Shogun Appreciation Society

WestcoastPete

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby WestcoastPete » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:45 pm

Hey, anyone with a Metro SE wanna tell me what seat post diameter they've got sticking out of it? I'm measuring between 26.8mm and 27.0mm.

Ta

Mine's like this one:

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:52 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:Hey, anyone with a Metro SE wanna tell me what seat post diameter they've got sticking out of it? I'm measuring between 26.8mm and 27.0mm.

Ta

Mine's like this one:
chop wood

munga

Postby munga » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:50 pm

landscapecadmonkey wrote:
WestcoastPete wrote:Hey, anyone with a Metro SE wanna tell me what seat post diameter they've got sticking out of it? I'm measuring between 26.8mm and 27.0mm.

Ta

Mine's like this one:
hey man, someone said they saw my old blue shogun at west end the other week. good to hear the new owner's still enjoying her. :D

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:01 pm

munga wrote:

Ta

Mine's like this one:
hey man, someone said they saw my old blue shogun at west end the other week. good to hear the new owner's still enjoying her. :D
Hi Shannon
The Samarai is a perfect combination of looks and ride, in a relative unassuming brand so flies a bit under the radar. She was, and is still rapted with it.
chop wood

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:47 pm

Ta

Mine's like this one:
Ta mate.

BluntGraffix

Postby BluntGraffix » Fri May 09, 2014 1:08 pm

Greetings! Here are my 2 Vintage Shogun's. I picked these up over a year ago, one on craigslist and the other off ebay. Just finished a build on the first one and will begin the second in the next next couple of weeks.

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Sat May 10, 2014 11:00 am

Been a few weeks in the making.. a Shogun Celeste Beau which I believe to be from around 1988. Bought this from Wazza, and I think this also once belonged to LG too. All of the components are from 87 (Turbo), 88 (frame+fork) and 89 (6400 group). Cinelli XA stem and Giro bars from the same period too.

VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Sindog

Postby Sindog » Sat May 10, 2014 12:32 pm

rustguard wrote:I was visiting my dad at christmas so I snapped some photos of his shogun prairie breaker, which is a long cut above a trail breaker. My dad brought the bike of my uncle, its deore equipped, double wall rims. but it is the frame quality that stands out to me. all cromo, double butted frame. Its not down to an ultralight, not heavy either, but solid as a rock and very well finished.
Hey, thanks for posting these pics. Do you know what make the rims are?

Its a shame I didnt give it a good clean before I took the pics, not sure the images do the frame full justice.
Also check out the diameter of the brake cables, they are like motorbike cables.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun May 11, 2014 9:06 pm

the American shoguns don't really seem to be very similar to the Aussie ones at all, do they? Is there in indication they were the same company or got bikes form the same Japanese factory even?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun May 11, 2014 9:50 pm

Same company with different spec. You've got to remember that in the late 80's and 90's the Aussie dollar was worth 5/8 of bugger all against the greenback and bicycles where slugged with luxury goods tax. Your average American MTB rider had more buying power then the standard Aussie battler back then.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Mon May 12, 2014 9:40 am

So.. it's not retro, but it's Shogun and finding information on these things seems to be damned near impossible.. I picked this "Shogun Samurai" up from Gumtree over the weekend for what I believe to be an absolute steal and would like to learn more about it (factory specs etc - I'm sure not much, if anything, has been changed but these things interest me and it's been doing my head in that I can't find ANYTHING about it online!).

All I know about it:

If the decals are to be believed, it is a Shogun Samurai
It has Tiagra groupset, except the brakes which are Tektro
Rims are Alex Rims ATA22
Headset is cane creek

I haven't even been able to find a picture of another one online in the same colours to be able to work out what year it is (don't think it's more than a couple of years old). When I look for the brand I come to a website for Claude Butler cycles in the UK, who apparently bought them out, but there isn't even a mention of Shogun on their website. The brand still seems to be available new in stores, so they must still exist somewhere haha.

ImageImageImageImage

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon May 12, 2014 2:52 pm

A Tiagra 9 speed setup would suggest an early 2000's build. Check the date code on the sti levers or the rear derailleur to confirm it.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Mon May 12, 2014 5:11 pm

Couldn't see the date code on levers or RD (had a baby hanging off me so had to cut my search short lol).

