The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

ldrcycles

Re: The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:53 pm

I've got a 5 day weekend :mrgreen: . There's a bunch starting at the Alex Surf Club friday 5:30 heading out to Bellthorpe, about a 120km loop. I haven't locked in the rest of the weekend yet but most likely some gravel up north of Kin Kin, Cooloolabin dam, possibly the Obi Obi and there'll be a Noosa Century short course thrown in somewhere :D .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Keen on 3'hunge.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Cooloolabin dam done and dusted :) . It sounds like that Bellthorpe bunch have all nancied out, so i'm thinking of having another crack at smithstreet's Maleny Massacre loop (140kms, Bellthorpe, Postman's Track and Brandenburg).

t-rav

Postby t-rav » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:16 pm

I will be sleeping in in the morning but sat, sun, mon Lachlan? Obi obi from yandina I dunno or I'll ride out to lake McDonald or something

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:55 pm

The bellthorpe loop is back on lol. Alex Surf club at 5:30 or the roundabout at the entrance to Pelican Waters at 6.

I'll have to work out the remainder of the weekend, going to try and cram in as much as possible :D .

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:06 pm

Gonna be up at Noosa tomorrow and Sat night. Doing a loop out to Cootharaba, Pomona, Black Mtn, Cooroy, (Wust Rd to try and better my KOM :D )
100+ ish if you're keen Lachlan. Text if so.
Sunday morning is probably a treadle down to Wild Horse Mtn to watch TGLW do an insane trail run, then back to Brisbland for a quick kip before Amstel Gold. :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:30 am

Finally got out a chance to head towards Kingaham for some recon, definitely a mountain bike ride as while some of the road is beautiful smooth gravel once it starts to climb up to the Jimna plateau the road is incredibly steep (like Postman's Track steep :shock: ) and extremely rough and rocky. There are also 2 shallow but rocky creek crossings, which my wife was not particularly happy about given we were in her Camry :) . We eventually turned back about halfway between Borgan Rd and Kingaham, given the state Bella Creek Rd was in and the fact it is a through road, i cannot imagine Borgan Rd being much chop so we left that for another time and vehicle. Absolutely spectacular scenery though so it will make one hell of a ride.

Took this photo a couple of kms east of Borgan Rd looking east towards Imbil.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:56 am

Mountain bike you say? :P

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:59 am

It MIGHT be possible on a CX but you would want 40+mm tyres just to survive, not to mention incredibly low gearing unless you were happy to do a lot of walking.

EDIT: just did some google map-ing and a loop from Kenilworth up to Imbil, Kingaham to Landcruiser Mountain Park, south to Jimna then east on Sunday Creek Rd back to Kenilworth is 119km.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Image
Mark it down in your calenders. The BNA Weekend Warriors reunite on Sunday May 18th for a ~217km smashfest. Well.... Not really a smashfest.... It's a gentlemans ride. It's about enjoying the ride which cycling is all about rather than panting and struggling to walk after getting off the bike. We'll stick as a group to the bottom of Mt Alford before climbing at your own pace where we will regroup somewhere at the top or at the Mt Alford town. Once regrouped we'll continue on towards Boonah. If some don't want to do the climb up Mt French they can continue the 2km to Boonah to reserve seats for those that do the climb and to have an extra coffee or two. Those that want to do the climb which is ~18km/590m (3km/300m for the climb) http://www.strava.com/routes/255149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from Quarry Street to the top and return will turn off just before Boonah where we will stay as a group until the start of the climb where it will be at your own pace. So if you want to smash it then by all means go for it. As a caution there will be a cattle grid towards the bottom of Mt French from what I recall. I can't remember how far the signage is approaching on the descent but just use common sense. Note where it is on the climb up and don't go descending like the pros. There are a couple lookouts on the top but its a few hundreds to it. It's a gravel path but it's also wheelchair accessible so when were are all there we can see the real condition of what it is actually like and maybe scoot on over to take a few photos overlooking Boonah and the valley below. Once again we will regroup at the top before traveling back to Boonah for...... a large brunch? :P After 'brunch' we'll head up to the lookout that overlooks Fassifern Valley/Boonah (don't worry, it's not really steep) for some instagram/facebook/bragging photos. After our Hugo Boss photoshoot we'll then head back to Ipswich as a group. If the group feels okay and up to it we could also take a little sight seeing detour on the way back. It's an extra 27k/254m however http://www.strava.com/routes/255124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Start: Ipswich Railway Station/McDonalds (opposite the station IIRC). Will get confirmation.
Time: 5.30am
Train: Roma Street Departure: 3.53am/Ipswich Arrival 4.49am
Brisbane to Ipswich Group Ride: King George Square. Time not confirmed
Ipswich to Brisbane Group Ride: After completion of the Warrior ride
Routes: Brisbane-Mt Alford Return http://www.strava.com/routes/230902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; / Ipswich-Mt Alford Return http://www.strava.com/routes/230979" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pelofy: http://www.pelofy.com/ride/42" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just been down that direction on Anzac day, but more off the beaten track and to the west of your proposed direction
Did strike a little bit of dirt which was tolerable on 700x23 tyres.
Corrugations on the corners and the occasional sandy patch did cause some temporary instability :oops:

Your proposed route does not have any dirt roads AFAIK.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:36 pm

Yeah. I'm 99% sure there are no gravel roads. Just on the May ride I'll be departing King George Square at around 3.30-3.40am. That should give plenty of time to meet up with other riders that wish to join in along the route to ride to the start, cover off any roadside issues such as flats/late runners and have a nice comfortable paced ride to the start arriving around 5am.

Closer to the ride I'll update the meeting locations/refined times for riders once there is a rough idea of numbers, where riders are coming from, wanting to join in at this location etc. The route that will be taken from Brisbane to Ipswich: http://www.strava.com/routes/294295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:57 pm

Gorgeous pics elantra, i'm looking forward to that one (assuming i can make it).

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:27 pm

those first two pics of 'gravel' roads are like hotmix compared to the array of terrain we rode south on yesterday!!
Ripley, Undullah, Wyatt and Kilmoylar Rds on the way to Beaudesert.
Trust me, your wrists/elbows and hands will not love your choice of ride!! :shock:

That second pic is smoother than MOST tarmac roads in SE QLD!!! :lol:
Seriously, you could not claim riding on that as an inconvenience. :roll:

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:57 am

Smithstreet wrote:those first two pics of 'gravel' roads are like hotmix compared to the array of terrain we rode south on yesterday!!
Trust me, your wrists/elbows and hands will not love your choice of ride!! :shock:

Yeah for the most part it was pretty tame "dirt"
I was riding with a bloke who reckoned there was "only 6 or 7" km of dirt on this route.
http://www.strava.com/activities/133929199
as it turned out more like "16 or 17 km" dirt.

Pictures do not always tell the complete truth, mostly the straight sections were good but the corners were often corrugated.
Did get one pinch flat, probably could have been avoided with a higher rear tyre (700x23) inflation pressure, but the tradeoff is less adhesion in the out of the saddle climbs, not that there were many of those.
What i did notice was riding back from Rosevale Pub to Rosewood (sealed road) i was passed by numerous cars and some trucks with horse floats. They all gave me plenty of room, which was appreciated.
Rosevale pub was quiet that afternoon, the Anzac day drinkers must have been somewhere else.
I only had one beer before the ride back to Rosewood (approx 30km)

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:04 pm

elantra wrote:
Smithstreet wrote:those first two pics of 'gravel' roads are like hotmix compared to the array of terrain we rode south on yesterday!!

Yeah for the most part it was pretty tame "dirt"
I was riding with a bloke who reckoned there was "only 6 or 7" km of dirt on this route.
http://www.strava.com/activities/133929199
as it turned out more like "16 or 17 km" dirt.

Pictures do not always tell the complete truth, mostly the straight sections were good but the corners were often corrugated.
Did get one pinch flat, probably could have been avoided with a higher rear tyre (700x23) inflation pressure, but the tradeoff is less adhesion in the out of the saddle climbs, not that there were many of those.
What i did notice was riding back from Rosevale Pub to Rosewood (sealed road) i was passed by numerous cars and some trucks with horse floats. They all gave me plenty of room, which was appreciated.
Rosevale pub was quiet that afternoon, the Anzac day drinkers must have been somewhere else.
I only had one beer before the ride back to Rosewood (approx 30km)
Isn't that a great pub at Rosevale?
We called in there just after opening one day on a ride and 'punched one into us' to make the day look better. Have to get back there one day.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:26 pm

So got the chance to do some Sunshine Coast rides over the w/end, had forgotten how nice some of the roads are.
http://www.strava.com/activities/134552523" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.strava.com/activities/134206187" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue May 13, 2014 7:15 pm

Role call. Who is still keen on the ride this weekend?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 13, 2014 10:00 pm

Not 100% but should be there :) .

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue May 13, 2014 11:20 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Role call. Who is still keen on the ride this weekend?
Um would it be acceptable if i join the ride in Harrisville, and continue with you along the route and then drop out where i joined, on the way back?

But not sure yet if i can - depends if i can get leave this sunday.
Will have a better idea by friday.
This part of the ride would be almost 100km, and i would have the car in Harrisville for anyone else who runs out of steam on the return leg. :|

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed May 14, 2014 12:47 pm

I see why not. We should be going past at around what.... 7.35....7.55ish? which should be around a 25-30kph average. Maybe later if there are any punctures/problems along the way/late runners etc. How about we meet at the pub/hotel in town (the one next to the old Boonah Railway line) and jump on as we head thru or join in if we use Harrisville as a water stop?

Water stops/rest points/key marks
KM000: Ipswich: Start
KM021: Rosewood
KM052: Warrill View: Water stop if needed
KM058: Harrisville: Water stop if needed
KM078: Kalbar: Water and food stop before hitting up the climbs of Mt Alford and Mt French
KM087: Start of Mt Alford Climb
KM100: Mt Alford: Water and catch up stop
KM113: Start of Mt French climb
KM121: Mt French: Catch up point
KM131: Boonah: Water, food, regroup and resupply stop (for those that didn't want to climb Mt French and went straight to Boonah).
KM165: Warrill View: Last water stop until Rosewood
KM196: Rosewood
KM217: Ipswich

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 14, 2014 12:59 pm

I'm struggling for permission. The event this morning may not help me

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Wed May 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Lukeyboy,

I'm doubtful as I have a wedding to attend Sat evening. Will depend on what time last drink is consumed and how dusty I am upon waking.

DT

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed May 14, 2014 6:31 pm

No worries Dimma. With the amount that can't make it/unsure I'm thinking of postponing the ride to a later date where we'd have more numbers? Thoughts everyone?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 14, 2014 7:50 pm

found another reason:

and my permission this weekend is still shot

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu May 15, 2014 9:18 am

Ok, rescheduling sounds good. I can't do 24th/25th...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.