Yorkshire prepares for Invasion: TDF

PomBike

Yorkshire prepares for Invasion: TDF

Postby PomBike » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:08 am

Article;

[REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Admin Says: This is a discussion thread and not a relentless promotional website for external websites.

Red Rider

Re: Yorkshire prepares for Invasion: TDF

Postby Red Rider » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:41 am

I was in Swaledale in June last year, they were already pretty pumped about it. The road is quite narrow with stone wall fencing, the towns are small, I guess there is going to be a lot of camping on farm land. It will be crazy. Beautiful place to ride.

PomBike

Postby PomBike » Fri May 02, 2014 8:40 pm

It will be crazy at the start and finish an in the fan parks. The Yorkshire routes though give lots of good viewing opportunities and there are several places where you should easily be able to get two viewing points as the first day route is broadly a big arc. That's my plan anyway. I would have reservations about heading into Leeds but others may say different...

[REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Admin Says: This is a discussion thread and not a relentless promotional website for external websites.

PommieYeti

Postby PommieYeti » Sat May 03, 2014 8:16 pm

I am heading to see the start in Leeds city center that way i can nip across to see the finish also in Harrogate, otherwise i was going to see them come up the Buttertubs Pass. Day 2 seeing them off from York then heading straight down to see them in London for the next stage them back up north to visit my parents 3 days after arriving in the uk :oops: (would have liked to go across the channel but i better see my parents :D )
and look what arrived from my wife last week, she ordered it in feb (she was told it wouldnt arrive till now) a nice surprise

My Wifes blog http://kiristraveltales.wordpress.com/2 ... a-new-car/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PomBike

Postby PomBike » Tue May 06, 2014 9:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz78yBOH_y4

You might want to catch this geezer.
He's not the best presenter...
Thought he was a bit out of puff but then at the end you can see he's running.
[SPAM LINK REMOVED]

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue May 06, 2014 9:18 pm

So I guess you'll have to be vacating your shoeboxes on the road along the stage route?

PomBike

Postby PomBike » Fri May 09, 2014 5:54 pm

'Aye Up Love Duck' Tour de France guides banned from using Yorkshire greetings;

[SPAM LINK REMOVED]

PommieYeti

Postby PommieYeti » Fri May 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Hope they come across better motorists than this if they happen to be riding about York :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgWwbZ0fG5Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Wifes blog http://kiristraveltales.wordpress.com/2 ... a-new-car/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PomBike

Postby PomBike » Fri May 09, 2014 11:37 pm

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat May 17, 2014 5:45 pm

Ouch! I have done a similar trick with a yoga mat :oops: I did a full somersault and landed on my bag luckily. Injured my pride more than anything.

I recommend the Dales Bike Centre in Fremington, great bikes for hire, great café, knowledgeable staff.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon May 19, 2014 12:16 pm

I'm going nuts just wishing I could be there. In my younger days I cycle toured all over Yorkshire and surrounding areas for 5 weeks. Loved it.

And my sister in law&family lives in one of the yorkshire towns the tour is passing through!!!!!! Nyaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :cry:

PomBike

Postby PomBike » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:40 pm

Tale of TdF Preparation for Stage 1 and Stage 1 Le Grande Departe

I arrived in Yorkshire last Thursday. Checked out a bit of the route fore and aft Ripon.

ooo intt t posh in Ripon.
Actually I have been before!
Wasn't a lot of obvious activity. Parking my bike in the town square (just off the route) and having a cup of coffee you would kinda think they don't see a bike that often.. :shock:

Could take some time out today might go and try the Cote de Griton Moor...

There's a whole lot of bikes up there........

Reeth looking sooooo busy now. Bikes, 4 by 4's, caravans its fookin chaos.... :shock:

Up at sparrow fart and ready for some cycling....
:) :) :) Pouring with rain :x . This will soon pass I reckon. Still finalising route plans. Looks like you can't get from Harewood into Harrogate directly the A61 seems to be closed from the river Wharfe...

Was in Harewood by 9.00am... caravan slow to arrive.
A61 was open to cyclists and was like the biggest sportif you've ever seen - just 7 miles to get to the Fan Park in Harrogate.
Fan Park was a mixed bag. Seemed to be lots of people in corporate hospitality who had paid £150 a piece to stand at a bar :? :? .
Took up position at the finish about 1.5 hours in advance. It was packed. Treated to a sight of David Cameron, David Beckham and Geoff Boycott.. great. I'm so glad they had good seats.
Then we get a full pack of Royals. Kate, William and Harry and loads of other hangers on.
Could I see anyone go over the line.... could I fook. I have never seen people so tall and with such long arms who took up the first 11 rows :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Great day though.

PomBike

Postby PomBike » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Scenes from outside Harewood House

Harrogate

Kate Middleton is in the green dress.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:02 pm

I think you need some bigger pictures, personally.
/sarcasm

to invoke the Monty Gods

"when I was lad.. we were grateful for computer pictures with no more than 320 x 200 resolution... 16 colours!? Luxury!"
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:01 pm

Some great photos at Buzzfeed

Ilkley

Muker

Buttertubs Pass

Haworth