Todays rides

skull

Re: Todays rides

Postby skull » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:14 pm

I rode up mt Ainsle this morning. Was in that much pain I didn't notice the wind.

However went soft this afternoon and got the wife to collect me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

nescius

Postby nescius » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Ride out to the club champs road race, race, ride home - 145km all up. Got dropped a couple of times in the race but managed to reel them in on the descents, put myself in a good position for the sprint finish (4th wheel), got out of the saddle to sprint and got massive cramps in both quads immediately. I think I crossed the line around 10th or so, but I was happy to be there at the end given my poor performance on the hills.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:39 pm

I ran out of time so I had to drive out. Managed to snare 3rd in A, but didn't feature in the results table because I am not a CCC or VCC club member. My CA licence is affiliated with CORC. It was an epic race. Ours had lots of little attacks. By the second time up Blue Range it had shattered to pieces. Good fun, and happy to be at the pointy end on my first CCC/VCC race.

nescius

Postby nescius » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Well done, that's a great result! Bit of a shame you didn't get a medal or anything :(

I was racing C Grade, I had a lot of fun on the descents, but weighing in at 80kg the hilly course didn't really suit me (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :wink: ). We shelled a lot of people on the first lap on the climb from the creek up to the dirt, then it was pretty much the same bunch all the way to the finish, a couple of guys were off the front up the false flat but we reeled them in, then my sprint didn't happen and that was it :oops:
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:48 pm

Cheers. I hope I dont get excluded from the actual results as well. I wont mind foregoing a medal if my position makes it into the historical results. Not sure where to find them, though. CCC and VCC sites arent like Vets.

It looked like C grade/ A Grade women was a massive bunch. Lots of competition. 10th in that chaos is a pretty damn good result. I dispute the claim of a climbers course, but only cos there is no hilltop finish. Certainly 1100m climb over 70kms is hilly. All the climbing is just too far from the finish, though.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Results are up on Canberra Roadies Google Group and Vikings forum but not on CCC website yet

http://forum.vikingscycling.org.au/show ... php?t=6943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:08 pm

An interesting start ... then it started raining. It was too soft to pursue. I'll try again tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I was trying to determine if from One Tree Hill to Oak Hill is the best (easiest) direction. I've done the reverse direction a while back. It ain't as flat as it looks. The gates NE of Hall are still padlocked, hopefully that will change on Sunday when the 140+ kilkometre Centennial Trail officially opens.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

nescius

Postby nescius » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:21 am

Bilbys bunch this morning, I rode with the fast bunch for the first time and it felt fairly quick. I had no trouble on the flat sections, or the downhill sections, or the short uphill pinches but fell off the back towards the top of the climb up Kingsford Smith, lucky for me the bunch usually slows to regroup shortly after so I could get back on. Checking Strava after the ride confirmed it was pretty quick and I set PRs all over the place. It was a perfect morning for a ride. Average speed for the loop was 39kmh.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:48 pm

It was a good hit out. Aaron is a strong mofo. Glad I could contribute getting back into form after illness and having crit legs. Nice riding with you. Cheers.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:56 am

This morning I saw 3 cars stopped on State Circle (westbound) just at the corner where you turn off to the American embassy and assumed the worst. Of course they were all parked in the bike lane and I saw 2 bikes parked there too. So I slowed and hoped to god it wasn’t anyone I knew.

There was a youngish blond/red headish guy in black who was sitting there with bloody left hand/elbows/knee and leg but he was on a mobile phone talking to someone. Another cyclist had stopped and he started to leave as i came past. There were about 4 other adult drivers there helping this guy and waiting for police or ambulance or whatever so I didn’t bother staying.

As I passed, the leaving cyclist started off too so we rode down to CW bridge together. I asked if he was okay and he said he expects so. Apparently the cyclist had turned down the hill onto state circle at the Lodge but I’m not sure what exactly happened whether an oncoming car turned right across in front of him, or whether someone turning left from the American embassy street turned right into state circle across him, or someone turning left onto state circle got him. If "Andrew from Weston Creek" is on here, that was me you were talking to. :D

It’s nice to know that people can and do stop if and when the unfortunate happens.

