Starting Racing

bennyvdotcom

Starting Racing

Postby bennyvdotcom » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:45 pm

Hey All,

New to the forum, I want to know about road racing. I've been racing BMX, Downhill and XC for the past many many years. I got a road bike about 2 years ago and I have to say that I'm loving riding road. I've done around the bay 210km in around 7.5 hours and my average floats between 29-31km. I want to know how to get started in road riding, it looks to be more complicated that MTB or BMX where you literally pay and race, no grading and seeding runs. Your input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

foo on patrol

Re: Starting Racing

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:44 pm

For a start, you need to get a racing license first. :wink: Then you can look at clubs and how you want to do things. Good luck and enjoy it. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

bennyvdotcom

Postby bennyvdotcom » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:44 am

thanks for the reply, so to begin with can you just get a day license or is a annual license required?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:09 am

I'm not up to scratch on this anymore but I think you can get either a day or three day one. :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

bennyvdotcom

Postby bennyvdotcom » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:46 am

thanks mate, its tough to find any info in comparisons to other disciplines. I guess its because you ride at specific locations with MTB and BMX when any public road is a playground on a road bike!

baldy1975

Postby baldy1975 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:12 am

http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Have a look here mate. This should help.

toppity

Postby toppity » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:04 pm

finding a club near you that does the type of racing you want is the trick. Once you have done that you can get a 1 or 3 race license usually (as long as you have not held one previously during the year). Give it a go and talk to as many people as you can.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

BillR

Postby BillR » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:18 am

baldy1975 wrote:http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/ Have a look here mate. This should help.
Great link.

From the page go here : http://www.cycling.org.au/Home/Get-Involved/Find-a-Club" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are 35+ then try this : http://www.ausvetcycling.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will most likely give a number of clubs in your area (depending).
I have noticed registration categories/fees can vary.
Ring and have a chat. Find out everything you can and ask for an induction day.

cheers
Bill

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:45 am

just contact a club, they'll sort you out, get out there and with your prior form/experience you might win your first race in J grade - how cool would that be? :D

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu May 08, 2014 10:28 pm

If you do any group rides (ie with mates or local shop ride) ask there, in most group rides there are a few people who race. You can find out about the local club/s, races etc and also they probably suggest a suitable grade.

If you just rock up on the day, the race director or handicapper will look at you and go young, fit rider you will start in C grade (that is how it works in our club, unless another member suggests a grade because they have ridden with you).

It is best to ring or email first, but most times you can rock up on the day with you bike and kit, get a 1 day ($33 I think in WA) or 3 day ($44 I think in WA) licence + race fee and go race.

Nothing complicated about it, you get graded (by recommendation, by looks or by experience), could take 15 seconds or 5 minutes. And you pay and race.

Might not get graded right first time, but in a couple of weeks you will be in the right grade.