New to SS need some advice please.

Dave R32

New to SS need some advice please.

Postby Dave R32 » Fri May 02, 2014 6:46 pm

Hi guys,

I have just purchased my first SS bike in over 30 years and would like your advice.

The bike is as below (purchased from a forum member)
ImageUntitled by DGE898, on Flickr

I would like to upgrade the crankset, BB and freewheel as they are all pretty entry level stuff and I think the chainline is out a bit.

I am looking at buying a set of Sugino RD2 cranks as below
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/sugin ... rank-c/RD2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With a Sugino 68x103 BB
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/sugin ... 1/CBBF-103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a new freewheel
http://www.velogear.com.au/bike-parts/f ... click.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently I have measured the chainline at the front at approx 50mm while the rear is 45mm which could explain a noise I am getting. Even after pulling everything apart including removing the BB (cheap Sunrace 68 x 111) and cleaning, regreasing everything and re-assembling.

Are the above parts compatible with each other and am I am right in thinking that the 103mm axle BB will bring my front chainline back to 45mm as per the rear.

Later I am planning on replacing the seatpost, stem and bars with Ritchey Classic parts.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

HLC

Re: New to SS need some advice please.

Postby HLC » Sat May 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Honestly, the cranks/BB that you have selected are not a real improvement over the stock items.

The freewheel, i don't know anything about that brand/model. But the best freewheels you can buy are made by White Industries - they are a bit dearer than that.

All depends on your budget though.

If you want a better spec crankset, i'd look at Miche Pr1mato / BB as a step up... or you could go for something like a SRAM Omnium for about $270 with BB.

Then there is next level up, like your Dura-Ace 7600/7610, Sugino 75 & Campag Record Pista.

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Sat May 03, 2014 5:47 pm

HLC wrote:Honestly, the cranks/BB that you have selected are not a real improvement over the stock items.

The freewheel, i don't know anything about that brand/model. But the best freewheels you can buy are made by White Industries - they are a bit dearer than that.

If you want a better spec crankset, i'd look at Miche Pr1mato / BB as a step up... or you could go for something like a SRAM Omnium for about $270 with BB.

Then there is next level up, like your Dura-Ace 7600/7610, Sugino 75 & Campag Record Pista.
Thanks for the reply, I was steering away from the Miche combo based on reading comments about them coming loose ?

I have seen the WI freewheel, very nice as are their hubs.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

HLC

Postby HLC » Sat May 03, 2014 6:19 pm

Dave R32 wrote:
HLC wrote:Honestly, the cranks/BB that you have selected are not a real improvement over the stock items.

Thanks for the reply, I was steering away from the Miche combo based on reading comments about them coming loose ?

I have seen the WI freewheel, very nice as are their hubs.

Cheers
Dave.
As long as you install the Miche cups properly, torqued up to spec, (a drop of loctite doesn't hurt either) you'll have no dramas. Have used and worked on plenty of bikes using the Miche set up with no dramas.

I've just put a heap of Sram gear together and rate the Omniums. Spin almost as well as my bike with DA 7600, and my other bike with Record Pista.

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Sat May 03, 2014 6:22 pm

HLC wrote:
As long as you install the Miche cups properly, torqued up to spec, (a drop of loctite doesn't hurt either) you'll have no dramas. Have used and worked on plenty of bikes using the Miche set up with no dramas.

I've just put a heap of Sram gear together and rate the Omniums. Spin almost as well as my bike with DA 7600, and my other bike with Record Pista.
I must admit I like the prospect of GXP BB....will do some searching for pricing.

I would love DA or Record but I feel I these would be worth more than the frame !

Cheers
Dave.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu May 08, 2014 11:08 am

+1 on HLCs advice, im running miche and have no issues.

But if i had the cash, id defo go SRAM and WI.