How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TonyMax

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TonyMax » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:10 am

I was hurting this morning after last night playing my first game of indoor cricket in about 6 weeks.

My almost 45 year old back and knees can't handle it like they used to.

But I still did it. It would have been easy to wuss out and drive in to work.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 am

Summernight wrote: Oh, and for anyone that rides Elizabeth Street between Bourke and Little Bourke (heading towards Lonsdale), don't ride anywhere near the edge of the road - one of the drains has a massive pothole on the road side that will bring a cyclist down.
Is that the section with a tram super stop? If so, it is quite narrow and I ride in the middle of the lane as it is safer.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't go up there today but will be tomorrow, must try and remember this.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:06 am

The weather in Brisbane has been perfect for commuting...great sunrise yesterday as I went over the Story Bridge. Last commute today for a few weeks so I backed it off and enjoyed the ride...although I notice more cars are passing a lot closer..I guess the new passing rules are wearing off
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:07 am

Had new rubber fitted to my rear wheel yesterday, in the form of a new generation SMP - new tread pattern and some new materials, apparently.
My rear brakepads have worn almost all the way down, had to adjust the pads to the point where they rub on the rotor occasionally just to have some additional stopping power to supplement the front brake.
Ok ride back, felt like I was working harder than usual.

Pretty standard commute into the Melbourne CBD this morning, bit of a tailwind to assist my effort. Dry and clear during my ride, but people arriving at the office have got their brollies out, so I guess it's going to be a damp ride for commuters with a later start.

Had someone fail to comprehend how the bike racks in our bike cage work, blocking four spots:

Happy long weekend! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:58 am

I really don't understand the MGIF attitude displayed by some people. We are all familiar with drivers who MGIF, even when they are slower than you & seem incredulous when you pass them because they are actually slow. The last couple of days has been on display for cyclists too

Tuesday stopped at the lights, a young bloke in full FDJ kit rides around to stop directly in front of me. Fair enough I think, I am old & fat & slow, riding a 14 kg commuter complete with backpack & this will be the last I see of the young turk. I was correct, but that was because he was slower than a wet week & promptly disappeared backwards.

Wednesday again stopped at lights, same thing, this time a young lady on a seriously quick looking triathlon bike, dressed in kit to match. Lights change & while the thought of following behind was appealing, I had places to be.

Dude & dudette, if you are so slow that you get left behind by a 95kg, middle aged male on a 14kg flat bar commuter, spend some time in the room of mirrors.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:17 am

cancan64 wrote:The weather in Brisbane has been perfect for commuting
very tough

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:38 am

View from Mowbray Park this Morning

Its enough to make you want to commute to work over the long weekend.....of course once at work that theory changes quickly

“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:27 am

DavidS wrote:
Summernight wrote: Oh, and for anyone that rides Elizabeth Street between Bourke and Little Bourke (heading towards Lonsdale), don't ride anywhere near the edge of the road - one of the drains has a massive pothole on the road side that will bring a cyclist down.
Is that the section with a tram super stop? If so, it is quite narrow and I ride in the middle of the lane as it is safer.
Yup. I also ride in the middle of the lane for safety so it didn't affect me but it did jump out at me as being really dangerous for any riders who hug the gutter. This morning I was daydreaming a bit (more like focusing on the traffic lights and pedestrians) when riding down there so didn't see whether it had been fixed up.

The street lights were back on in Albert St last night, which was good as it wasn't the most fun straining my eyes to try and see in a completely dark street the night before.

My legs felt like lead this morning and I felt really slow. I was thinking it was something bike related but I don't think I can blame the bike for this one. Got caught in the tail end of the rain but otherwise it was a fine ride in, even with the MGIF motorist who was desperately trying to pass me to be first in the right hand lane line at the red light on the corner of Collins and Exhibition. A few wobbles and a bit of a speed up stopped that dangerous thinking by Mr/Ms Impatient.

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:01 am

I tried to give it a real kick yesterday on the way home and despite a number of segment PRs I still didn't crack the 1h20m mark I set in February. I might have to wait for warmer more comfortable weather to set a new record home.

It's really getting darker now towards the end of the journey, I might have to find an alternate route from the lake to Mitchell, the GDE in darkness worries me.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:25 am

TonyMax wrote:It's really getting darker now towards the end of the journey, I might have to find an alternate route from the lake to Mitchell, the GDE in darkness worries me.
Just get some decent lights

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:41 am

Last two afternoon home runs have been affected by the warm weather and school holidays. The sharepath has been chaotic with bikes, peds, scooters, mutts travelling at all different speeds and directions and standing around on the path. Just as well it is nice cruising weather... You rides the paths, you expects interruptions - it's all good, if I want to ride fast I'll have to take my chances with the traffic.

As an example, yesterday there was a little girl, maybe 3, ahead of her parents running the middle of the path while her parents used the full width between them and their pram. Ring the bell, parents split and I ride through the gap, knowing that kids are unpredictable I slowed to a virtual stop before passing carefully. No harm done, only milliseconds lost and on my way again.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Classikbike

Postby Classikbike » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:30 am

Almost crashed this morning with my Commuter MTB, I was just about to ride into a big intersection with many cars and motorbikes behind and in front of me, when suddenly some of the bolts of my Stem (Pro Tharsis) came lose and I totally lost control of my bike (Handlebar flipped downwards). Don't know how I managed to stay on the bike, but is was a close one with a few cars and motorbikes overtaking me at that moment. Stange thing is that just about two weeks ago I tightened these bolts tightly with my allen key.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:10 pm

Aah Tailwind, you had a tailwind on Thursday? Lucky you. That wind on Thursday morning, riding along the beach, was one of the worst I've copped. Very slow trip in.