I hope the hit rider is okay.

nescius

Postby nescius » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:57 am

I did the Vikings Norman fast bunch this morning, there was no race last night so I knew there would probably be a bigger than usual turnout, but it was even bigger than I expected. There must have been 40 or 50 in the fast bunch (at the start anyway) and the pace was very hot. I got dropped a couple of times but through the luck of the lights I managed to get back on and finished with the front group of 12 or so, it was a pretty high intensity ride with the average speed for the loop over 40kmh. I was pretty happy to be able to get back on after being dropped, then recover and pull turns again.

I went and did a black mountain E2 effort afterwards with a couple of the guys from my team, I didn't have much left in the legs but seemed to cruise up ok in under 12 minutes which was good enough for me.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:22 pm

Today's rides ... well, how about yesterday's commuting?

Office Staff, Canberra 1946 ... a Frank Hinder lithograph.

I remember when the Chamaecyprus obtusa and Thuga occidentalis were only slightly bigger.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Sat May 03, 2014 7:00 pm

are we missing some of the fold in cold wintery canberra? I was thinking that i haven't seen Mr Golf around on here for months. Or Twiz? Have they given up forums? I wouldn't assume they'd give up cycling. Eric is another one that hasn't been around for a while.

Is there anyone else? I hope they're all still okay. If 'other life' has just gotten in the way, that's okay as they're still rolling on.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat May 03, 2014 8:32 pm

cp123 wrote:are we missing some of the fold in cold wintery canberra? I was thinking that i haven't seen Mr Golf around on here for months. Or Twiz? Have they given up forums? I wouldn't assume they'd give up cycling. Eric is another one that hasn't been around for a while.

Is there anyone else? I hope they're all still okay. If 'other life' has just gotten in the way, that's okay as they're still rolling on.
I've seen both mrgolf and twizzle actually riding. I suspect life has got in the way of BNA time.

Cheers,

Cameron

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun May 04, 2014 11:41 am

Eric moved back to Taiwan. Not sure if he plans to come back in the future.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

skull

Postby skull » Tue May 06, 2014 5:21 pm

Twiz is around,is taking a break from the forums.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed May 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Still riding much. Haven't had much to report.

Other than a new roadie and a couple of projects including training/commuting disc roadie and TT bike. Other than that - nothing going on.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:59 pm

no worries all - don't think i'm a crazy cyber stalker or anything - just wondering - that's all.

:lol: good to know you're all still kicking along.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri May 09, 2014 12:20 pm

mrgolf wrote:Still riding much. Haven't had much to report.

Other than a new roadie and a couple of projects including training/commuting disc roadie and TT bike. Other than that - nothing going on.
Except a few dozen new Strava KOMs...and winning nearly every race you enter! :twisted:

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun May 11, 2014 10:16 pm

Not so the Haycarters. And about half the races I entered this year. Gilding the lily there, Ross.

You racing Gunning? Should have my new rig running out there. Hoping a bit of new kit enthusiasm might keep me afloat.

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon May 12, 2014 7:05 am

Gunning - probably, if I can work out how to enter. Can they make it anymore complicated?

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Mon May 12, 2014 6:22 pm

Did mine online today. Links worked fine. Just hard to remember password and username when only used twice a year.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue May 13, 2014 12:40 pm

Yes I worked it out, luckily I still had an email with the password details. Don't know why it can't be run as every other race is and pay on the day.

ACT SC600

Postby ACT SC600 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:22 pm

Ross wrote:Yes I worked it out, luckily I still had an email with the password details. Don't know why it can't be run as every other race is and pay on the day.
Us 'Oldies' have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the now (i feel for those that are not real tech savvy)..... I still have to enter (and thank goodness I have dropped down a grade)

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri May 16, 2014 1:10 pm

I heard a radio announcement this morning re cyclist vs truck at the corner of State Circle and Melbourne Ave - approx. 6.30 or 7 am. Does anybody know any more? :|