Heres an idea!

mark field

Heres an idea!

Postby mark field » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:12 am

Just wondering if there would be enough interest to start a thread where everyone uploads their cycle video footage? Their seems to be a bit of interest in bike/car/helmet mounted recording devices lately, and i know forum members often put pics of their outings on this site so how about the video footage? can it be done? Just thought i'd put that idea out there if it hasnt already. cheers
steel is the real deal.

RonK

Re: Heres an idea!

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:18 am

mark field wrote:Just wondering if there would be enough interest to start a thread where everyone uploads their cycle video footage?
You mean...like this one?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mark field

Postby mark field » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:57 pm

No, i mean their own- not someone elses from half way across the world doing 'insane action as never seen before' but more along the lines of " im here in Sydney and here are some of the highlights of the wonderfull bike track i found on the way to......" kind of thing. im not sugesting that 1 hours worth of footage showing one tree and one bird be uploaded- just highlights if there is something interesting. i get sick of the same path to ride and would be interested to see footage of other places and not just be told its here go find it. i want 'from the riders seat' action. :wink:
steel is the real deal.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:04 pm

Mark, you have come back with new enthusiasm!
I have purchased a Garmin Virb Elite and it should arrive in Australia on Sunday.
I bought it mainly to record nice hills rides and downhills.
I wasn't planing to mount it on my retro bikes as the handlebars are the wrong size and handlebar drink bottles are in the way. I could put it on the helmet.

I plan to do more like this one (done with a crappy little camera) and I added my Garmin data with Dashware. The Virb Elite is designed to do this overlay much easier.

I wanted to show my wife and family why I go riding.

koen

Postby koen » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Good idea but I think there is a thread along these lines already in the general area? I uploaded one some time back unless it was the youtube thread above?

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:Mark, you have come back with new enthusiasm!
I have purchased a Garmin Virb Elite and it should arrive in Australia on Sunday.
I wasn't planing to mount it on my retro bikes as the handlebars are the wrong size and handlebar drink bottles are in the way. I could put it on the helmet.

I plan to do more like this one (done with a crappy little camera) and I added my Garmin data with Dashware. The Virb Elite is designed to do this overlay much easier.
[I wanted to show my wife and family why I go riding.
I enjoyed that Clydesdale. Nice one. :)

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:41 am

Clydesdale Scot wrote:Mark, you have come back with new enthusiasm!

I wanted to show my wife and family why I go riding.
now thats what im talking about, nice one.
steel is the real deal.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:51 pm

Cancellara eat ya heart out, by the looks...
CS, what was the bike, what tyres? Love the Advisory Speed Sign (AT) 45; you're doing 58. :D How did you not have a MoronMotorist overtake you? :shock:
No reason not to run a Retro one; nice idea Mark.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:39 am

frailer5 wrote:Cancellara eat ya heart out, by the looks...
CS, what was the bike, what tyres? Love the Advisory Speed Sign (AT) 45; you're doing 58. :D How did you not have a MoronMotorist overtake you? :shock:
No reason not to run a Retro one; nice idea Mark.
the bike was my carbon Scott, with Continental 4000S tyres. At 3m 20sec the road picks up the Tour Down Under decent after the Corkscrew climb.
I was wary of the damp surface, as it happens for good reason; a member of the Adelaide Cyclist forum was on the road the same morning, alone, then went over the side, dislocating both arms, unable to move, unable to phone. All he could do is call out and a nearby resident found him. He has undergone many operations to repair the damage, last one was just before Christmas. OUCH! Read more He writes he went over at 3m 45s into my video (on p4 of the thread)
I have a few other videos, but the obligatory speed limit does not accord with the Garmin recorded speed. :wink:

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:59 pm

three sections of the Adelaide Hills last Sun, on the carbon Scott non retro
Leslie Creek Rd

then the climb up Aldgate Valley Rd

then the descent back to the city

we are spoilt with quality roads in the hills.
More to come.

mark field

Postby mark field » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:56 pm

sweet, if any of that was in Sydney you would have been overtaken and had swinging fists from about 100 irate drivers in a rush to get nowhere fast. not a stop sign in sight. nice one.
steel is the real deal.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi Mark good idea. It's something I've wished the tv coverage of pro races would employ more with the telemetry data on the bottom of the screen like you have done. Can you do an old downhiller a favour and ride down Greenhill road and record that for my dotage? I found it among the best high speed rides into a capital city anywhere in Oz. :wink:

kb

Postby kb » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:01 pm

Hah. Greenhill Rd was my first real descent. Petrified me. Next day I went out and got new brakes :-). Fun times. It's a shame I didn't ride much back then (2001) as we lived for 18 months in Teringie.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:39 pm

Uncle Just, I've been down Greenhill Rd with a earlier camera and had an issue where the indicated speed didn't accord with the mandatory maximum.
Kb, same for a ride down Old Norton Summit Rd, mismatched speeds.
So I might have a leisurely ride down both, ensuring the 60kph is observed. It might make it easier to stop swinging wide on a corner on Greenhill that tightens up too much for me.
Then onto New Norton Summit Rd, Montacute Rd again...
Plenty to do.

When the others I was with arrived at the Tollgate (Crafers to Tollgate) they were a little rattled. It seems a koala had ran across the path between them.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun May 04, 2014 10:23 pm

here is Greenhill Rd, done slowly. The road surface is quite rough and the corners have major ripples to bounce over.

added the cadence track; and no, I don't pedal much, that happens on the way up.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon May 05, 2014 1:49 pm

Thanks CS the vid was a little blurry and I could just make out your speed etc. It is a lovely road nonetheless and I like the way the right handers open up the view to the city and plain below. I've only ridden it about twice when I came over for the TDU but one time a car with trailer moved over for me about 2 kms from the top. He caught me near Portrush road where it flattened out but allowed me to draft him to Anzac Hwy. Happy days.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon May 05, 2014 10:24 pm

Uncle Just wrote: It is a lovely road nonetheless and I like the way the right handers open up the view to the city and plain below.
this is the extract, and better quality- on Vimeo. Make sure you select the view in Vimeo, then HD option, then full screen.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon May 19, 2014 6:56 am

and a favorite, Montacute Rd in the Adelaide Hills
excellent weather and low traffic.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:26 pm

a part of yesterdays ride, only four in the group because of the long weekend.