Summernight, believe me that hole was still there when I went North on Elizabeth on Thursday morning. Looks like the road has collapsed around the drain. I suspect plenty of cars are having trouble with that one, it is one big hole. Thanks for the warning.

DS

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:27 am

I beat the rain this morning. :D

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:54 am

It was very lightly spotting my whole ride in this morning. Not enough to get wet or damp, but pleasantly cool considering it was warmer this morning than the last few weeks. :)

alexander

Postby alexander » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Melburn: 9º Sunny, light SE wind, FTY to CBD, 7:15am

Spent the last 10 days from Easter Friday to yesterday in Noosa, so two things really stood out this morning. The cold, and my lack of fitness.

Ride was ok, except for this
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Brrr, sudden cold snap...6C this morning on my way out the door. Dug out the longs first time this year.

Some idiot managed to roll his/her car on Plenty Rd (just after Childs Rd intersection) this morning, southbound lanes were closed with police in attendance. This is at 4:30am, not much traffic to speak of, two wide, straight lanes for several kms in each direction. How do they do it? No wildlife around that particular spot that I've seen that may have caused them to swerve or veer off the road. :roll:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:23 pm

My ride in this morning was good, although I felt tired. A cyclist in front of me was wearing cycling knicks and a jersey without gloves in the cold. I asked whether he was cold (as I was freezing) and he said he probably should have worn gloves this morning. I told him he was tough, because I certainly would have been complaining like mad and my fingers would have been falling off if I hadn't been wearing full fingered gloves and long leggings.

It is nice to chat to people. :)

sorted

Postby sorted » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:32 pm

Very slow, but the ~20km/h headwind and rain showers might have had something to do with that. Also very quiet. There seemed to be only the hardcore commuters out - a lot of single speeds and wet weather gear.

Re-packed my hub/headset bearings and trued my rear wheel at the weekend so a silky-smooth ride. Looking forward to the tail-wind on the way home.

halfmanhalfbike

Postby halfmanhalfbike » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:18 pm

So glad I invested in a rain pocket jacket. Still freezing though. Time to buy some arm warmers

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:29 pm

Come on Summernight, wasn't that cold this morning. I was in shorts, T Shirt and ventilated vest and was thinking that might be a bit much. Can't stand being too warm!

Very nice riding today, great conditions for the ride home, an afternoon Northerly for once.

DS

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:57 am

Yesterday had the overtalker- fat guy on an old Kona hardtail with racks at Hutton Street- blah blah bloody blah blah about how we should all ditch gps computers and ride naked- there were four others with me- just about ran over each other to get away from this guy when the lights changed- man they took forever to change. People- if you want to chat start with the weather

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:02 am

Well I had a nice chat with Nate this morning. Good to bump into you (not literally! :lol: ) this morning mate :D That's a very nice IGH commuter you have there.

Hmm.. I wonder what I look like on camera? Am I a dork? ;)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:16 am

DavidS wrote:Come on Summernight, wasn't that cold this morning. I was in shorts, T Shirt and ventilated vest and was thinking that might be a bit much. Can't stand being too warm!
:lol:

Hey, I'd just done my morning run and had a lovely warm shower so going back out into the cold was a shock for me. :P
CXCommuter wrote:People- if you want to chat start with the weather
:mrgreen:

One of my back lights didn't want to turn on for the ride home last night. Could be a dead battery. Luckily I run two lights with one being rechargeable so I wasn't a ninja.
Last night was almost a record for the number of cars passed on the way home. Lots of traffic waiting to turn into Hoddle St.

It was warm this morning and it was desperately trying to rain, but wasn't quite doing so. And a bit of a headwind and strong gusts too, just to make things harder.

I had a driver overtake me too closely and then cut back into my lane when I was still beside their passenger door this morning and he then braked to stop at the red traffic light we were approaching, forcing me to yell out and move so he wouldn't hit me. Once again in the two block stretch of Albert St that has no bike lane.

They did it because once I'd disappeared from the front of the car the driver forgot about me and went "Oh, look, I can be at the front of the queue at the red traffic light 10 metres ahead of me in that left lane. Let's go!" Vroom and cyclist forgotten. :roll:

I proceeded to park my bike in front of that same car where I should have been had they not unsafely overtaken me and when the lights changed to green I started off at my usual pace (not trying to slow them down or anything) and moved further right to stop them from doing the same unsafe overtake. As I thought, I got the numbskull female passenger winding down her window and shouting at me to move over... This while they were completely in the right hand lane and safely overtaking me. I shouted back that they needed to learn the road rules. Not that I expect them to ever do so.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:54 am

Only got a few sprinkles this morning. I'm testing out my new Endura overshoes and Gabba jersey in the wet. Hopefully there will be more rain about this evening, although I think most of the rainband will have passed.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0