Lilyfield cycleway changes ?

jd73

Lilyfield cycleway changes ?

Postby jd73 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Any idea what is going on with the cycleway through Lilyfield ? Looks like heading into the city the cycleway has disappeared. Going out of the city it has widened.

Not sure if it is an interim change, permanent or what.

find_bruce

Re: Lilyfield cycleway changes ?

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:52 pm

The council started with Lilyfield hill - widened the bike lane uphill, including a better buffer from parked cars, and figured cyclists go as fast as anyone down the hill.

I don't regularly ride Lilyfield Rd anymore, but does this explain the changes ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Pottsy

Postby Pottsy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:50 pm

The dedicated path is gone going into the city & now just has a bike symbol in the lane.
The lane has been widened as you come out of the city as well. But that lane is now filled with cracks & potholes, So I just avoid it all together & ride on the road.

That whole section of road needs resurfacing. It is shocking.

PS: mind the corner at Denison street. When they scraped off the bike lane there, the council didn't clean it up. So there is some gravel on the road.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:02 pm

Makes good sense! I like.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:42 pm

find_bruce wrote:The council started with Lilyfield hill - widened the bike lane uphill, including a better buffer from parked cars, and figured cyclists go as fast as anyone down the hill.

I don't regularly ride Lilyfield Rd anymore, but does this explain the changes ?
That's pretty well right. They did this first on the hill up from Hawthorne canal, widened the uphill bike lane, shifted the centre line, and took out the downhill bike lane. Cyclists encouraged to "take the lane" downhill, to avoid car doors and motorists poking noses out from side streets. Now extending this philosophy all the way to Victoria Rd. They should also be repairing any holes and cracks. If they dont, report it to Leichhardt Council 9367 9222.

Not entirely consistent, as there is an uphill bit near Lamb St that doesnt have a bike lane, but is only short, and if you take the lane there it should discourage motorists cutting in on the left bend at the crest, where many close shaves before this.

Motorists may take a bit of education to slow down and wait before overtaking or sit behind, as there is a fair bit of double centre line. Cyclists also need to ride out and claim the lane. Might be a few altercations, so watch out until it settles down.

Council wanted to put in speed humps down the hill to the canal, to try to get motorists ,and some cyclists, from exceeding the speed limit (50). 85% -ile speed was 60 on a recent speed count- but they didnt distinguish cars from bikes. But after protests from local cyclists and BNSW they have relented and now will trial a speed display radar. Display cuts out at about 55 I'm told to deter record chasers, but there are a few on Strava.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu May 01, 2014 8:56 am

It has been very good so far, albeit the punctures from the debris.

I dare say the strategy behind it is to deter the rat runners from using lilyfield rd. I've been claiming the lane but not many others. I think riders are still not sure what to do. Lead by example and others will copy!

Motorists have been polite so far, however they insist on crossing double lines to overtake, even on blind corners (we all know how excellent sydney drivers are :lol: )
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

ab012

Postby ab012 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:46 pm

Strawburger wrote:It has been very good so far, albeit the punctures from the debris.

I dare say the strategy behind it is to deter the rat runners from using lilyfield rd. I've been claiming the lane but not many others. I think riders are still not sure what to do. Lead by example and others will copy!

Motorists have been polite so far, however they insist on crossing double lines to overtake, even on blind corners (we all know how excellent sydney drivers are :lol: )
Yes I noticed this too. Unfortunately a fair number of people are hugging the car doors rather then claiming the lane. Hopefully this is just a 'getting use to' phase as it is extremely dangerous to hug the car doors + mixed with the now narrowed road...

Good note on the gravel too. Had a slightly worrying moment the other day due to the gravel (all good, but got me worried for a second). The leftover gravel being on the curves certainly doesn't help :roll:

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri May 02, 2014 4:53 pm

They need to resurface Lilyfield Rd for that downhill section. It's all rippled and is terrible both on a bike as well as in a car. But surface irregularity will invariably cause more issues for cyclists than car drivers.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Fri May 02, 2014 11:10 pm

They seem to have put in some green paint today ;)

ab012

Postby ab012 » Thu May 08, 2014 3:39 pm

Grrr... Still lots of pebbles in the green paint section heading towards city - take care people!