Anyone running SRAM xx1 Chainset?

Heff

Anyone running SRAM xx1 Chainset?

Postby Heff » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:02 pm

I've just converted my SS to a 1x10 setup but first outing dropped the chain twice, and it's setup as tight as it can go. So was looking at chain guides, but man they are expensive for what they are. Iv'e done some poking around and apparently the SRAM xx1 Crank is supposed be the bees knees and is designed to eliminate chain drop.

I'm just finding it hard to justify spending a hundy on a piece of plastic to retain the chain, when I could sink that into a new chainset that will do the same thing.

XC rider, so don't need a hard core setup.

Just wanted input if anyone has experience first hand with this crank?
Trails_Niner SIR 9
Commute_Repco Superlite
Weekend_Lynskey_Rouleur
Selling_DeRosa
Waiting For_The Perfect_Koga Miyata

Le Mong

Re: Anyone running SRAM xx1 Chainset?

Postby Le Mong » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:19 pm

Xx chain holding is half chain ring design half rear mech. Wolf tooth do a narrow wide design front ring.

That rear mech are you using?

Heff

Postby Heff » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:39 pm

I'm running Shimano Zee rear mech, so I guess it will be a bit of an experiment, but is is a clutched derailleur so my hunch is that it might work. Worst case is I end up getting the XX1 rear as well.

I've looked into the Wolf stuff, they review well, definitely another option.
Trails_Niner SIR 9
Commute_Repco Superlite
Weekend_Lynskey_Rouleur
Selling_DeRosa

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:44 pm

Heff wrote: Worst case is I end up getting the XX1 rear as well.
You realise that a XX1 RD is not compatible with any other gear? Makes a chainguide decidely good value by comparison.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Heff

Postby Heff » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:54 pm

No I didn't know that. I'm looking at running just the XX1 crankset with the Zee RD at this stage, which I believe has been done successfully.
Just after peoples experiences with the SRAM XX1 Crankset really. Thanks though.
Trails_Niner SIR 9
Commute_Repco Superlite
Weekend_Lynskey_Rouleur
Selling_DeRosa

Heff

Postby Heff » Fri May 02, 2014 12:09 am

After much deliberation, I just pulled the trigger on the crankset, I will keep this thread updated for anyone that's interested in the success (or otherwise) of the SRAM/Shimano drivetrain setup.
Trails_Niner SIR 9
Commute_Repco Superlite
Weekend_Lynskey_Rouleur
Selling_DeRosa

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Fri May 02, 2014 1:15 pm

i run the XX1 crankset on my s/s. the rest of the XX1 setup is specific to that kit, but you can run the XX1 crankset with any gear. i know of another mate who uses the XX1 cranks with a 1x10 geared setup after converting it from s/s.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue May 06, 2014 11:56 am

I have done about 700kms with a Race Face narrow wide chain ring and a non clutched derailluer and I am yet to drop a chain.

The Race Face chainring cost me $50.

Heff

Postby Heff » Sat May 10, 2014 7:32 pm

I appreciate the input from everyone! Took the bike out today, and ran it as hard as I could, no chain drop, and a silent drivetrain, with silky smooth shifting. The 32 up front, with an 11x38 XT cassette, Shimano Zee RD, and KMC 10spd chain worked a treat, and the range is perfect for my regular trails in Adelaide.

Yes, I could of done it cheaper as has been highlighted, but it wasn't about finding the cheapest solution, but instead finding the right one. I'm more than happy with my decision to run this crank.

Trails_Niner SIR 9
Commute_Repco Superlite
Weekend_Lynskey_Rouleur
Selling_DeRosa

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I have done about 700kms with a Race Face narrow wide chain ring and a non clutched derailluer and I am yet to drop a chain.

Wow that's *really* interesting. No chainguide? I'd have thought the clutch rear derailleur would be essential to stop the chain from slapping around and jumping off. Apparently not.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun May 11, 2014 7:06 pm

Heff wrote:I appreciate the input from everyone! Took the bike out today, and ran it as hard as I could, no chain drop, and a silent drivetrain, with silky smooth shifting. The 32 up front, with an 11x38 XT cassette, Shimano Zee RD, and KMC 10spd chain worked a treat, and the range is perfect for my regular trails in Adelaide.

Yes, I could of done it cheaper as has been highlighted, but it wasn't about finding the cheapest solution, but instead finding the right one. I'm more than happy with my decision to run this crank.

Looks good, what's the frame?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Heff

Postby Heff » Sun May 11, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks ldrcycles! The frame is a Niner sir9. I had it setup as a fully rigid SS, which was just not conducive to Adelaide trails (or my ageing knees). Now with the 1x10 and Reba front fork and It is a joy to ride.
Trails_Niner SIR 9
Commute_Repco Superlite
Weekend_Lynskey_Rouleur
Selling_DeRosa

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun May 11, 2014 8:11 pm

I love my 1x9 setup and definitely think 1x setups are the future especially now Shimano has jumped into the market with the new XTR 1x11 which has a 40t granny that fits on a standard freehub body.

I can hear the bells tolling the death of the front derailleur on the dirt.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sun May 11, 2014 8:20 pm

I run 1 x 10 on three bikes now. The duallie has a Wolftooth 30t on an xt triple talking to 11-28 controlled by a wide range Zee. The gravel grinder has a 40t Hope conventional ring on a square taper triple with the rings drilled off talking to 11-32 managed by an X9 medium type 2. And the forthcoming hardtail has a 32t Works Components ring on an slx triple talking to 11-32 managed by an xt shadow+ medium. The hardtail was going to get a 36t race face narrow wide ring off the previous ht but the short stays on the new frame mean the sodding thing won't fit...

None of them even the Hope have ever jumped the chain and none of them have a guide. They are the ducks nuts!!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun May 11, 2014 9:06 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:I have done about 700kms with a Race Face narrow wide chain ring and a non clutched derailluer and I am yet to drop a chain.

Wow that's *really* interesting. No chainguide? I'd have thought the clutch rear derailleur would be essential to stop the chain from slapping around and jumping off. Apparently not.
I have been trying to make it come off with no luck.

My Zee wide range has arrived now so I will fit it soon.

Heff

Postby Heff » Sun May 11, 2014 11:06 pm

Mugglechops and silentbutdeadly you need to get off the groomed single track ; )
Trails_Niner SIR 9
Commute_Repco Superlite
Weekend_Lynskey_Rouleur
Selling_DeRosa

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon May 12, 2014 7:30 pm

Heff wrote:Mugglechops and silentbutdeadly you need to get off the groomed single track ; )
I only ride on bike paths :lol:

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue May 13, 2014 10:58 am

Heff wrote:Mugglechops and silentbutdeadly you need to get off the groomed single track ; )
:lol: Not much of that around here. It's mostly grey cracking clay and red sand. But our track does have a nasty chain slap section known as 'Lenny's Logs' which is made of treated pine posts and more than a few sharp log jumps and despite my best efforts...no lost chains. Yet. Must try harder. :?
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle