismount and clamber. Also had to slow down quite a lot.

1 + 2 = N + 1 (maybe :)).

Anyway, looking around at the cheaper range of dual sus e.g. ~$1500. How bad/heavy are they? Are you better off with a better hardtail than a cheap dual sus? etc.

Calvin27

Re: Dual Suspension, how cheap?

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Sub 15kg - not too bad. There are some good dually sales on now. Trekfest have some good ones going for $1600. At $1500= mark (lets face it $1500- is not a good idea).

I'd personally go for a dually at that price range over a hard tail (flame suit on). Extra suspension saves your joints.

Having said that though, if you're already thinking about weight go for $2.5k price range. All these weight reduction costs add up fast.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:08 pm

for $1500 you can get a decent 2nd hand dually if you know what your looking for.
I just picked up a 3 yr old Giant Anthem x for $610. bike off ebay was $400 and I spent $210 on parts that needed replacing from wiggle. There are bargains out there.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:20 pm

A dual suspension MTB is not something I would buy second hand unless it was a real steal (You giant qualifies :D ). For example the Giant Anthems have a known top tube cracking issue. Giant does wonders replacing frames but good luck if you're not the original buyer.

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/29er-d ... /102473047" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:48 pm

Calvin27 wrote:A dual suspension MTB is not something I would buy second hand unless it was a real steal (You giant qualifies :D ). For example the Giant Anthems have a known top tube cracking issue. Giant does wonders replacing frames but good luck if you're not the original buyer.

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/29er-d ... /102473047" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
new equivalent to what I got (but 27.5") is $2799 so I am happy to take a risk on the frame, I can crack a few and still be ahead :D :D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:25 pm

I could be wrong but I think the buzz around the Giant Anthem frames breaking has been confined to the alloy 29ers. It's not an issue that cme to my attention with the 26ers. No, I wouldn't buy a used one either.

Simon, I think you're still over my way somewhere? I've bought most of my bikes secondhand and have had good experiences, but you do need to know what to look for. If you'd like a second set of eyes, I'm happy to tag along on a Saturday arvo if you're driving.

You can get a *very* good used bike for $1500. To get something decent new you'd be looking at a minimum of $2.5k.

A used option that might be of interest:
Medium Cannondale Rize: http://nobmob.com/node/46176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I have the alloy version and it's a real nice bike to ride

The same guy may have a 2012 Scalpel for sale (also a medium) for an excellent price. Might be a little bit more than your budget as it was/is an $8k bike new, but it can't hurt to ask. The Scalpel 29ers have a reputation for being tough bikes. I have a mate who breaks bikes regularly, and destroys forks and pivot bearings (no way I'll lend him any of mine), and it's survived two years under him with no structural problems.

If you want to throw links to any you are looking at my way I'm happy to let you know what I think.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:43 am

Thanks trailgumby. I am around your way and may well take you up on your kind offer. I still have to figure out how to finalize my proposal to the financial director though... I have a cunning plan :)

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:48 am

When buying a dually use the words; .physio, fatigue, disc bulge, spine, stress, impact' in a random sentence. I'd be surprised if your budget didn't double.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

Cougar2465

Postby Cougar2465 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:39 am

Calvin27 wrote:When buying a dually use the words; .physio, fatigue, disc bulge, spine, stress, impact' in a random sentence. I'd be surprised if your budget didn't double.
+1000 ... so so true

Have to stop playing tennis due to my wornout knees and was advised to take up cycling.

I looked for a hardtail mtb around for $2000 and tested few Specialized bikes but ended up getting the 2014 Spec Camber Comp Carbon dually ($4299) due to the comfy and the support for my wornout knees.

My knees are very happy!

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:00 am

I'd have no qualms about investing $1,500 in a used duallie...perhaps even a blinged out alloy Anthem 29er (which I happen to have - and there's three harder ridden ones in our sister club - no frame failures). Yes there's been failures in the 2011-2013 alloy and carbon 29er frames but many seem to be the result of riders repeatedly using an XC bike in AM territory. Giant's response has been to enlarge the top tube/seat tube junction.

You'll certainly get better bang for your buck used than buying new. Even so there is the odd good thing out there that's new and hits your budget.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:08 am

Would Manly Dam be XC or AM territory?

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:13 am

I am a deer with no eyes. The last time I saw that track was in the nineties and I walked it. My guess (given you got a CX bike around most of it) is XC.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:18 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:I am a deer with no eyes. The last time I saw that track was in the nineties and I walked it. My guess (given you got a CX bike around most of it) is XC.
I walked/scrambled around most of the technical sections though.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:39 am

simonn wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:I am a deer with no eyes. The last time I saw that track was in the nineties and I walked it. My guess (given you got a CX bike around most of it) is XC.
That might be down to your technique rather than a true representation of the terrain...

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/89689947[/vimeo]
Last edited by silentbutdeadly on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:46 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:
simonn wrote:
That might be down to your technique rather than a true representation of the terrain...
Certainly!

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:21 pm

Cougar2465 wrote:
Calvin27 wrote:When buying a dually use the words; .physio, fatigue, disc bulge, spine, stress, impact' in a random sentence. I'd be surprised if your budget didn't double.
+1000 ... so so true

Have to stop playing tennis due to my wornout knees and was advised to take up cycling.

I looked for a hardtail mtb around for $2000 and tested few Specialized bikes but ended up getting the 2014 Spec Camber Comp Carbon dually ($4299) due to the comfy and the support for my wornout knees.

My knees are very happy!
Holy crap that's exactly what happened to me! Only thing is downhill on a MTB (even though I had a comfortable steel bike) is tough on the legs without suspension. Rock beds just shake the crap out of your joints too.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

Cougar2465

Postby Cougar2465 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:27 pm

I can't even go on a trail and stand on pedals without hurting my knees at the moment. Hopefully in a few months I can take the bike offroad where it belongs.
For now, I am using Big Apple 2.35 tyres ... lots of fun onroad :D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:20 pm

Manly Dam is my local trail. I'm litterally a 2min ride from one of the trailheads. I call it XC, but it has substantial intermediate (IMBA Blue rating) to advanced (IMBA Black rating) sections. It is not a beginners trail, although most beginners would be able to ride most of it so long as they walked the tricky bits and rode the rest slowly.

I ride my 100mm travel XC 29er around there and lots of folks ride XC hardtails. If places like Red Hill are on your wish list you would be looking at something with slack geometry and burly like a Giant Reign, knee-shin and elbow-forearm guards and a full-face helmet.

120-130mm travel on a 26er is a real sweet spot for the fun factor around Manly Dam. :D I love riding my Rize around there.

The Camber 29er would be a good fit for fun-oriented riding. So would the Cannondale Trigger 29er and the Giant Trance X 29er. Whyte also make a nice 120mm travel 29er that you could look at.

NPWS is about to start building a trail in Bantry Bay so we'll have a really interesting network a stone's throw from my front door in a few months.

There are also great trails around Belrose, St Ives and Terrey Hills that are within easy riding distance and I will frequently link these up into a 60km loop for my usual weekend mtb ride. :D

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:11 pm

One other thing to remember is that a cheap dually can be about as comfortable as a pogo stick.