Accommodation recommendations Bourg d'Osains/Alpe d'Huez

Arlberg

Accommodation recommendations Bourg d'Osains/Alpe d'Huez

Postby Arlberg » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:32 pm

I plan to spend a week cycling the Cols around Bourg D' Osains at the base of Alp d'Huez for a week from around 13 July, but I am having trouble finding any type of accommodation at that time, as it seems to be a busy week with the TDF riding through on the 18th July. I would prefer to be closeish to the town centre if possible for convenience sake but it can be a bit further away. Can anyone recommend a B and B or guesthouse etc?

sambo3

Re: Accommodation recommendations Bourg d'Osains/Alpe d'Huez

Postby sambo3 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi Arlberg, you probably have checked it out already but just in case try Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne. I am staying there from the 9th -16th of July.
Plenty of great climbs at your doorstep as well as near enough to do the Alp. Check booking.com and you should be able to get something around there.
I found Bourg D'Osains booked out pretty quickly for that week.

And if you want to catch up for a ride whilst there let me know, perhaps Col Du Galibier?

Any other forums members who are over there at that time and would like to catch up for a spin let me know.

I'm in Annecy from 3rd-9th July

Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne 9th-16th July

Aucun (Pyranees) 19th-26th July

cheers
sambo

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:45 pm

Sambo, you are on a similar schedule to me. I am flying to Geneva 5th July, will be in Annecy 6th-12th July, planning for Bourg d'Osains (or surrounds 12th -19th July) and somewhere around Pau in the Pyranees from the 19th-26th. Then to Bedoin (Mont Ventoux) for 2-3 days before heading back to Geneva to fly back to Sydney on the 31st.

The only confirmed accommodation I have so far is in Annecy. Getting a bit worried about the rest....

Are you riding the Etape? I was going to but I am having second thoughts when I hear that up to 6000 other people have the same idea. I'm not a fan of crowds...

I will certainly get back to you if I find something near Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne, but it looks a bit far away from Alp d'Huez or the Galibier. By the time you ride to the start of each you'll be knackered!

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:19 pm

Yes I am doing Etape, more like 13000 people with the same idea. Spending 16th to 19th in Menton before heading to Aucun.

The Telegraphe Galibier return from Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne is only 94km (half of that down hill). this is from the north side.
The start to the Telegraph is not that far at all from Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne.
If you are knackered getting to the start being that close then don't bother going up!

I have not been there but is seems a great base for a number of climbs in the area;
Galibier/Telegraphe, Glandon, Croix de Fer, Mont Cenis, Madeleine and others.
All riding return distance from base.

Keep looking though around Bourg d'Osains and try Lourdes if you cannot get anything closer to the climbs in the Pyrenees.
There seems to be a fair amount of accommodation there.

Cheers
sambo

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:03 am

I stayed at the following self contained apartment located on the ground floor of a home for one week back in 2011 - http://www.maryzee.fr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Close to the supermarket and the middle of town.

Sorry to say if you haven't booked something already in that time period, then it is going to be hard to find something still available!

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:10 am

For Ventoux I stayed a couple of nights at Les Arcades Le Lion D'or in the village Buis-les-Baronnies. Beautiful old building with courtyard and pool, locked bike storage just outside the front door. Easy enough ride around to Bedoin to start up Ventoux via Bedoin ascent.

99km loop from here http://climbinglama.blogspot.com.au/201 ... ember.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Thu May 01, 2014 9:54 pm

Thanks dalai47 i will check out that place in Ventoux.

Sambo, I managed to get accommodation at '21 Bends' in Bourg d'Osains from 13th-20th July. It seems to be a convenient location in the town centre but I did have to pay a huge premium for the last 4 nights because of the TDF coming through town on that weekend. But I'm just glad to have secured something. If you would still like to meet for a ride in the area during that week I'm sure we can work something out closer to the time.

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:59 pm

That's lucky to find it so late and being TDF week, well done.
I'm there until the 16th in St Jean, so perhaps a climb of the Telegraphe, Galibier on 13th, 14th or 15th if the weather suits on any of those days.

keep updated as we get closer and I will post once I arrive in St Jean and we can get out for a climb.
cheers
sambo

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:04 pm

Arlberg wrote:I managed to get accommodation at '21 Bends' in Bourg d'Osains from 13th-20th July. It seems to be a convenient location in the town centre but I did have to pay a huge premium for the last 4 nights because of the TDF coming through town on that weekend.
Very fortunate! One less thing to worry about... Smaller crowds and everything a lot cheaper was why I chose to go after the summer holidays. But would like to go back one day and see a stage or two.