Did spot the serial number though.. Would this suggest it's perhaps an 05 or 07?Image

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Mon May 12, 2014 6:27 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Same company with different spec. You've got to remember that in the late 80's and 90's the Aussie dollar was worth 5/8 of bugger all against the greenback and bicycles where slugged with luxury goods tax. Your average American MTB rider had more buying power then the standard Aussie battler back then.
cheers.. so that explains why they got the cool head badges? But what about tubing - I notice that one of the frames bluntgraffix posted says Hi-Ten on the top tube, but aussie shoguns of that period are all chromoly, no?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon May 12, 2014 7:52 pm

Depends on the model. Shoguns here, although the majority where not high spec, where a premium brand.

munga

Postby munga » Mon May 12, 2014 8:08 pm

WarbyD wrote:Couldn't see the date code on levers or RD (had a baby hanging off me so had to cut my search short lol).

Did spot the serial number though.. Would this suggest it's perhaps an 05 or 07?Image

maybe. probably not.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Mon May 12, 2014 8:09 pm

There's a sticker from the distributor on the downtube - might get in touch with them tomorrow

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Tue May 13, 2014 12:02 pm

munga wrote:
WarbyD wrote:Couldn't see the date code on levers or RD (had a baby hanging off me so had to cut my search short lol).

maybe. probably not.
maybe the 3 in the upper line means 2003

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Tue May 13, 2014 1:22 pm

Got in contact with Bike Corp, the importer, via their online contact page and within 15 minutes had a response! Stoked! Turns out it is a 2003 (good guess yugyug!), with a RRP of $1499 (I paid $200!). This bike being 11 years old absolutely stuns me - It is in BRAND NEW condition, right down to the stickers on the downtube.

Glad to have the info that I was after - full specs and all :) It's all in PDF, don't think I can attach it here though.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue May 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Samurai in Sydney with low start price. Posted in ebay thread.

Cheers,

Cameron

OzCammo

Postby OzCammo » Thu May 22, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi new to the world of shogun (and road bikes in general) I was hoping someone could satisfy some curiosity. I rescued an old road bike from a dumpster years ago after recognising it had decent gear on it. It was painted crudely in spray paint. Today I finally started removing the paint and discovered it's a Shogun Selectra. The only other decals I could find was a *designed in Australia* and a Hi-Ten sticker on the fork. Has a weird serial number too. Stamped SP then engraved numbers then a couple stamped. Was considering turning this into an everyday commuter, even though the frame appears is a little big for me.
Searching for hours I can not find any others like it. especially with the *designed in Australia* decal/reference.
Even the design of the frame differs around the seat to other Selectra's I found. It doesn't seem to have that scallop on the tube.
Has decent , although in bad shape, gear on it, so I don't think it was cheap new.
Any ideas or somewhere I can look further into would be greatly appreciated.
Cam

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Fri May 23, 2014 10:09 am

I think my ninja has a designed in australia decal on it behind the seat tube, along with the distributors information.

Your selectra would be made in Taiwan though, maybe Japan depending on the year. Whats the frame color and pattern and what do those serial numbers say?

Selectra was the lower end of the Shogun road bike range. Frame is probably still Tange cromo but perhaps not butted. It would make a good commuter. Only going off what I know from the few catalogs I've seen though.

OzCammo

Postby OzCammo » Sat May 24, 2014 9:27 am

Thanks for your response, From what original paint and decals I can salvage, it was black with white logos and with goldish shadowing decals. also a couple or funky looking oval pink and white decals have survived on the seat post and stem. The Shogun decal is Really big, nearly the whole length of the tube.
The best I can do on the serial number is SP (448691) 78. The numbers in the brackets are either slightly altered or not stamped properly , they seem to overlap each other. It's the best I can decipher it. Possibly atlered, it may have had a slightly shandy past. Looking closely at it I should be able to salvage pretty much everything but the wheels, a little too much corrosion. Shimano Tourney gearing and bit and Sakae crankset. so entry level stuff, but decent quality. Hopefully get nice cheapish bike.

Worldofdub

Postby Worldofdub » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:19 pm

I just got this off eBay, with the intention of returning it to geared form.

Despite much searching of the forum, I've not managed to work out the year or what it might have looked like to start with. It is one of the Taiwan versions:

Ta,

WoD

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:35 pm

I had a Samurai from the same era, I think it's about 1995
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes