A quick pedal query

tuco

A quick pedal query

Postby tuco » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:04 pm

A quick pedal question -

We're about to go clipless.

The Shimano - PD-R540 - SPD-SL should do the job?

The shoes we're looking at are Shimano so I shouldn't imagine they'll be a problem.

Cellbikes have them at $69 (I assume that's a pair) and only $7 postage which is far cheaper than around town.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:46 pm

Torpedo7 usually have some good pedal / shoe specials, but they seem to be missing at the moment. I did see thesepedals, which would be a direct equivalent to the Shimano's. The CecilWalkersite also has some shoe / pedal packages on offer. You would have to annoy your lbs and get the right shoe fitting, because I've found that manufactuers' sizing charts only tell a small part of the sory.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:25 pm

Shimano 3 hole shoes will take cleats from most of the brands, look, time, spd-sl's, speedplay

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:44 pm

LuckyPierre wrote: . . You would have to annoy your lbs and get the right shoe fitting, because I've found that manufactuers' sizing charts only tell a small part of the story.
Here lies the problem. I haven't found any to fit me here in town. There was a mountain bike looking pair but that's it. All we get is the, "We're getting more stock in soon." story.

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:56 pm

That will teach you to live in a hick town, unlike Canberra.... hang on - none of the shops here have a decent stock range either :x

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:12 pm

MJF wrote:That will teach you to live in a hick town, unlike Canberra.... hang on - none of the shops here have a decent stock range either :x
Aaaaahhhhhh, but who's hick town has a beautiful warm average 26C in winter. I'll go out on a limb and say mine. :wink:

It must be hard for small LBS to hold a lot of stock. It's so expensive. I find it hard to believe I could buy a couple of family cars with what I have in stock in my store.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:11 pm

I have been shopping for a new set of shoes too. I use Time pedals and currently have some basic shoes (diadora) but want something better, but not the full carbon soled ones that sell for around $400. So, something about $250 ish.

Anyway, all the shops I've been to have cheap ones, and expensive ones!! I wonder if they are "pushing" me to expensive ones? And yes, the SIDI hand made carbon jobs did fit like gloves...but the price made me fall over!!

I feel your pain Tuco. I have common sized 41s in the Diadora's, and the shimanos in the same size made me walk like a hobbit. Why is shoe shopping so difficult?!

Moo...

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:17 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I have been shopping for a new set of shoes too. I use Time pedals and currently have some basic shoes (diadora) but want something better, but not the full carbon soled ones that sell for around $400. So, something about $250 ish.

Anyway, all the shops I've been to have cheap ones, and expensive ones!! I wonder if they are "pushing" me to expensive ones? And yes, the SIDI hand made carbon jobs did fit like gloves...but the price made me fall over!!

I feel your pain Tuco. I have common sized 41s in the Diadora's, and the shimanos in the same size made me walk like a hobbit. Why is shoe shopping so difficult?!

Moo...
But aren't women suppose to like shoe shopping? :wink:

Bugger, only tried them on yesterday and I forget my size. I think it was 46. I remember it had an 11 on he box.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:56 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Anyway, all the shops I've been to have cheap ones, and expensive ones!! I wonder if they are "pushing" me to expensive ones? And yes, the SIDI hand made carbon jobs did fit like gloves...but the price made me fall over!!
I have some Exustar SR 202's carbon-soled shoes that look like Sidi's that are mid-range (still lots, I think) in price. I like them - even if I do have to tape up their under-foot vents during winter!
Last edited by LuckyPierre on Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:11 pm

tuco wrote:Aaaaahhhhhh, but who's hick town has a beautiful warm average 26C in winter. I'll go out on a limb and say mine. :wink:
And get drenched by 7 days of continuous cyclonic rain! :D
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:14 pm

moosterbounce wrote:And yes, the SIDI hand made carbon jobs did fit like gloves...but the price made me fall over!!
The common justification for Sidi is that they last and last for years. That may not be a good thing for some, but for others, it's enough to invest and get comfy for years to come.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:23 pm

Knowing nothing about road pedals or shoes except the duck walk :? , I'll just say this, try a similar brand on if possible Tuco. I can't wear Shimano MTB shoes as I find they are too low? across the instep. Most of the Italian brands seem to be rather narrow.

Going clipless is a real rite of passage. I'm sure you will enjoy the transition, the extra power and control is worth every cent, (and possible stick stack early on :wink: ) Just remember to back the pedal tension off a bit till you learn the skill.