Enjoy!

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Fri May 02, 2014 7:59 pm

Sambo it wont be the 13th because I arrive that afternoon. 14th or 15th would be the go with perhaps the 15th looking the most likely.

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Sun May 04, 2014 6:25 pm

15th sounds good. Catch up closer to the date
cheers

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu May 29, 2014 10:45 am

Hey guys, How have you sourced bikes over there? Taking them over or picking something up there?
I'm planning on being in Grenoble around the same time 17th-20th. I'm not taking a bike over as I'm on a 'normal' holiday and just hoping for a ride or two around the place. Does anyone have any tips for getting hold of a roadie around that time?
Cheers.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu May 29, 2014 11:30 am

Could try these guys ...

http://www.prompt.cc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhinger ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

kenji44

Postby kenji44 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:53 pm

I don't think they hire bikes but I am sure if you contacted Graeme from http://1330roadcycling.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ( his chalet is located about 1.5 hours drive from Alp d'huez ) he might be able to put you in touch with people near where you are going who do. I am going there for a few days cycling & to watch the end of the Chamrousse 18th July Stage :) can't wait ! but the climbs are going to kill me :)

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:21 pm

Contact the bike shops on this page.

http://bike-oisans.com/en/cycling-oisan ... -bike-shop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:33 pm

Pretty quick search gave me these... You will have to contact each for availability.

Very popular town so really need to book well ahead of time to guarantee a bike.

http://www.aucadrerouge.fr/location.php?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cyclesetsports.com/en/479-bike-hire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Already posted by cyclotaur
http://www.prompt.cc/hire.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:04 pm

Well after a really fantastic 4 week trip to Annecy, Alp d'Huez and Mont Ventoux last year I'm going back in July/August to tick the Pyrenees box.

I am looking for one,( or perhaps two towns/villages/places to stay) that are reasonably close to access all the big TDF climbs and a few lesser known ones. A place (or two) similar to Bourg d'Osains in the Alps. I will be doing day trips to the cols from this 'base' so I will be returning each night rather than riding from one place to the next, and I'd be aiming for round trips of around 100 - 120km or so.

Lourdes seems to be better situated than Pau to the Tourmalet for example. It is also a bit smaller, I'm not a fan of the bigger cities. Any suggestions?

Scott2468

Postby Scott2468 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:07 am

It was mentioned before but I reckon Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne IS the place to be. So many great climbs in every direction.

I know you stated TDF climbs but have you considered Italia? It is only a few hours away and so many legendary climbs. For the big, famous alpes, base in Bormio. For the Dolomites, there are a few options but Corvara is hard to beat.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks, but Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne is in the Alps, and now I am talking about the Pyrenese. I'ts probably better that I start a new thread. As for Italia I will be going in 2016 to climb all the big ones there, keen to have a crack at the Stelvio!
Last edited by Arlberg on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:08 pm

Argeles-Gazost for Col du Soulor, Abisque, and western approaches to Hautacam and Toumalet.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:04 pm

Arlberg wrote:keen to have a crack at the Stelvio!

Prato Allo Stelvio Side

Bormio side

:D :wink:

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:49 pm

Looks awesome dalai47! Both sides look very similar, in fact i had to look twice at each photo to see that they were actually different. Bormio side looks a little greener. Any particular side better than the other?

I might have to go up and over and then back in a 'Double traverse"....

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:02 am

Prato Allo Stelvio side is the more classic ascent. Longer, more hairpins and a clear view of the col an agonisingly steep 5+km before actually making it!

I did the double, but as a loop rather than straight over and back. Did this by returning around 3km down towards Bormio after first summiting that side, then descending into Switzerland via the Passo dell’Umbrail (couple of km on this descent are still unsealed by okay if careful on 23mm tyres). Down through Müstair till Glorenza, then small road across to Prato Allo Stelvio and the second ascent.

I thought it a nice way to ride both sides as I prefer loops to out and backs but others have said i've then missed the fun of descending through the 48 hairpins on that side...

The other amazing loop to do is the Mortirolo and Gavia loop when there. :D

marshmallow

Postby marshmallow » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:59 pm

It's a busy period - you could try this web-site.
http://www.france-voyage.com/bed-breakf ... d%27Oisans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I stayed just outside of Bourg which proved very helpful for Alpe d'Huez, Galibier and Croix de Fer.
I wrote about it here.
http://www.amazon.com.au/baguettes-bicy ... en+herrick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enjoy the trip