South Bank - Thurs or Friday mornings ??

CoffeeNut

South Bank - Thurs or Friday mornings ??

Postby CoffeeNut » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:46 am

Any bunch rides from city or southbank area on Thu or Fri ???
I'll be down and looking for a bunch to join.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:25 pm

Have a look here, late on Wednesday and Thursday and phone Victor Cycles, Cycleogical and Lifecycles. They will have rides going from South Brisbane or Milton, which is not far away.

Are you planning to ride Saturday?

CoffeeNut

Postby CoffeeNut » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:21 pm

I'll be back up the hill (Toowoomba) for my usual (and favourite) Saturday ride.

Did the Barton to Mt Glorious ride the other day - what a magnificent ride.

What is your usual Sat ride MountGower ??

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:11 pm

Look at my post half way down the page in this thread. There are three links to fairly flat rides. I usually ride about 140km on Saturday morning. In addition I like Mt Nebo if I am short of time or maybe somewhere afterwards and Mt Mee is good. If I have commitments on Saturday I can leave home at 5am and be back from Nebo by 8.30am.

I also do long rides in the Brisbane Forest Park on my MTB. I leave the Gap Ck Reserve Car Park at 5am returning at around midday or 1pm. I love it in there.

I am committed to the road bike now until I start getting attacked by Magpies, then I'm trail bound until it's over, or until I can drag myself away from the BFP and the like.

Liking both is a big problem. You have to learn to decide what mode your in and just forget about the other bike until your plans say it's time to swap over.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:56 am

Not much riding out there today, CoffeeNut. Try the Valley Baths in Wickam St.

baarg

Postby baarg » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:17 pm

"I am committed to the road bike now until I start getting attacked by Magpies"

I thought I was the only one! on Saturday I was riding along Beaudesert Rd and felt something hit me...I'm like Say What? and saw this bird in the corner of my eye and it attacked me again! It was indeed a magpie! Good I didn't lose my sense of balance there!

Andrea

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:31 am

Remeber that if you think the magpi is a real threat to contact the EPA about it.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:02 pm

Baarg

I rode down Beaudesert Rd on Saturday. I encountered one at Acacia Ridge near Bradman St and another at Parkinson. I hit the back roads at Greenbank coming out on the Beaudesert-Boonah Rd at Bromelton. Didn't get swooped again until outside a truck company approaching Peaks Crossing. One thing I noticed was that when your away from traffic and population, they are not interested in the least. As soon as you are in a heavy traffic or populous area they fire up.

I had cable ties in my helmet which took care of the problematic ones. By the time I was heading home via Ipswich I was confident enough not to spare them a second thought, even when they were on the attack.

I will still hit the bush next week probably. Not sure.

baarg

Postby baarg » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:52 pm

Donald - wouldn't want to report magpies, humans are more intrusive than any other animal on the planet, they are just defending their nests and we humans have a bad reputation I guess so in a way I understand. I just didn't think it was common to get attacked by them on the bike that's all. Then I read through the forums and it's a lot more common than I expected!
MountGower - Ha! Now I know what those things sticking out people's helmets are for! :twisted: I guess they'd think twice before attacking you! Does it hurt them though?
I think in Parkinson it had to be the same magpie that attacked me. I was coming from Algester Rd and turned onto Beaudesert Rd, you know the Beaudesert, algester rd/illawena intersection. I think that's Parkinson territory... (?)

Anyway, I avoided that area yesterday but I'm sure I'll be attacked somewhere else!

Andrea

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:24 pm

Andrea

Intrestingly they all have their differences. That magpie attacks directly from the rear and hits the top of the helmet. The only real threat from it is the damage to the top of the helmet. Obviously enough, I accept no resposibility for the loss of eyes resulting from those comments.

To answer your question, no, the cable ties don't hurt the birds as they abort their mission before bieng struck by them.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:10 am

MountGower wrote:Baarg

I rode down Beaudesert Rd on Saturday. I encountered one at Acacia Ridge near Bradman St.
I live in that area - I noticed a sign on Beaudesert Rd the other day warning that there were nesting birds in the area..... I did wonder if anyone had been hit yet.....
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!