Good luck mate

Shaun

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:36 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I have been shopping for a new set of shoes too. I use Time pedals and currently have some basic shoes (diadora) but want something better, but not the full carbon soled ones that sell for around $400. So, something about $250 ish.

Moo...
Proabably harder for a female to get bike shoes as the male ones would be too wide.

With the Diadora's I don't recommend the leather ones, as they will stretch when they get wet. 100% synthetic is the way to go.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:39 pm

I have a wide foot (well both feet are wide, not just one) and the lbs guy suggested triathlon road bike shoes.

He only had two pairs to try on and one was too big and the other I couldn't even get my toes in and they were only one size difference!

I'm hoping to be clipless before the next time trial in two weeks. I have a straps time to compare to over the same distance and course.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:21 pm

Good idea, I'd like to hear some results.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:21 pm

tuco wrote:I have a wide foot (well both feet are wide, not just one) and the lbs guy suggested triathlon road bike shoes.
A know that Sidi has a special series for people with wide feet. I am sure other brands have similar too. Suggest that you check them out. Don't compromise with those tri shoes, you'll be seriously disappointed as the strapping just aren't in the same league as proper cycling shoes.

rider06

Postby rider06 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:24 pm

don't know about road shoes, but it took me a while to find a pair of mtb shoes to fit me (another of the wide footed brigade) - whilst i couldn't even get near a shimano size 47, the specialized fit perfectly & super comfy, hopefully for you their road shoes might be the same...

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:57 pm

tuco wrote:But aren't women suppose to like shoe shopping? :wink:
Yeah well, I wasn't born with the shopping gene - unless it is something sport related and then I go crazy (just ask my husband!! :oops: ). I could live with it if there was the range in stores, but each store I go into makes me feel that I'd be compromising. I too have broad feet (for a chick!!) so am better in men's shoes - I feel sorry for women that need to be in a women's specific shoe as 2 of the four stores I've been in so far haven't had any!!

I should go into business!! If I ever do, I'll make sure I stock something to fit you Tuco...despite that comment 8)

Moo...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:15 pm

tuco wrote:I have a wide foot (well both feet are wide, not just one) and the lbs guy suggested triathlon road bike shoes.

He only had two pairs to try on and one was too big and the other I couldn't even get my toes in and they were only one size difference!

I'm hoping to be clipless before the next time trial in two weeks. I have a straps time to compare to over the same distance and course.
I have Shimano SH-R151 and they have a wide toe box, worth trying if you can get them local. Other Shimano's are narrower.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:36 am

sogood wrote:
A know that Sidi has a special series for people with wide feet. I am sure other brands have similar too. Suggest that you check them out. Don't compromise with those tri shoes, you'll be seriously disappointed as the strapping just aren't in the same league as proper cycling shoes.
Was having a browse at a LBS the other day and got talking about bike shoes for wide feet, and was also pointed in the SIDI direction. Funnily they had some on special for $355, normally $415.

I'll wait a bit and save me thinks...

tuco

Postby tuco » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:38 am

MichaelB wrote:
sogood wrote:
Was having a browse at a LBS the other day and got talking about bike shoes for wide feet, and was also pointed in the SIDI direction. Funnily they had some on special for $355, normally $415.

Did they throw in a free bike at that price :shock:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:03 am

ImageFor that sort of money, I'd want to be pedalling off into the sunset wearing them Image

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:03 am

tuco wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
sogood wrote: A know that Sidi has a special series for people with wide feet. I am sure other brands have similar too. Suggest that you check them out. Don't compromise with those tri shoes, you'll be seriously disappointed as the strapping just aren't in the same league as proper cycling shoes.

Nope, but they have some nice gear. The cheapest road bike in the shop is one that is reduced to $2899 !!!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:03 am

tuco wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
sogood wrote: A know that Sidi has a special series for people with wide feet. I am sure other brands have similar too. Suggest that you check them out. Don't compromise with those tri shoes, you'll be seriously disappointed as the strapping just aren't in the same league as proper cycling shoes.

Its the old case of getting what you pay for. The Sidi's are one of the best, as is a Merc or a Ferrai

The Shimano RH-151's are $210 in Sydney.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:17 am

My issue is wide feet as well. I have some cheap diadors's to start off with ($40 !!) that will prove to me whether it is worth spending more on some better/better fitting shoes, but at the moment, I am not that fussed or cashed up.

Just concentrating on building up the kay's on the old bike before I get the new one. However, the tax man has strangely given me an unexpected deposit in my bank account that may allow me to pick up the bike earlier :shock: