Winter touring/cycling gloves...

Wingnut

Winter touring/cycling gloves...

Postby Wingnut » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Just wondering if anyone can recommend any reasonable priced winter gloves?

The ones from Ground Effect look good for the price but I presume there will be others who can recommend something else from experience?

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product/ACC/CHI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

il padrone

Re: Winter touring/cycling gloves...

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:59 pm

I've used the Ground Effect winter gloves for many years, and have used two pairs. But I bught some of the current design two years ago for my wife and on some cold winter rides she complained that her hands were cold, while mine in the old design were not. Don't know whether they have reduced the insulation material quality or what.

Sibe then I have bought some Altura Night Vision gloves and they have been very good. They do seem very waterproof as well.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

snafuspyramid

Postby snafuspyramid » Fri May 09, 2014 6:02 pm

The gloves you need - in particular the weight and quality of insulation - depends upon your highly individual tolerance for having cold extremities. What Il Padrone discovered is unlikely to be any significant difference in glove design but rather his wife's need for warmer gloves than his. I have found lightweight 'liner' gloves adequate for everything but very bitter cold whereas one of my sisters needs Arctic-exploration style mitts for anything even slightly nippy, to take an extreme example.

Which is not terribly useful advice, of course, but it does go to the fact that my ideal gloves probably aren't yours. Once you have a rough idea what you need your choice might be a bit easier.

I would also suggest you steer clear of waterproof gloves (those containing a membrane). They don't work well at all for cycling, in my opinion.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri May 09, 2014 6:53 pm

I kinda doubt that. She has been very happy with the Altura gloves, and I have found them fine as well, not over-heating in them. They are waterproof and breathable and I've found them good in rain and not subject to sauna conditions. I wore them riding to work these past two cold mornings in Melbourne, and wore them almost all day last Sunday up at Woodend and Trentham.
Mandatory helmet law?

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:14 pm

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =9&t=74911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

snafuspyramid

Postby snafuspyramid » Sat May 10, 2014 8:17 am

il padrone wrote:I kinda doubt that. She has been very happy with the Altura gloves, and I have found them fine as well, not over-heating in them. They are waterproof and breathable and I've found them good in rain and not subject to sauna conditions. I wore them riding to work these past two cold mornings in Melbourne, and wore them almost all day last Sunday up at Woodend and Trentham.
Hi Il Padrone - I stand corrected. My limited experience of waterproof gloves was that they have all of the problems that waterproof membranes do, without the ability to ventilate. They also took ages to dry - I would have to dry the outside and then turn them inside out for a few hours or they'd stay wet. I was looking into waterproof gloves again last year and this seemed to be the consensus experience. However, I'll look into the Altura ones. What sort of temperatures do you use them in? I imagine it would have to be sub ten degrees for the membranes to be effective.

You are probably right about your wife's gloves of course - I simply mean to point out that what one person finds tolerable another might not - and that that should drive one's choice.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat May 10, 2014 8:34 am

snafuspyramid wrote: My limited experience of waterproof gloves was that they have all of the problems that waterproof membranes do
I have a couple of different pairs that use the multiple layers that windproof, weatherproof and breathable jackets are made of, Snafus. They're excellent.

I also have a set of Sealskinz I use when its pouring. Genuinely waterproof, but of course has to dry out after sweat accumulates and rain has seeped in from the wrists.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat May 10, 2014 9:45 am

snafuspyramid wrote:However, I'll look into the Altura ones. What sort of temperatures do you use them in? I imagine it would have to be sub ten degrees for the membranes to be effective.
Yes, generally I'd be using them in temps of 10 degrees and below. Much above that and they are just too warm. Anyway, above 10-12 degrees I find that I really don't need much more than my normal cycling mitts. At times in borderline conditions (not raining) I will wear some Macpac thermal gloves under the mitts and they are quite warm and not sweaty.
Mandatory helmet law?