What backpack?

bigbuzz73

What backpack?

Postby bigbuzz73 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:17 pm

Hi guys,
Now I'm starting to do longer trips I'm getting some upper back/neck/shoulder pain from carrying a backpack.
I carry a relatively heavy load and the problem is worse on my road bike than on the MTB, I assume to the crouched riding position.
I've done some research on the 'net and discovered that some of the better brands, such as Deuter, manufacture cycling-specific backpacks. They aren't cheap so I need to justify the expense.
Anyone here have experience with these backpacks? Are they significantly better for a cyclist than a good quality general purpose backpack?
Any comments much appreciated.
Regards, Wayne

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:24 pm

I use a mountain design back pack on a racer and often carry loads that are heavier than the bike.

While recommending that you get a good bag that suits you, the problem may be other than the bag, such as;
- The weight not being distributed well
- Your back not being strong enough to carry the weight
- Your riding position.

I would of thought that the racer would of been easier to carry the back pack, as the weight would be distributed more accross the body, rather than mainly to the shoulders.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

seddo

Postby seddo » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:46 pm

Hi gents - any weblinks to either of these packs

cheers
Seddo

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:30 am

Sounds like a rack mounted pannier is in order.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:51 am

What sort of stuff are you carrying, and how far Buzz?

I've carried heavy weights long distance with comfort in a very old Tioga pack, or there's the Deuter wet pack that's good for the ride only, little space beyond a spare tube or two, wet weather gear, wallet, keys and a feed. My work pack is just bulky, lots of space, tho' my commute ride is less than 10k so comfort isn't a drama. (but the sweat stripes on the shoulders aren't pretty)

Don't forget to consider a pannier, they do make a difference to handling with the weight lower down, you could just occy strap your bag to a KMart rack as well if your bikes have rack mounts. There's also the evergreen courier bag to check out too, look at Crumpler or Tatonka.

I'd let Bicyclewa and Europa have a think too, they're both big on carrying stuff about.

Shaun

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:11 am

seddo wrote:Hi gents - any weblinks to either of these packs

cheers
Seddo
Try the mountain design web site.

The quality of the straps makes a big difference to the confort of carrying. I get 4 years of continious use out of my Mountain Design laptop backpack and some times it serously loaded with plenty of stuff hanging off the outside. Pretty good value for something like $130.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

bigbuzz73

Backpack

Postby bigbuzz73 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:04 pm

Thanks for your responses guys. Much appreciated. I have a good quality set of panniers (Deuter) mounted on a seat post rack that I occasionally use on my mountain bike. I couldn't bring myself to put them on my new Bianchi (I'm such a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!!!!! :roll: ) so will persevere with the backpack.
My commute is about 25 klm each way some days and 10 klms other days (I work in a couple of different locations). I carry shoes, towel, toiletries, jacket, work clothes, and lunch, so there's a fair amount of weight. My current backpack is a Berghaus but thought one made specifically for cycling would be designed to distribute the load better.
Wayne

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:20 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I'd let Bicyclewa and Europa have a think too, they're both big on carrying stuff about.
Quite frankly, I can't see why anyone chooses to carry stuff around on their back. Sure, anyone can get caught out occasionally, but ...

The industry promotes this nonsense about every bike must be a race replica. Well, I can't see why even carbon frames can not be designed to carry commuting typical weights, and that is actually a fair bit - you stuff a laptop and some serious paper work into a pair of panniers and there's quite a bit of weight. I saw a bloke riding to work today with a humungous pack on his back and no, despite a flat back from the bars being down around his ankles, he didn't look comfortable or happy.

And if someone wants a top end bike, or mid end, or even low end bike for their training, why should they be forced to carry a ton of gear on their back? Fair enough if they choose to, like Mike does, but why should fashion and industry laziness (for that's all it is) dictate this?

I'm sure the carbon fans will come on saying you can't fit carriers to carbon bikes. Well, the ONLY reason any carbon fibre bike can not carry a load via panniers, is a lack of industry desire to design the frame to take a rack. There's nothing to force a rider to fit a rack if the mounting points are there, and anyone who tries to claim it would add too much weight to a frame is fooling themselves.

I feel for those of you who need or desire a racing bike.

Personally, I knew I would need to carry stuff. No, I don't tour, though I may one day, but I do carry stuff from time to time. Most of my rides are done with a bare carrier, but for those trips where I do need to carry a couple of DVDs, a week's visit to the library from my family of three (we max out most weeks :D), need to carry the computer and/or a heap of paper work, my carrier pays for its dorkish look and the miniscule weight of the carrier and attachment points. Just one of the many issues in choosing the steed I did.

No, this isn't picking on Wayne or anyone else, but the industry, once again, deserves a kick up the dyke. But hey, what else is new.

Richard

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:29 pm

There are people meeting the "bike that hauls" niche, just not in your average bike shop. There's the Xtracycle kits, the Surly Long Haul Trucker & Cross Check, being advertised more & more in magazines, other touring bikes, Mongoose Radonneur, etc...

But if you're going to spend your dough on a high end lightweight bike do you really want spoil it by adding a couple of kilos of racks & luggage? If you carry stuff on the shiny bike only small amounts or infrequently, why not use a backpack?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Backpack

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:48 pm

bigbuzz73 wrote:Thanks for your responses guys. Much appreciated. I have a good quality set of panniers (Deuter) mounted on a seat post rack that I occasionally use on my mountain bike. I couldn't bring myself to put them on my new Bianchi (I'm such a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!!!!! :roll: ) so will persevere with the backpack.
My commute is about 25 klm each way some days and 10 klms other days (I work in a couple of different locations). I carry shoes, towel, toiletries, jacket, work clothes, and lunch, so there's a fair amount of weight. My current backpack is a Berghaus but thought one made specifically for cycling would be designed to distribute the load better.
Wayne
Big Buzz, your commute and carry weight are quite normal. Others are carrying a laptop as well as your list. It does sounds like the issue may be that its not the right bag for you personally.

For me, the straps, padding and shape of the bag make carrying a load so much easier than when I was using cheaper bags.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:37 am

You could consider a BOB trailer for heavy loads. You can tow one of these behind anything. Probably a bit of overkill though.

Racks and panniers is the easiest way to go and I second Richard's comments about the industry and it's lack of mounting holes for racks.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:55 am

I have some sort of explaination of why you may be getting a sure back. I ride with a back pack everywhere. Anyway I notice that if i have something in my backpack that is the first item against my back is like a hard book and trying to push my back straight i have pains within 5 mins.

Just a possible cause
Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

bigbuzz73

Backpack

Postby bigbuzz73 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:05 am

Thanks for the info guys.
I think Mikesbytes has answered my question... I probably just don't have the correct pack for my usage. I think I'll buy one of the cycling specific backpacks. Thanks for everyone's input.
Wayne

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:22 pm

Mike, how waterproof is your pack? DO you carry a garbage bag in case of rain or wear it underneath a jacket?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:29 pm

gururug wrote:Mike, how waterproof is your pack? DO you carry a garbage bag in case of rain or wear it underneath a jacket?
It's suppose to be rain proof, but its not, water can still get in thru the zips. Its not too bad. I doubt that there are any bags out there that are 100% perfect.

Some bags have an overbag that can help with water resistance, if you are concerned.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage