Best time for cyclist to visit Brisbane?

Pinarello65

Best time for cyclist to visit Brisbane?

Postby Pinarello65 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:49 pm

When is the best time to visit Brisbane as a cyclist i.e. best riding weather? Just on rainfall stats alone, looks like Aug/Sep are the drier months? Is that right?

I'm in Adelaide, thinking of a holiday up there next year. I'd stay in a cabin somewhere central, ride daily & explore by bike. Thanks.

baarg

Postby baarg » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:54 pm

I'm new to Brisbane but it seems it's pretty dry. Imagine I used to live in Wellington NZ so I had sh*t weather all the time. By experience July/August has been really dry, in fact it only rained once or twice during the month that I recall. Feb/March was really wet this year but I heard it wasn't very common.
Andrea

Pax

Postby Pax » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:54 pm

Ok, I am biased so I recon Bris is good for riding most of the year. :D

Winters are mild by the standards of southern states and the days are fantastic for riding.

Avoid summer if you aren't used to heat and humidity or be prepared for lots of hydration while riding. Also summer is our wet season, though with the drought that has been a bit of a myth for the past few years :( (did get some good rain last summer thank god)

Autumn and spring are fantastic, with autumn having the advantage of no magpies attacking you. Also August to September have beautiful days but can get pretty windy.

Unless you're going to wait until late March of 2009 to avoid the heat, come in Sept or Oct this year. It starts getting pretty hot again by November.

I hope you get up here and have a great time. Let us know how you go!

Pinarello65

Postby Pinarello65 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:47 pm

Thanks Pax. I'm planning ahead for next year, but escaping the cold of winter in Adelaide is very desirable. My rides this month have been in <10c temps and some days up in the hills my powerade turns into a slushie.

So I was thinking maybe 4 weeks in Brisbane, driving up, perhaps find a cabin in a caravan park to call home base, then head out for rides daily to do some exploring. Then do some normal tourist stuff for the rest of the day.

Outside of cycling, I like the arts & cultural type things so would probably see whats on at QPAC. Thus I want to be somewhere that is a good starting point for riding & also not too far to travel to cafe/restaurant strips & the arts centre.

Pax

Postby Pax » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:38 pm

Glad to be of assistance and I expect that you'll get other advice from this forum too, and offers of ride partners closer to the date if you head up here.

Arts are a bit concentrated in Bris, it in the inner city suburbs. Definitely check the Power House at Newfarm not just QPac & the South Bank precinct area. The Valley is great for live music.

We've had a relatively cold winter this year IMO but even then 6 and 7 degrees are the minimum around the city and northside and most days the min is over 10. For those west of the city where it certainly has got down to 1 or 0 on occasion but that isn't typical. The days also warm up pretty quickly will with most days having max in the winter of 20+.

I recon you'll love late March/April/May for temperature and lower humidity, though even March can throw up a warm period. If you are happy to get up a few Ks on the bike there are good rides to do that take in lots of local areas of interest Mt gGllorious, Mt Cootha, Mt Mee, Sunshine and Gold Coasts and hinterland, and if you mix it up with the train and your car you should have a great time.

Having said all of that if there is a festival or arts event that you want to see, come when it is on, we really do have pretty good riding all year, just treat the heat with respect :wink: .

ENJOY! :D

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:32 pm

G'day P65

I recently answered the call af an American tourist and did a few rides with him. He stayed at La Torretta in Brereton St South Brisbane. Walk to Town, South Bank. Right next to West End with loads of food options, markets etc. Central to all scenic road and MTB rides. There are plenty like it though.

There are loads of great road and MTB rides on Brisbane. I love living and riding here.