Good training / time trail rides inner Melbourne?

zill

Good training / time trail rides inner Melbourne?

Postby zill » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:13 pm

Can people please recommend some good roads (preferrably without traffic lights and not too dangerous for cyclists) in Melbourne?

My faviourate is the Kew Boulevard. Are there some other roads which are similar to it in Melbourne?

Although a long ride, Beach Rd has too many traffic lights and is too dangerous for my liking.

marty_one

Re: Good training / time trail rides inner Melbourne?

Postby marty_one » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:21 am

I suppose it depends on where you live. myself im out in ferntree gully and only recently I found one good location (in an Caribbean Industrial Estate complex) which is a 3.,4km loop but its not flat with nice inclines and its fast! I went there a couple of weeks ago on a saturday night at around 8pm and it was stupidly quiet (only saw 4 cars and one was the roving security patrol), at that time of night though it was very dark around the back part of the circuit. There is also the crietrium track at casey fields this is a 2km loop. Both of these locations are traffic light free, however Caribbean is definately a place to head after business hours.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:19 am

If you like hills you can try Mt Pleasant Rd in Eltham, or Banyule/Henty/Bonds Rd in Templestowe.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:12 pm

A lot of people use Burnley bouli too - the flat bit from Bridge Road around to the freeway. Nice 6km loop, only one real intersection so it's good for intervals down/recovery back. Just keep eyes on around the school (including weekends when it's used by other groups).

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:06 am

Beach Road is dangerous?

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:33 pm

zill wrote:Although a long ride, Beach Rd has too many traffic lights and is too dangerous for my liking.
Judging by the number of cyclists there every morning and afternoon and especially weekends, I really don't think that beach road is dangerous. Most of the motorists who are travelling on that road are aware and expect cyclists to be around.

I personally think that beach road is pretty good. From my mates place to the Tour de Cafe' and back is a nice 40km ride. Yes its not dead pan flat and yes there are lights, but it would be pretty hard to find another road like it close by, especially with a low traffic light count.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

kb

Postby kb » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:06 pm

marty_one wrote:
zill wrote:Although a long ride, Beach Rd has too many traffic lights and is too dangerous for my liking.
Judging by the number of cyclists there every morning and afternoon and especially weekends, I really don't think that beach road is dangerous.
Well it can be hard to tell from personal experience, but judging by the number of ambulances I've seen I'd be careful. Mostly doorings, a couple of overlapped wheels.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:24 pm

kb wrote:
marty_one wrote:
Judging by the number of cyclists there every morning and afternoon and especially weekends, I really don't think that beach road is dangerous.
Well it can be hard to tell from personal experience, but judging by the number of ambulances I've seen I'd be careful. Mostly doorings, a couple of overlapped wheels.
There is generally plenty of room along beach road to avoid being doored. Yes I know it's the drivers fault but why take the risk? Just give the cars a meter or so and the risk is greatly reduced. I was amazed today to see an experienced rider riding inches from parked cars through some of the busier areas. Traffic was light and all the drivers were very well behaved. I also think Beach Road is about as safe as you're going to get riding road bikes in Melbourne.
I was going to suggest Kinglake via Humevale but if you think Beach road is dangerous you'll have knicks full of bricks riding up plenty road.
Do you know about the crit track at Yarra Boulevard? No cars, no lights, some speed and some elevation.
There is also velodromes in Hawthorn, Brunswick/Coburg and the freshly resurfaced one next to the Reservoir leisure centre.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:09 pm

SuperSix wrote:
kb wrote:
marty_one wrote:Judging by the number of cyclists there every morning and afternoon and especially weekends, I really don't think that beach road is dangerous.
I also think Beach Road is about as safe as you're going to get riding road bikes in Melbourne.
Sorry, but I disagree. I commuted along Beach Rd for a few years, and found that, regardless of my lane position, numerous inattentive or just plain malicious motorists made it dangerous. It's safer on weekends, due to the safety in numbers factor, but on weekdays it's definitely not one of Melbourne's safer roads.

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:11 pm

The other option if you can work it into your schedule is to go early in the morning. It'll have to be very early, but pre-5am Melbourne is pretty much deserted and you can use any road you like. From 5am it builds quickly and by 6am I dread being on the road pretty much everywhere. Obviously it can be hard to implement, but it is great to have empty roads. I love it :)

zill

Postby zill » Sat May 03, 2014 9:48 pm

SuperSix wrote:
Do you know about the crit track at Yarra Boulevard? No cars, no lights, some speed and some elevation.
There is also velodromes in Hawthorn, Brunswick/Coburg and the freshly resurfaced one next to the Reservoir leisure centre.
I find it extremely boring riding on the crit track or velodromes...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat May 03, 2014 10:06 pm

Yarra Boulevard is a crit track unlike most. Out and back AFAIK, winding along the river through bush with quite a few hills to climb. Unfortunately in the past month or two there have been outbreaks of some maggots throwing carpet tacks in large numbers on the road :(

So it won't be boring for you :P

The non-boring training is to ride out to the Dandies and then do 'The Cricifixion'. If the 142kms is too much you could always use the train out to Boronia or Upper FTG.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

kb

Postby kb » Sun May 04, 2014 8:07 am

I think inner Melbourne you're asking a bit much. __PG__'s suggestion is pretty good though. Templestowe is what, 12km out?

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Tue May 06, 2014 10:10 pm

I was just about to post a similar question when I spotted this thread (I don't live in Melbourne).

Looking for suitable training rides for my 13 year old niece approx 40-50km for after school. Inner Melb, originating in Richmond / Sth Yarra / East Melb area. She has been riding the Boulevard but the tacks are a problem at present. It would make her day if there were some hard hills :) but she might have to wait for the weekend for those. She is a good time trialler, so wind wouldn't bother her; getting home safely is the main priority.

Alternatively, are there any morning bunch rides from that area - she WILL keep up (trust me, she can motorpace at 40kmh).

cheers.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

Fraggle

Postby Fraggle » Wed May 07, 2014 11:54 am

coffeeandwine wrote: Alternatively, are there any morning bunch rides from that area - she WILL keep up (trust me, she can motorpace at 40kmh).
Yes the tack issue is a real problem right now but the Boulie at the Burnley/Richmond end is good alternative lest it is very flat but (I find) very safe.
I suggest that you try Here or Bunch Rd Finder or Facebook (Hells 500 or 6amers, come to mind) or even start one yourself.

Also I think the Hawthorn club run often run a women's ride on the Kew Boulie and I think StKilda run a couple of "no drop" ride on Beach Rd. But then again they are in the a.m.

I guess once you've exhausted all of those option you could look a professional/coaching rides eg leadout cycling, etc.

And just a question what level does she wish to take her riding?? Does she wish to race or just get fitter/better?

Good luck

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Wed May 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks for all those suggestions Fraggle I will investigate them all and let her know. The Burnley/Richmond Boulie sounds promising.

She has already got in to racing and trains a couple of nights already, these are just "extra" training rides.

cheers and thanks.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine